Another "which mac to buy" thread...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by odedia, Sep 29, 2006.

1. odedia macrumors 6502a

Nov 24, 2005
    OKay.... so I'm pretty much set on getting a brand new mac, replacing the flawed MBP that I returned (see my sig).

I checked out B&H Photo Video (, cause they are kind enough to do shipping to Israel where I live, and sadly with all taxes and shipping costs, they are STILL cheaper than the quoted prices on the Apple representative here in Israel (Yeda Computers).

So I'm considering 2 options:

Option 1:

Apple Customized 24" iMac with 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo CPU, 2GB (2x1GB) RAM, 500GB SATA Hard Drive, Dual-Layer SuperDrive, nVIDIA GeForce 7600GT Graphics, 24" Widescreen Display, Bluetooth 2.0+EDR, Airport Extreme, Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger

Price: $ 2,748.50 Shipping: 209$ (Israel Taxes: 15.5% on Price+Shipping)

Option 2:

Apple Customized mac pro Desktop Computer Workstation 2.66GHz Dual Intel Dual-Core Xeon 5100 Series CPU, 1GB (2x512MB) RAM, 500GB SATA Hard Drive, 16x Dual-Layer SuperDrive, ATI Radeon X1900 XT 512MB Graphics, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0+EDR, Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger

Price: 2999$, Shipping: 299$ (Israeli taxes: add 15.5%)

Now, the obvious big plus of the iMac is that excellent 24" display. I don't have an LCD monitor at the moment, only a crappy old 17" CRT monitor. I MIGHT consider living with it for the time being until I can get a good deal on an LCD monitor.

My big plus for the Map Pro, aside from the better specs, is the ability to replace the processors in the future to get 8 cores of power, plus ofcourse changing anything I can possible think of.

Regarding the usual "what do you do with it" question, the answer is pretty much everything: Programming (In Java + Eclipse), video editing from time to time for fun, surfing, gaming here and there... I really enjoy the computing world to its limit.

Would appriciate some feedback, especially if you happen to own any of these systems, or both.

2. odedia thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nov 24, 2005
    I guess everyone's a little tired of these types of posts, hey? :)
  3. Allotriophagy macrumors 6502a

Sep 5, 2006
    Get the Mac Pro. Get a good monitor later.

4. amin macrumors 6502a

Aug 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I agree - would get the Mac Pro, for the reasons you mentioned. A good 20" monitor can be had for not much, or you can wait and get a 24 incher. If you get the iMac, I'd get it with the specs you mentioned. If you get the Mac Pro, consider configuring with 4 x 512MB RAM (Apple's RAM isn't all that much more $$ than the competition in this case) and saving money by getting a smaller hard drive (Apple charges too much here - better to buy separately).
  5. generik macrumors 601

Aug 5, 2005
  6. odedia thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nov 24, 2005
    I accept the remarks on the hard drives offered by Apple to be too expensive.

Can anyone recommend other dealers besides B&H that offer customized setups? Unfourtonutly, they only offer a setup of 1900XT along with a 500GB drive at the moment. (I'm not getting one from apple cause I want to save on taxes - otherwise I'll have to pay taxes twice. once in the US and once in Israel.)
  7. pianoman macrumors 68000

May 31, 2006
  8. miles01110 macrumors Core

Jul 24, 2006
    The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
    SmallDog might ship internationally, not sure though. Otherwise I think Macmall does custom units.