Another Xbox Live Question

Discussion in 'Games' started by Jovian9, Feb 14, 2006.

1. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

I have a few questions about the Xbox Live headset and talking to people in Halo 2.

Does it only allow you to talk to other people when you are close to them during the game? I can hear them and they can hear me when we are close in the game, but not at any other times. Can you somehow talk to people on your team all the time? We were hoping that we would be able to talk some sh.. to each other while playing.....not just for a brief moment when killing each other.

Another question is about talking to people during the menu (while setting up the game). Today I was playing against some friends in Wisconsin and some in 2 different cities in Indiana. The people in Indiana and Wisconsin could all talk to each other during the menu-set-up-game-area (in between games while we changed game types), but they could not hear me nor could I hear them. Should I be able to hear them too? I was the party-team leader but could not hear anyone.

I am using a wireless controller (headset plugs into the wireless receiver that is attached to the Xbox). I am in New Mexico. Does the distance between us (literally between the 3 states) have anything to do with it?

Thanks for any help!

2. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

During games, you will hear everyone when they are within a certain range of you. To talk to your entire team either push the white button or up on the d-pad. There is no button to speak to everyone on the map. You should be able to talk and hear everyone during the menus before it starts the maps, not sure what is going on there for you. The distance should have nothing to do with it. Make sure all your voice and sound settings are correct.

3. Jovian9 thread starter macrumors 68000

Jovian9

Thanks! I appreciate the help. That answers one of my questions. But I still do not understand why I can't hear them or they can't hear me while we are setting up the game.

4. 1macker1 macrumors 65816

1macker1

Make sure your headset is plugged in good. Other than that, i'd do like the previous poster said, and check my voice settings.
    Good luck.

5. savar macrumors 68000

savar

In ranked team games, you can't hear what anybody from the other team is saying. (Ostensibly, that time is "strategy" time.)

How do you know they're talking to each other if you can't hear them? Also, I'm not sure if wireless controllers for xbox support a headset...are you sure that yours does?

Lastly, look at the icon next to your name. It turns into a speaker icon when you've got the headset plugged in and working, and it lights up whenever you're speaking. I'm assuming you know how to use the button and dial on the headset module?

6. Jovian9 thread starter macrumors 68000

Jovian9

They called me on a cell phone in between games b/c I wasn't responding to them but they could hear each other. My wireless controller supports a headset. Like I said above....it plugs into the wireless receiver (which is plugged into the Xbox). I can talk during gameplay but not in the menu-set-up area. The speaker icon is there and lights up when I talk no matter if we're in game or in the menu.

7. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

I think the solution to your problem is to just upgrade to an XBox 360. :)

J/K, sounds like you have a 3rd party headset, maybe that is causing the problem during the menus. Maybe try calling the manufacturing of the headset to see if they have anything to say about it.

8. Jovian9 thread starter macrumors 68000

Jovian9

That's what I thought may be the problem, since every setting is correct and it works in the game. With regards to an Xbox 360....I tried to get one for my nephews and for me over the holidays. I put in too much time/effort and was unsuccessful. So I vowed to never buy one. Microsoft made it impossible for me to spend $500 (system and games) on one of their products.....so I will not in the future. Now I'm just waiting for the Revolution and the PS3. Sorry Microsoft :)

9. Mr. Mister macrumors 6502

I believe the way it works is spacialized chat to everybody (your voice gets quieter as they get further away, at least in Halo 2) and non-spacilalized team chat where everybody can hear you.

The nice thing about Halo 2 is you can talk to people while the map is loading, while you're viewing your scores post-game, etc.

10. Jovian9 thread starter macrumors 68000

Jovian9

That part is not working. When I play online normally, I hear people talking during the menu-game-set-up-loading area....but not when I was playing with a party of friends yesterday.

11. mac.head.high macrumors regular

mac.head.high

I've killed way too much time on Halo 2. But as for your issues; most are just XBL/Halo 2 issues between the Host xbox and the person with the highest ping. But I've never had it happen consistently. If it's happening every round, then you should call xbox live support and describe your problem. I've spoken with them twice now, and their actually super nice and knowledgeable. So don't worry that they are an extension of MicroShaft.

12. JDOG_ macrumors 6502a

JDOG_

Easiest way to fix this is to go into your profile*, change the sound settings from "mixed" to "XBOX Live Communicator Only."

That way the only chatter you'll hear will come through your headset and not your TV. If you're still not getting it, then bin it & get a real headset.

*-In Halo 2 under settings, profiles.