Another Switcher IMAC 17 vs 20

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by jeffgtr, May 9, 2005.

1. jeffgtr macrumors regular

May 9, 2005
    It's been awhile since I've had a mac (last mac was a color classic). I do web design and development so I still need to keep and maintain the winxp box (Athlon XP3000) soooo I'd love to have a powermac but I have to keep it real money wise. I'm looking at the imacs. For the most part I"ll be running Office, Photoshop, and Cubase SX 3 as well as the usual web stuff. I know I'll need a minimum of a 1 gig RAM. The big question is is the 20" screen really worth it? Unfortunately I live in a rural area and not sure when I can get to an apple store to view the diff in person.

But then again, what about virtual PC? Does it really work for running IIS and testing out web apps? I'll post that question in another thread, because if it does I might be able to ditch the Athlon box and get a Power Mac.
  2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    I'm getting a 17-inch screen but that's only because I can't justify spending the extra money to get a superdrive, let alone the 20-inch screen. If you're choosing between the 17-inch superdrive model and the 20-inch, I'd go with the later every time. It's just a little bit more expensive for a stunning screen. However, value-wise, I still think the bottom of the range 17-inch model represents the best value.
  3. Etrain macrumors 6502

Feb 26, 2005
    Land of Cleve
    Well I feel the 20" is worth the extra money. Since the display is widescreen, the 17" seems really small. Not only that but the quality of the 20" screen seems far superior. It seems brighter and it has a protective coating over the LCD which prevents damage.

If you already have another computer you will keep using, why not get a mini? I am assuming you already have a nice monitor you are running with the Win box. There are many reasons to go for the iMac over the mini, but it's a thought. :)
  4. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

May 28, 2004
    In a false sense of reality...My Mind!
    Hi, if Cubase is 3D based then the larger screen would be of great help not to mention if you do a good amount of PS work. As for Office you can have two word docs. open at the same time (next to each other) and not have the screen seem to crammed.
    So I would go with the 20" (I plan on it myself) :D