Another tax question

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by yg17, Jan 27, 2007.

1. macrumors G5

yg17

So I e-filed my taxes last night with Turbotax Online and today get a 1099-DIV in the mail from a couple stocks someone bought me as a gift that I completely forgot about. A measly $2.08 in dividends.

I did everything online in Turbotax to fill out a 1040X amended return so I can mail it in. There's actually no net change. I don't owe the IRS any more, they don't owe me any more, so I don't see the need to fill this out, but I don't want to end up in jail, so I am anyways.

When I download the PDF of the filled out 1040X from TurboTax's website, the form has the words "FORM NOT FINAL - DO NOT PRINT" placed on top of the text. But the thing is final. And before someone tells me to contact TurboTax, I did, using their online chat:
    Yes, oh how helpful they were :rolleyes:

So it looks like I'll just fill out the damn thing by hand. But I've yet to figure this out...what exactly do I mail in? Just the 1040X? Does the revised copy of my 1040A? The IRS website doesn't seem to say much, and obviously, TurboTax will be of no help.

Thanks

2. macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Just wait until they bill you, or you get your return, and then file the amended return.

Or go to IRS.gov and download the form and fill it out again by hand -- shouldn't take too long.

Looking at the form download section the 1040-X form changed 12-06

3. thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

What should I mail in with it? The IRS site doesn't say if I need to include my changed 1040A or not...

4. macrumors 6502a

killr_b

Did you call the IRS?
    It's their job to provide you with all the help you need to fill out your taxes correctly. That even includes in-person help where they will damn near do it for you. :D

5. thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

That was my first thought, but their help hotline is closed on weekends.

6. macrumors 68000

Deepdale

Todd ... do the following. The only documentation that should accompany the filing of your Form 1040X for tax year 2006 is a copy of the 1099-DIV statement that you received after your original return was submitted. You stated that such a small amount has no effect on your reported tax liability. If you are expecting a refund due you, it is best to wait for that to be received before the amended return with no tax change goes in.