Another upgrade goes by...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by michaelrjohnson, Apr 17, 2005.

1. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

Another upgrade to Mac OS X (and Safari) with a very conspicuously missing feature.

Ever since I started using Safari (i.e. the day it was released) I have wanted a feature that I fear it may never provide. I'm referring to draggable tabs. I want the ability to open a new tab (which is automatically placed at the far right) and then be able to drag it into a different location on the tab bar.

Why? Because as you hit Cmd+W to close windows, it closes from R -> L. If you have an important window open in the middle, it interrupts your workflow to go and select the next tab before it. (Because I find the tab-switching keystroke cumbersome in Safari [Cmd+Shift+Arrow]) To be able to open GMail (for example) as the 5th tab, then be able to move it to the #1 position, to essentially "prioritize" your tabs for closure. And that includes from one window to another.

How does everyone else feel about this?

2. Maedus macrumors regular

I concur. I wish Safari (or any tabbed browser) was like Adium X where you could not only drag tabs around, but drag them off the current window and create a new window, or take a separate window and drag it onto another to make it a tab.

I think there is a forum on the apple site that lets you submit requests for program features and things like that. You could round up a bunch of people to ask for draggable tabs on it. ;)

3. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

I third that. Been wanting that feature for a long time. Maybe it's a feature in Tiger, something like that is probably an overall UI element that should be written directly into the APIs, which are generally only modified in major OS releases.

4. cazlar macrumors 6502

I've often thought that draggable tabs would be a good addition. Today I found out that the shareware Saft does exactly this (as well as heaps of other things), and I'm currently testing the demo. It seems to work well!

5. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

I quadruply concur. Safari needs detachable tabs, or the option of adding tabs (Open in Tabs) to existing tabs in the same window. Another feature would be tabs that don't change in size when you are closing each tabbed window as you read it's contents.

6. GodBless macrumors 65816

GodBless

I give a fifth to tabs. And oh yeah, what about a Safari sidebar for History and other things.

7. Bear macrumors G3

Suggest draggable tabs to Apple....

All of you who want draggable tabs should suggest it (politely of course) to Apple through their feedback page. Although I guess since Tiger is around the corner, maybe you should wait and see if it is their or not.

8. michaelrjohnson thread starter macrumors 68020

Yeah, I've submitted it to feedback once or twice... But I don't have the time or energy to do it on a regular basis. Since it wasn't touted on Apple's 200 new features list, I doubt we'll see it in Tiger.

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yes, this, alongside undo-close-tab, is a very cool feature in Firefox. :)

BTW, Michael, haven't seen you around much. Welcome back! :D

10. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

You serious? Every time I've tried to use sidebars in, say... Explorer, it's been a pain because I don't have a widescreen so it just clutters up my workspace. I'm currently pretty happy with Apple's simplistic approach to Safari's GUI.

11. michaelrjohnson thread starter macrumors 68020

Thanks! My busy semester has kept me from posting much at all on MR, however, it will still be a few more weeks until I'm able to be "back" on my regular basis.

Glad to be (at least partially) back!