Another "which MBP should i buy" thread

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by walleyealx, Oct 25, 2006.

1. walleyealx macrumors member

Oct 22, 2006
    Ok, here's the deal:

I have 1800 dollars to spend. I can either get a refurb macbook pro with the following stats:

2.16 intel core duo
    256 x1600
    1gb ram
    100g hd

for a total of 1690, which would allow me to buy parallels right away.

i can use my disount for apple developers to get the base intel core 2 duo with the following stats:

2.16 intel core 2 duo
    120g HD
    1gb RAM
    128mb vid card
    sweeter superdrive

for a total of 1795 including taxes, etc... and no parallels till christmas.

The top option has a better video card and is 115 cheaper, whereas the bottom option has the new chip, a bigger HD (i could get an external in the future if space was an option), and a "better" superdrive.

Which one should i go with?
    Are there anymore better options?
    How much faster is the C2D going to be with 2.16 for each processor?

Thanks, any input is appreciated.
  2. roland.g macrumors 603

Apr 11, 2005
    One mile up and soaring
    I would get the new one. I used to think that the drive outlived the machine, but nowadays I see that it is easy to fill drives up. If you already have Windows, which Parallels does not include, you can always Bootcamp it until you can afford Parallels, then wipe and discard the partition. Better to spend the $105 for a better 64bit processor and larger drive. I think the better SD is nice too. The only thing the other one has going for it is the better graphics card. That is a tough one. I guess it really depends on what you will use it for too. I would go for the first one if it was more of a savings, but for that difference it doesn't seem justified.
  3. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Jun 21, 2006
    Get the C2D. With a price gap that small, it doesn't pay to buy older technology. Use the discount- you won't regret it.
  4. walleyealx thread starter macrumors member

Oct 22, 2006
    Is there a large difference between the 128 and the 256 video cards? I plan on doing some gaming, nothing crazy (some CS, and maybe AA or Call of Duty 2)
  5. vi2867 macrumors 6502

Oct 11, 2006
    Eastvale, CA
  6. NJuul macrumors 6502

Mar 15, 2006
    I'd take the new one, but that is just me.
    I'd take it because of the 64-bit C2D. At the moment I don't believe it matters much, but it may in 2-3 years.
    At the moment 64-bit only matters with regard to memory I believe, however, as more people get these processors more programs may be written for them.
    What I'm saying is, it may make a difference years down the line, and as I like to future-proof everything, I'd take the newest.
  7. KingYaba macrumors 68040

Aug 7, 2005
    Up the irons
    Both video cards are crap. Just buy the new one. ;)
  8. bluetorch18 macrumors regular

Jul 25, 2006
    So there wouldn't be a noticable difference in games such as the Sims 2, AOE 3, Quake 4, etc?
  9. Clydefrog macrumors 6502a

Feb 24, 2006
    buy the new one, no reason waiting for merom and buying an old MBP, also if your going to spend a good amount of money, buy the best, your stupid if you don't!:D