Another "What Mac to buy" question . . .

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Kirk, Jan 20, 2005.

1. Kirk macrumors regular

Kirk

A friend of mine asked me which is the best "deal"; a Power Mac or an iMac?

He is a Print designer, working with Quark XPress, Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator etc. I kinda think that a 23" display would be the thing, maybe with a dual 1.8 G5? I don’t know if he needs that kind of speed right now, but it looks like a better deal to me, than a singel 1.8, and one that would last longer. I have also heard of problems with the iMac G5 (display, noise).

What do you think? What is the best deal for him?

2. Solafaa macrumors 6502a

Solafaa

Both are great desktops and they will both do what he needs. If you ask me what i like better i would go with the PowerMac because you can costimize it more.

3. Kirk thread starter macrumors regular

Kirk

What Power Mac do you think gives the best value for the money?

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I'd tell him to get the best Mac he can afford. If the iMac 20" is what he can afford, it'll do what he needs for now. I'd go with a dual-2.0 (the 1.8's are a bit crippled) and a 3rd party display as my intermediate choice, and a dual-2.0 + Apple 23" as my top choice for him. I mean, of course, a dual-2.5 with two 30" ACDs would be great, but more than he needs.

5. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

That's a tough question to answer. Last year, it was clearly the dual-1.8. This year, now that the dual-1.8 uses a lower-end motherboard, it's a tough call. They're priced more appropriate to their performance now, so the price/performance ratio (taking into account not just performance but RAM capacity, etc.) is fairly constant.

If he's going to buy a high-end system, I seriously recommend looking into joining Apple as a Select Apple Developer (US$500/year here in the States) - the developer price on a system will often exceed the cost of membership, at least here and on high-end setups.

6. Kirk thread starter macrumors regular

Kirk

O.K.

Thanx guys!

:)

I wouldn’t mind a Dual G5 myself, but I think I will wait until they are updated. Need some time to save up anyway . . .