Another "What's My Fit" question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by JurgenWigg, Oct 27, 2006.

1. JurgenWigg macrumors 6502

JurgenWigg

My friend is a junior music education major at uni and is sick and tired of his dell, only 3 years old, which is crapping out on him. He's heavily interested in macs and checked them out at an Apple store and has made up his mind to get one, but as a cash strapped college student is deliberating which one he really needs. He's got the cash to go for a 15" MBP, but if saving cash is possible, the more the better.

He plans to use this for work, not necessarily mixing tracks and editing and such, but he wants to be able to record students or play something back for them in a private lesson setting as well as an ensemble setting, plugging in a midi-keyboard, as well as do some moderate arranging or composing. He's worried that the regular macbook might not be able to handle recording an ensemble or keep up with whatever, even with 2 gigs of RAM and wants to know whether he'll need the performance of the MBP. I'm not very experienced with things like garage band or whatever the pro version is, so the best I could tell him would be to go down to the apple store and talk to them. What do you guys think?

2. ricgnzlzcr macrumors 6502a

ricgnzlzcr

I think that if your friend doesn't need to do any intense video or gaming, then a macbook loaded with 2 gigs of ram and a 120 gig hard drive will treat him right. I really think that MBP's are overkill for most users except for graphics people and gamers. That's not to say that some people don't need a 15 or 17 inch screen.

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Does he need OMG screaming Core 2 MBP? A refurbished Core Duo might be a better pick.