Another swimmer bitten by shark off Florida coast

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by emw, Jul 1, 2005.

1. emw macrumors G4

Aug 2, 2004

Hard to believe there have been so many attacks recently - one girl died, a boy lost a leg and now this. This is highly unusual for Florida.
  2. pubwvj macrumors 68000

Oct 1, 2004
    Mountains of Vermont
    Not really. 30 attacks per year. Probably most are in the swim season - summer. 20 weeks? Makes that about 1.5 attacks per week.

"You may safely return to the water." Not.
  3. dejo Moderator

Staff Member

Sep 2, 2004
    The Centennial State
    Yeah, probably not an increase in attacks, just an increase in them being reported. The mainstream media is like that. For example, did you know there are other breeds of dogs besides pit bulls that attack people?
  4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    Don't forget all the cats that attack people.

Sort of interesting how many "news" reports on a certain news item happen when it's a hot topic.

You'd think planes are falling out of the sky when they report airplane accidents.
  5. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    An attack by a dog is scary. It would seem that a shark would even be worse with their large size, being in the water they are in control. We are considered the invader to them. My prayers go out to the victims and their families.
  6. iJon macrumors 604

Feb 7, 2002
    I fly out to Destin tomorrow and I damn well know I'm not getting in the water. I'm staying in my chair on the beach with a drink and that's it.

7. mcarnes macrumors 68000

Mar 14, 2004
    USA! USA!
    Wuss. (kidding!) :D
  8. MacFan25863 macrumors 6502a

Jun 20, 2004
    But what about the landsharks?
  9. mymemory macrumors 68020

May 9, 2001
    Oh yeah, I saw this cat yesterday carrying some one's leg :rolleyes:
  10. Inspector Lee macrumors 6502a

Inspector Lee

Jan 24, 2004
    East Lansing, MI
    Not necessarily. There is a boy missing in Yellowstone for over a week now, accidently fell into the Yellowstone river and was swept. But the "news" isn't jamming it because of everything that just went down in Utah.

Back on topic, I don't do the ocean thing. My buddy in LA often "goes past the pier" which I find just plain nuts. The panhandle isn't known for big sharks either but the little ones can be just as dangerous if they bite you in the right place (i.e. femoral artery).

What I find scary is that when a shark hits you, he/she/it has been watching you for a while, making languid passes and getting closer with each pass. 5 minutes? 10 minutes? Heck, I don't go hells bells in the lakes around here for fear of turtles.

I'll stick to grizzly and black bear country because at least I have a chance. I can try to get crafty because land is my domain also. But the sea is totally different.
  11. quackattack macrumors 6502a

Aug 13, 2004
    Boise, ID
    I'm flying to Florida next week. I'm with you, I am staying dry!
  12. Dros macrumors 6502

Jun 25, 2003
    Once when I was younger I swam from one small tropical atoll to another. It wasn't too far, and at the time I was perfectly happy doing it. But now, when I think about the coral reef falling away down below, and how it quickly got to be hundreds of feet deep, it freaks me out a little. Who knows what sort of creatures were passing below me? A shark, a giant squid... reaching up and pulling me under without a sound, my last sight a giant gnashing beak bearing down on my skull...

13. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    Come on, is it that big a deal? Those little sharks are just getting their first taste of humanity.

Seriously, there have not been that many attacks. It's just that every time anything happens, people think Jaws. They should mention all the times people have been pulled under by rip currents because they weren't paying attention or thought that couldn't happen to them. It's quite a bit more frequent than shark attacks.
  14. dejo Moderator

Staff Member

Sep 2, 2004
    The Centennial State
    Yeah, but riptide attacks aren't nearly as sensational as shark attacks.

"Sensationalism is the path to the Dark Side. Sensationalism leads to viewers. Viewers lead to ratings. Ratings lead to increased ad revenue.

I sense much sensationalism in you..."
  15. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

May 2, 2005
    If I were in the situation where I'd have to get in the water, I wouldn't. I don't like beach water. It's full of icky things. Sea weed, fish, jelly fish, fishie poo...
    I'll take my chemical-laden pool any day of the week! I DO enjoy the sand... but not the water.

Yeah, I'm a sissy. Oh well. :)
  16. Inspector Lee macrumors 6502a

Inspector Lee

Jan 24, 2004
    East Lansing, MI
    Me too and I won't deny it. There is something about the water (read: murky neck deep water) that puts me on the ropes whether it be shark-croc-turtle-large butt white american-infested water.

I mean if the feces hits the fan and you're neck deep in water, you've got no shot...
  17. xsedrinam macrumors 601

Oct 21, 2004
    Our family has vacationed for 6 years (one week) at Navarre, FL., just a stone's throw from Ft. Walton beach. We couldn't make it this year and, from all the weird goings on, I'm okay with that. ;)