Another switcher!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Marlon_JBT, Aug 27, 2005.

1. Marlon_JBT macrumors 6502

Sep 22, 2003
    Detroit, Michigan
    Heh, I managed to talk my cousin into an eMac. She's going to college, and is on a budget, so I suggested it, because it's one of the best values in the Mac line, and is very underrated.

basic eMac... 1.42GHz, Combo Drive, 256MB Ram.

I think it was the spyware and viruses that made her want to switch. I got tired of going over their house to format their drives.

Meanwhile, I just upgraded to a 60GB hard drive in my Rev. A 12". I also picked up 512MB of RAM from Best Buy... original retail: $200. Price I paid? $57, I believe. ;) Was this a good decision, or should I go for more, somehow?

Her mother wanted her to buy one of those $299 PCs that are on TV at like 3AM. :rolleyes: We weren't having it. I can't wait to play with the new eMac!

I think she bought AppleCare... not too sure on that, I'll have to check.

I hope she likes it!
  2. MacDawg macrumors P6

Mar 20, 2004
    "Between the Hedges"
    Good luck to her! I know your maintenance time will be cut down now. But she will find herself wanting to be productive now, so watch out!

The eMac will be a good entry into the Mac world.

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]
  3. cleanup macrumors 68030

Jun 26, 2005
    Unless you want her to complain and regret her decision, upgrade the RAM. Dear God, upgrade the RAM. Tiger is not very fabulous on 256, even 512.
  4. untamedhysteria macrumors regular

Jul 31, 2005

i really hope she likes her knew eMac...i also got someone to switch recently (like a few weeks ago). I told him how bad-ass my mac was and i guess with his trust with me in computing *me being a technician* he jumped to the apple store and without any hesitation bought a new iMac and iBook for college...he loves every minute of it and has only had a few problems with it (he forgot his password, then didn't know how to copy his music from the iPod onto his new computer). Now if I can only get my mother to cross into the light side, heh.
  5. DJY macrumors 6502a

Dec 20, 2003
    Canberra AUST
    It is always good to hear that there is one more enlightened soul wandering around... but I must admit I think it is even better when we help someone reach their decision... and then watch, grin, and aid them knowingly!
  6. VanMac macrumors 6502a

May 26, 2005
    Rampaging Tokyo
    Good job. Apple should get a program going where you get a free iPod or something for every switcher you bring in :)
  7. Marlon_JBT thread starter macrumors 6502

Sep 22, 2003
    Detroit, Michigan
    Heh, now if I can get her mom to shut up about things being compatible, I'll be alright. :) Yes, that HP printer will work, and YES, that thumb drive will plug into a Dell. :rolleyes:

Heh, I'd love a free iPod for switching someone! I'd sell it for cash cuz I already have a 20GB 4.5G, which I love!