Another Scam?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by maxterpiece, Aug 4, 2004.

1. maxterpiece macrumors 6502a

maxterpiece

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

99% likely, they are pirated pieces of software. Save your money.

Legitimate software will come with an end user license agreement.

3. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

OEM software is out there to be had cheaply if you know where to look. It doesn't necessarily mean it's pirated. It's supposed to ship with with a new system though, so I'm not sure of the legality of selling them by themselves.

I spotted a couple of red flags reading through their FAQ: 1. No Mac titles--why continue the discussion? 2. Software cannot be registered with the manufacturer. Why? 3. Software is shipped from Europe. All good scams put your money overseas.

If you want OEM software, go to your local computer fair.

4. MikeLaRiviere macrumors regular

I'd say order it with your credit card, and try registering with the manufacturer. If it does not register, call the manufacturer and ask why. If the company stiffs you and does not send you the software, just call your credit card company and they'll get you a refund. Be sure NOT to use PayPal (though I don't think this is an option), because PayPal does not always refund the full amount, or anything. Your credit card will always get you a full refund, as required by law.

Mike LaRiviere

5. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I think giving your credit card to a questionable company is an extraordinarily bad idea.
    Great way to have your credit ruined.

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

7. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

a lot of large credit card companies will give you a free one time use number linked to your credit card. that way you can make one payment to an unknown online retailer and if they steal that number they can no longer use it! i know my credit card company does that. you should see if yours does, then you can feel safe about buying stuff online.

8. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Excellent point. IMO, this is an even bigger reason not to use this site. Chances are just too high that it's a phishing scam of sorts. You would end up giving up a credit card number, name, billing address, and shipping address. It's just too fishy.

9. friarbayliff macrumors regular

yeah, an overseas company with such outrageous claims does seem rather fishy. There are plenty of other places to find really cheap software (that are legitimate too!)

10. maxterpiece thread starter macrumors 6502a

maxterpiece

So where do i get this legitimate really cheap software?

11. win_convert macrumors member

If you have to ask the question, It is a scam.

12. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

IMO, you cannot get legitimate OEM software, REALLY cheap.

13. MikeLaRiviere macrumors regular

The idea of a one-use CC number is pretty cool... I'll have to look into that. However, bear in mind that you don't owe any money on unauthorized payments; it's the credit card's guarantee, as well as federal law (something like the Consumer Credit Act, I don't remember the exact name). Obviously, you're going to want to look at your CC company's terms before you try such a purchase, and not all debit cards offer the guarantee (most don't, probably), but I and people I know have received full refunds for unauthorized/disputed payments.

Mike LaRiviere

14. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

But the onus is on you to prove that you did not make those purchases. Which might not be difficult if you live in Chicago and someone's buying cases of vodka in the Ukraine. However, sometimes this foolishness can end up on a credit report which is HELL to get cleaned up. Often people battle for years to have their credit cleaned up.

15. TreeHugger macrumors 6502

I agree, and frankly I don't believe it's worth the hassle. I'd rather have my piece of mind and keep my sanity, even if it meens I have to shell out a bit more for software.

Maybe you can get educational pricing if your a student or teacher?