Another "Should I Wait" Thread

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Zwhaler, Jun 22, 2006.

  1. Zwhaler macrumors 603

    Zwhaler

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2006
    #1
    Ok, I was hoping that a little bit before the end of this year I would purchase an iMac featuring Merom (or whatever it gets) and a MacBook Pro (with Conroe or whatever it gets), but since Leapord will most likely be released around that time, should I wait until 2007 when Leapord is released?

    I have the education discount, so I could by Leapord for 50$ (if it sells for $100 regularly), or should I just wait until it is standard on all systems?
     
  2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

    WildCowboy

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2005
    #2
    There's always something better around the corner. No one really knows when Leopard is coming...we're hoping for MWSF 2007, but it wouldn't surprise me if we only get an announcement then for shipping a month or two later. If you're okay with holding out that long for new machines, go right ahead. (You'll also likely get iLife '07 after the new year.)

    But if you need the machines sooner, you should get them and worry about upgrading software later.
     
  3. Mord macrumors G4

    Mord

    Joined:
    Aug 24, 2003
    Location:
    UK
    #3
    you have them mixed up:

    imac -> conroe

    MBP -> merom


    if you need it now buy it, if you dont wait untill you do, simple as.
     
  4. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

    GFLPraxis

    Joined:
    Mar 17, 2004
    #4
    Merom could easily end up being the next iMac chip- like a laptop, the iMac does need to worry about heat output and power consumption due to the small form factor.
     
  5. Caitlyn macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2005
    #5
    Well, if it were any other Mac, I'd tell you to wait. However, the iMacs are due for an upgrade and a lot of people are speculating WWDC will be it. Maybe just wait until then. Then, if there is nothing at WWDC, buy! :)
     
  6. Mord macrumors G4

    Mord

    Joined:
    Aug 24, 2003
    Location:
    UK
  7. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

    GFLPraxis

    Joined:
    Mar 17, 2004
    #7
    Even a dual core?
     
  8. dmw007 macrumors G4

    dmw007

    Joined:
    May 26, 2005
    Location:
    Working for MI-6
    #8
    Well, if you wait till 2007, Intel should unleash Kentsfield around that time (4 cores :) ). But 2007 seems like a long time to wait, if you need a new machine I would have no problem settling for a current revision of either the iMac or MacBook Pro. I could see waiting for Merom/Conroe, but not until 2007 unless your need to upgrade is very minimal.
     

Share This Page