Another "Should I Wait" Thread

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Zwhaler, Jun 22, 2006.

1. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Ok, I was hoping that a little bit before the end of this year I would purchase an iMac featuring Merom (or whatever it gets) and a MacBook Pro (with Conroe or whatever it gets), but since Leapord will most likely be released around that time, should I wait until 2007 when Leapord is released?

I have the education discount, so I could by Leapord for 50$ (if it sells for $100 regularly), or should I just wait until it is standard on all systems?

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

There's always something better around the corner. No one really knows when Leopard is coming...we're hoping for MWSF 2007, but it wouldn't surprise me if we only get an announcement then for shipping a month or two later. If you're okay with holding out that long for new machines, go right ahead. (You'll also likely get iLife '07 after the new year.)

But if you need the machines sooner, you should get them and worry about upgrading software later.

3. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

you have them mixed up:

imac -> conroe

MBP -> merom

if you need it now buy it, if you dont wait untill you do, simple as.

4. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Merom could easily end up being the next iMac chip- like a laptop, the iMac does need to worry about heat output and power consumption due to the small form factor.

5. Caitlyn macrumors 6502a

Well, if it were any other Mac, I'd tell you to wait. However, the iMacs are due for an upgrade and a lot of people are speculating WWDC will be it. Maybe just wait until then. Then, if there is nothing at WWDC, buy! :)

6. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

7. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Even a dual core?

8. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Well, if you wait till 2007, Intel should unleash Kentsfield around that time (4 cores :) ). But 2007 seems like a long time to wait, if you need a new machine I would have no problem settling for a current revision of either the iMac or MacBook Pro. I could see waiting for Merom/Conroe, but not until 2007 unless your need to upgrade is very minimal.