Another Tethering App - iOS

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by iTether, Mar 20, 2012.

1. iTether, Mar 20, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2012

macrumors newbie

There are two new hidden tethering applications in the iTunes App Store. One that's been up for a while is *Rock Paper Scissors* by JGF, the other one is called BSOD Reaction Time by Joseph Lerner. I can confirm that both of them work. Here's a video showing it in action for Rock Paper Scissors:

Here are the download links:

Rock Paper Scissors

BSOD

Here are the instructions for Rock Paper Scissors:
    Download the app
    Start the app
    Press scissors, rock, paper, and then the upper left-hand corner of the screen to access the tethering screen
    Next, go to your computer and set up an ad-hoc network
    Connect your iPhone to that network and set a static IP Address of 13.37.13.37 with the subnet mask of 255.255.255.0
    Now go back to the application and turn on tethering
    On your computer, go to network settings and change the proxy settings
    Put the SOCKS Proxy server as 13.37.13.37 and the port as 1080
    And that's it!

Here are the instructions for BSOD:
    Download the app
    Start the app
    Press the information button
    Click on the text "Unexpected" in the lower right hand corner of the screen
    Go back to the game
    Press ctrl, alt, and then the upper left-hand corner of the screen to access the tethering screen
    Next, go to your computer and set up an ad-hoc network
    Connect your iPhone to that network and set a static IP Address of 13.37.13.37 with the subnet mask of 255.255.255.0
    Now go back to the application and turn on tethering
    On your computer, go to network settings and change the proxy settings
    Put the SOCKS Proxy server as 13.37.13.37 and the port as 1080
    And that's it!

Side Note:
    This app will not share from iPhone to iPad, already tried :(
    I've been using this app for over a week and have not received any calls from Verizon about my unlimited data tethering usage :)
    The app does cost $2.99 :( Worth it if you need internet!
    Hard to remember the combination sometimes, so I came up with this formula - Scissors rock, paper drops. :)
    Someone made a script for connecting quickly
    It appears both developers used this open-source proxy implementation in their apps. So you might be able to use the developers built-in connecting app to connect easily!

2. macrumors newbie

It works. I just downloaded it. It is very similar to Handylight for those that remember that app. I still like Tether better even though you need to be connected via USB.

3. macrumors 6502

4. macrumors 65816

OceanView

Is this wired tether or Wifi Hot Spot?

5. macrumors member

I have downloaded it, however each time I enter the port number and try to connect the application shuts down..any solutions?

6. macrumors 65816

MultiFinder17

It nearly works for me, but when I try and load anything on my Mac, the app on the iPhone crashes. Curious.

7. macrumors member

Wirelessly posted

I have the same problem as multifinder17, any way to fix this issue?

8. macrumors 68020

macingman

I also have the same problem, good to know I'm not the only one. What device and iOS version do you guys have? I am iPhone 4S on 5.1 trying to tether to my Mac.

I'm going to try tethering to my PC to see if the problem is on the mac side.

9. macrumors 68040

braddick

[app]*Rock Paper Scissors*[/app]

(As there are more than one app with about the same title... it's the forth app, counting in top left)

10. macrumors 65816

MultiFinder17

A MacBook Air on Lion (10.7.3) and an iPhone 4S on 5.1 here.

----------

I just tried it with my old MacBook running Snow Leopard - same result. I'm gonna reboot the little guy into Windows and see what happens there.

11. macrumors 65816

MultiFinder17

Well, Windows 7 on my old MacBook seems to be a no-go as well, but at least the app on the iPhone doesn't crash.

12. macrumors 604

lordofthereef

Just search "JGF"

13. macrumors 65816

These ad hock network tethering solutions suck. I have the handylight and never can get it to work. Thankfully I jailbroke so can just use tetherme to activate the personalized hotspot feature. That works great.

14. macrumors 68020

macingman

Sounds like the problem is iOS5.1 hopefully the developer can sneak another update through apple though I doubt it.

I can't jailbreak my phone so I'm always trying to find better ways of tethering (carrier doesn't allow).

15. macrumors 6502

Artimus12

16. thread starter macrumors newbie

Haha, not me. I can confirm that it works though, for all the people that are having trouble.

17. macrumors member

18. thread starter macrumors newbie

There's an update out, I've gotten messages from several people saying that it's fixed now for the people who are having trouble

19. macrumors member

I'm reluctant on purchasing this.... No one here seems to know how to get it to work. ITether show us proof that it works! You seem to be the only one who's promoting this app. All comments on YouTube say it doesn't work as well as the comments on the AppStore.

20. macrumors 68020

macingman

I actually emailed the developer about the issue: no response.

I can confirm it doesn't work. Tried with numerous setuos even after the latest update to the app.

Its a scam. Mods should delete thus thread to ensure no one else falls victim.

21. macrumors 68040

braddick

Doesn't work. The fact it's been in the iTunes app store so long is proof of that.
    A real tethering app?
    Not this one.

22. thread starter macrumors newbie

I can confirm that it works. I've updated the thread and made a video showing that it works.

23. macrumors 68040

braddick

What you can tell us is that since April 28th when I made my observations here, you've fixed it and now it (possibly) works.

24. thread starter macrumors newbie

I did not fix anything, I just updated the post when other people said the update fixed their issues. And when I found out about the new app with it.

I don't understand (possibly). It does work. My video shows it working (and don't get me started about video editing, I don't know how to even get rid of the volume) :) It works, but I'm not forcing you to believe me, or buy the application, I'm merely informing you that these apps do tethering because I think it's cool and I think other people like me might find it cool. Whether you choose to buy them or not is up to you and your own digression. but they work and other people can confirm that they work.

25. macrumors 68040

braddick

OK, well thank you for that, I suppose.
    I did purchase your app, moments after it's release and mention here.

I'm a bit surprised that after many weeks, yours would be the only easter-egg tethering app that is public knowledge yet still in the App store.

You must also feel frustrated at all the one star reviews of other purchasers who suffer the same negative results as I did.