Answer to memory upgrades

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Chip NoVaMac, May 28, 2004.

1. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

A big thanks to all here answering my questions about memory upgrades.

Finally bit the bullet and ordered from OWC the 1gb memory module for my PB 12 "rev B. Could not be happier!

I had 512mb before, and some quick tests after the FedEx guy left, and having 1.2gb memory does make a difference with my Adobe CS package. System does seem snappier even before the 10.3.4 update.

Words of advice to those that are wondering if going to 1gb of RAM is worth it, DO IT! You won't regret it.

2. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

Nice. I have seen so many questions and not enough answers on this 1GB stick...thanks for the answer!

3. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Did you sell your 512 stick? How much was the 1gig module, I have seen they are pretty expensive, also was dealing with OWC easy?

4. Open-Your-Eyes macrumors newbie

How?

Hey to us 'mac newbies'...

this memory upgrading process simple? That is to say... you just take the old 'stick' out and shove in the new one? I'm not so good with my memory upgrades... can it be done with an ibook without paying for someone in a white suit sporting an apple logo to do it... i'm about to get one... like to know how simply i can upgrade memory should the night require it...

5. Chip NoVaMac thread starter macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I had a 256mb stick and the system RAM of 256mb gave me 512mb. I may keep the 256mb stick for a little while. My other half is wanting a G4 iBook, and this would give it 512mb (which for web surfing and simple stuff was enough).

OWC has the 1gb sticks for $359.99 for the PC2700 Samsung memory that Apple is said to use. Could have saved about $30 to $40 by going with PC2100 memory. I decided to go with the PC2700 for future compatibility.

6. Chip NoVaMac thread starter macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

On the PB 12", you remove 4 screws on the memory access "door". Pull back on the silver clips if memory occupies the slot. The old module will then pop up. Remove that, replace with new module and press lightly on the corners to "seat" the new module. Replace the "door" and screws. That's it.

Not sure about the iBook. By the way Apple Store online had the 12" PB rev B for $1499 with the SD ($1299 edu) yesterday.

7. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

Here is a link to Apple Customer Installable Parts. Just go to it and find your computer in the dropdown list...

http://www.info.apple.com/usen/cip/

Good Luck!

8. Chip NoVaMac thread starter macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Dawned on me that i didn't answer about OWC. Their sales # was flawless. Answered all of my questions and concerns.

A test of the support number a few weeks ago was not quite as fast as Crucial, but the price was better. I am hoping that I don't need to see about exchanges down the road.

9. Bhennies macrumors 6502

OWC is an absolutely fantastic company. I swear I don't work for them, but their service really has me praising them whenever I can.

10. Chip NoVaMac thread starter macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Now if I could find an Apple Certified facility in the DC that could install a HDD for me, OWC might get another sale from from me. The "authorized service center" quoted me $80 an hour at "maybe" 1 1/2 hours....

11. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

Hasn't this topic been discuss a million times already? More memory's good, period. But able to install a faster HD on a PB/iBook yourself w/o voiding the precious apple warranty would be even better. For the added cost of the 5400rpm HD, it should be 7200rpm HD instead.

12. Chip NoVaMac thread starter macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

The thing with more memory no one tried to "quantify' it. Hopefully i have. Less HDD churning. Faster moving between apps.

My regret is that I did not have a chance to make the move from 512 to 768 before the jump to 1gb. Money is tight for many, so any first hand info is a help for the same. Maybe if others offered their real experiences i could have saved a few bucks.

I'll admit that i was on a fishing trip for those in the DC area that could offer solutions for the install of the HDD. $120 is a bit much IMHO to keep the warranty intact. I am not sue, but I assume that simular sized PC units are probably just as hard to get a HDD into.

13. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

Here's a guide to replace your hard drive in your PowerBook 12"...

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/systems/powerbookG4_12in_HD_upgrade/PowebookG4_12in_HD_upgrade.htm

...if you have the guts. I don't! :)

14. Chip NoVaMac thread starter macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

15. TheMac19 macrumors regular

TheMac19

Samsung 1gig PC2700 RAM for $316 shipped

I just bought two 1 gig RAM chips from 18004memory.com. Price $316 each with free shipping. They are pc2700, Samsung, the same exact chips that Apple sells for $700. I recieved them in about a week, and they are perfect - passed the apple tech tools test just dandy. I found them through www.dealram.com which automatically searches for the best ram prices for any machine. works perfect for me, and now my 15" powerbook is fully maxed out and ready to edit.

16. Chip NoVaMac thread starter macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

For what it is worth this site:

http://www.resellerratings.com/

rates OWC at 8, Crucial at 9.5, and 8004Memory at a 5.....

17. TheMac19 macrumors regular

TheMac19

Yes, I had checked that out as well, 18004Memory also does business as Coast to Coast memory, which has a bit higher score, though not close to OWC or Crucial. I read all of the reviews for both, and found that there were very few complaints about RAM for powerbooks, some were complaints about obscure older memory. Most importantly, there was not a single complaint about the 1gig Samsung Powerbook RAM that I was interested in.

Crucial's rating could be a 10, and I'm still not going to pay $960 for 2 gigs of RAM that I can get elsewhere for $630, ESPECIALLY when the $630 gets me the exact brand and model of RAM that Apple uses!

OWC sells the same samsung ram as well, but it would still run almost $100 more for two sticks. So I figured that I'd give 18004MEMORY a shot, and if they sent bunk ram I would cross that bridge when I came to it. Props to them, I recieved the ram and it was just as described, brand new and working perfectly.

Maybe they had some issues in the past, but as far as I'm concerned, they were a straightforward company to deal with, and they sent me great ram at a great price. I take all online review sites with a grain of salt - anyone with a spare hour or three and a hair of motivation can push those numbers either way... I've seen 1 gig powerbook chips cheaper elsewhere, but as for me, I'm not going to feed my new powerbook anythong other than what Apple would!