another surround sound question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jerkstore01, Oct 29, 2006.

1. jerkstore01 macrumors newbie

Oct 29, 2006
    new brunswick, canada

I'm a new mac user. I have checked the forums for an answer to my question but came up blank. I have 7.1 surround sound speakers. I wanted to hook them up to my macbook. I was wondering if Decoder DDTS-100 by creative would be able to connect to the speakers i have. The speakers I have do not have optical in Am i better off just getting a griffin firewave.

description of Decoder DDTS-100 by creative:

Creative Decoder DDTS-100 adds superbly dramatic audio quality to your home entertainment. Designed with DTS®-ES and Dolby® Digital EX processing, Decoder DDTS-100 is capable of decoding up to 6.1-channel audio to deliver a superior digital surround sound theater experience. Decoder DDTS-100 supports connectivity up to a 7.1 speaker configuration1- simply hook up to any 5.1, 6.1 and 7.1 speaker system to enjoy spectacular playback in your DVD movies, music and gaming.

This contemporary decoder also features Dolby Pro Logic II and DTS NEO:6 processing to up-mix any 2-channel source for a simulated 5.1 or 6.1 surround soundstage. With multiple audio input, you can also enjoy an expansive connectivity to a host of digital and analogue entertainment devices like DVD and CD players. To top it all off, Creative Decoder DDTS-100 comes with an individual output channel level adjust for you to fine tune the output channel levels relative to your listening position to your preference.

* Supports Creative speakers up to 7.1 configuration
    * Advanced Digital Technology decodes up to 6.1-channel audio format
    o Dolby Digital EX
    o DTS-ES (Matrix and Discrete)
    o Dolby Pro Logic II (Movie and Music modes)
    o DTS NEO:6 (Cinema and Music modes)
    * Maximum Versatility and Connectivity
    o 3 Optical inputs
    o 1 Coaxial input
    o 3 Analogue stereo inputs
    o 7.1 Analogue input/output (via Switch Box)
    o 2 Headphones outputs
    o Feature-rich wireless remote
    * Connects up to 8 audio devices simultaneously - 4 digital and 4 analog

the speakers I have:

Any input on dilemma would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
  2. Killyp macrumors 68040

Jun 14, 2006
    Get the firewave. The creative shizzle would work, but it would be fiddly. The firewave is your best option. :)