ANOTHER solar storm

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by G4scott, Oct 30, 2003.

1. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

The third major geo-magnetic solar storm from a solar flare in two weeks is projected to hit the earth this evening, October 30th...

http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/space/10/30/solar.storm/index.html

Does anybody else find this freaky or what? If somebody had predicted the apocalypse to come like this, we'd be in a lot of trouble...

Another interesting thing about these storms, is that German scientists are doing research to see how they affect global warming. Something about how these storms can reduce the formation of clouds in the atmosphere and stuff like that...

2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

freaky indeed.....I just hope our sun doesn't decide its time to go nova ;)

At least it would be over fast.....

D

3. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

All this is weird. I will try to take a positive spin on the statement that, "3rd most powerful flare on record." If the record keeping is the same as it is for the weather, which is about 150 years. These flares may be only a hiccup in terms of the history fo the solar system.

4. Kid Red macrumors 65816

You mean another solar storm like the one last week that did nothing?

5. tpjunkie macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

I hope we have clear skys at least for this one, I've never seen the northern lights, and at school in albany I should be far enough north to actually see it for this storm.

6. Zenith macrumors 6502

Zenith

These geomagnetic storms are really impressive! And the result is; a LOT of auroras. I've been out watching the sky for a couple of days now, and it's been a hell of a show. I don't think i remember a time when there was such an amount of auroras here in Norway, and these ones are really big and bright too.

I remember one time when i was a little child, about 6 years old, and then it was some huge auroras in our sky. My parents woke me up and took me out to see it. And it was a once in a lifetime experience which I remember pretty well even today. The sky was red, green and yellow. And the auroras was coming straight down on me.

Now I live about 300 miles further north and I've seen a lot more auroras here frequently. But the last two days has been astonishing! Non-stop auroras... All night. I've taken some pics as well, but I don't think they're good. I had to hold the camera (my friends camera) and the exposure was really long... So, they got all blurry and stuff. But you can see the auroras tho. Maybe I'll upload the best ones later. :)

7. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

There were even auroras over DC last night - but you could see them very well. I wish I had gone out of the city last night and taken a look. Would have been great stuff.

All this reminds me of the opening to the movie 'The Core'.....;)

I just hope its a nice show and not something that we have to worry about.

D

8. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Our local ABC affiliate WCVB on the local 11pm news cast showed video of the auroras that occured in outlying suburbs. It was quite impressve. They describe it as curtain color. That is just what it looked like on TV. It came in purple, red, blue, and yellow!

9. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

Please do! I've always wanted to see an aurora