Another Signing Statement

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by skunk, Dec 21, 2006.

1. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

http://today.reuters.com/news/artic...IA-USA.xml&WTmodLoc=Home-C2-TopNews-newsOne-6

No change there, then.

2. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

How absolutely arrogant.

Once again, let me say that while impeachment isn't a good option right now, Bush is doing everything he possibly can to make it so. All Congress has to do is conduct hearings or (preferably) an independent investigation into Bush's behavior, and they'll have the evidence to not only impeach him, but to do it with general public approval.

But first they've got to stop being scared of the idea. Bush has never been so isolated and unpopular. As Bobby Kennedy once asked, "If not now...when??"

3. stillwater macrumors regular

"domestic issue of government power"

That sounds like the executive branch asserting supremacy over the legislative branch to me.

The main problem I see with impeaching Dubya is "President Cheney". :eek:

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Has there ever been an entire administration impeached? These people are unreal. Impeachment at this point is a duty.

5. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

I was so angry when Pelosi said "impeachment is off the table".

If she doesn't do something, she will have proven that the Dems are indeed cowardly and spineless.

6. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i absolutely agree

agree with this too. and i'm afraid that'll be proven sooner than later.

7. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I'm not defending Bush's frequent use of "signing statements," but in reality, the authorities of the branches are always in tension. Congress can exert only limited authority over the Executive.

8. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Signing statements are his way of making his own rules as he goes. Congress needs to wake up. My guess is with every signing statement some law has been broken, dismissed or ignored. This president Bush has more signing statements then any president in history. Whats the point of law if this man can ignore the Constitution, Bill of rights, Geneva Convention?

9. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I'd say now that the Dems are in power he won't get away with that as much anymore, but, you know... The Dems don't want to impeach either, because they don't want to appear partisan to people who already accuse them of being partisans. The people who elect them want change, and they want it now. They figure they can just let Bush implode and walk into the White House in '08 the way they did in '06, and they might be right. But they have to do something, or else he's going to take the rest of the country with him, and people will stay home instead of bothering to vote for the do nothings who are no better.

It's a fine line, and they better learn to walk it right.

10. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

This president is ignoring law, signing statements are a sneaky way around it. I think we need to eliminate signing statements and give the line item veto to the president. Take away some power and give him a little back.