Another thing Apple needs to do!!! (Switch-related)

Discussion in 'Community' started by clairiun, Jul 12, 2003.

1. clairiun macrumors newbie

I took my iBook into work at a bank. There were several people (everyone I showed) who were impressed with OS X and the iBook. However, they had used a Mac in college and had their favorite story of the Mac bombs.

And other people who thought they would have to buy a bunch of new software.

Well, well, well, as the story goes, Apple bought NeXT, but NeXT acquired Apple. People need to know that OS X is an incredible OS. The BEST. And stable!!! And simple and powerful at the same time.

They also need to need to know that they don't need to buy new software. It is all there!!!

What I am basically trying to say is that Apple is just SO CLOSE to getting a lot of people on board. There are so many people who just need that extra nudge, that extra info to take the plunge.

Apple is kicking ass right now. And I hope they continue to what they have been doing for the last few years.

Pat

2. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

what stops a lot of people is price...most pcs are within a few dollars of each other and have similar features

macs seem to have lesser hardware inside and higher prices...what people don't realize is that the most important factor is the seamless experience between hardware and software

3. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

that's not really true when you compare 2 out of the box systems with comparable features (ignoring the significant performance differences b/w the g4 and the pc chips, which of course counts, but is not as controllable)

but, you're right in that they "seem"... well chosen word. :)

4. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

what the pc person really needs to do is to spend time on the mac and they will realize that it is not lacking and will be plenty fast enough

i can't see too many pcs out there that will do what the dual g5 can do...i can't wait to get my hands on one of those babies

the pc world has some amazing machines for a really low price...pentium 4 desktops have come way down, and athlon based laptops are the best deal out there

once apple meets the pc world in price point and i think they can get closer, i think apple will be close to getting those converts then

when it's all said and done, the cheapest pc almost always wins the sale...other pcs may get the bragging rights, but the emachine or dell end up in the consumer's house

sure we all know the horror stories of emachines desktops or dell laptops but as time goes by, the consistency of both budget pcs gets better and better and continue to dominate sales numbers...even more

5. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the new dual G5 machine priced at $3000 or over $1000 less than the dual Xeon PC it was tested against. If true maybe it's the beginning of a trend of more competively priced macs.

6. jbomber macrumors 6502a

jbomber

Iknow this seems like a small point, but I've observed this for almost 10 years. People can't get past the fact that Apple's mice have only 1 button. They get so freaked out about it. If Apple will make the jump, it'll go a long way towards helping establish themselves with the rest of the masses.

7. clairiun thread starter macrumors newbie

Price doesn't matter (for this crowd)

Price is not an issue with the people at work who see the machine. They buy quality and they know that quality costs. They don't go out and buy $200 Linux PCs.

8. Jerry Spoon macrumors 6502a

Jerry Spoon

Most people (and my wife wishes I were most people) don't spend $3000 on a computer...and that is definitely a market that Apple has trouble with, people who are concerned with price.

9. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

You are, of course, right that the dual G5 isn't aimed at most consumers, but it is good to see a competive price for this high-end market. Maybe, just maybe, it's the start of something new in Apple's pricing. I thought I read that the price for the 970 gives Apple an advantage.

10. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

It is sad, but true. Humans base ALOT of judgement on first-impressions...and well that's one of the fi rst impressions that even I got when i walk into an Apple Store. Obviously most mice out there can be used with the Mac (i.e. wireless/bluetooth) but most people are a bit unawares.

It is the same thing with price. Even today i would not spend $3000 dollars for a top-of-the-line machine: PC or Mac, it's a waste of money. The speed of the market means that in several months that 3,000 price could drop several hundred dollars.

I belive consumers are most interested in the market @ around 1-1,250 dollars. I do remember that around 8 years ago, it cost me nearly $4000 to get the top of the line 486. Nowadays, you can spend 400 / 600 / 800 dollars for a decent system. I think it would be better for Apple to advertise the lower end models JUST AS MUCH as their dual 2ghz model. It doesn't make sense to tout their high-end model when most consumers will not spend that kind of money on it.

11. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

No no, its not just price. Most people just don't see how buying a Mac will fit into the rest of their life. If a 35 year old woman uses a PC at work, and recognizes the OS and basic software such as MS Office and the like, they'll probably buy a PC, especially if they need to bring work home. Why not just buy the machine that is not only cheaper and faster, but also does not conflict with the technology that is in your life right now?