Anthony Blair: Politicians "have to 'do God'."

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by BoyBach, Mar 21, 2009.

1. macrumors 68040

BoyBach

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5hKRanAiXchKJJRKPSKzKionpwtng

http://www.newstatesman.com/religion/2009/03/world-million-faith-god

I'll forgo my utter contempt for the odious man and repugnance at his stating of "peaceful coexistence", to say that it's the basis of an interesting debate.

Should politicians "do God"? Which "God" should politicians "do"? Can, will, or should religion replace political ideology in the 21st century?

2. macrumors G5

leekohler

What a f***ing a**hole. Looks like you guys indeed had your W.

3. macrumors G4

skunk

There is ZERO possibility that emphasising adherence to one or other of the competing monotheistic religions will bring the world closer to a state of harmony, unless it results in the total annihilation of the species.

4. Moderator emeritus

Ah, Tony Blair. What a complete disappointment for so many reasons. Managed to give the Tories a wakeup call about the modern world, though.

I hear he's still popular in the US. You're welcome to him.

5. macrumors G3

Counterfit

Thanks, but no. ;)

6. macrumors 68000

drewsof07

I don't think he was specifying which religion/deity leaders should "do" but rather just the idea of having some sense of spirituality to "comfort/guide" them.

And when you consider the source, (correct me if I'm wrong) but aren't most leaders in the UK "blessed" by the church before assuming their duties? Not out of requirement, but tradition. So not the best environment to create leaders who are entirely separate from their religious roots.

7. macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

If this forum is any indication, I'd be afraid to be Catholic in the UK.

8. Moderator emeritus

Why? Most people here don't care one whit about your religion... unless you keep on talking about it with them. To be seen as overly religious as a political figure is a death-knell for broad national support.

9. macrumors Core

Which is the way is should be...

10. macrumors 6502

When asked directly if he and Bush prayed together when meeting to decide whether to invade Iraq he snorted in derision saying "Of course not". Turns out that is exactly what they did, praying for divine guidance. Says it all really - lying about the use of religion to justify an illegal war.

The only saving grace is that, if he is right about there being a God, he will undoubtedly rot in hell.

11. macrumors G4

skunk

We spit upon Protestants and Catholics equally.

12. macrumors G4

Par for the course. I detest that man.
    Nothing to do with being Catholic, unless of course being Catholic means being a condescending hypocrite like Blair.

13. macrumors 603

Cromulent

The church is linked with the British government because it is the official state religion. Ironically though we are less religious at a political level than the US which is meant to be a secular country.

I would be very surprised if any politician tried to play the God card in a British election but it is par for the course in America.

Also tradition is a form of requirement, most of the UK's constitution is based on tradition as we don't have an official written one like the US.

14. macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

LOL. It's just an observation. I'm not religious myself.

15. macrumors 601

At least some try…
    Link.

But then again we also have (had) "Opus Dei" Kelly.

16. macrumors 68000

drewsof07

But I'm not sure spirituality or lack of has much to do with effectiveness of leadership on the grand scale. If anything, having a belief system would place them with the majority according to this article anyway. I don't mean or imply they should publicly identify with a certain religion or belief system and say everyone else is wrong, but a general belief in a higher power.

17. macrumors 601

I am quite sure that is true for the US… to which your article refers.
    I was refering to the UK. ;)
    Where you find this:
    Link.
    For what it's worth.

18. macrumors 68000

drewsof07

And God shone his wrath on the UK, it was noted in the documentary "28 Days Later" :p hahaha

But only 1,000 participants? I would be wary to accept those results as a good representation. The one I linked was 36,000 adults in the US. 1,000 people could be assembled from the science department of a University...

Also, right below that number you quoted, "2003: 1001 Adults polled, 60% believed in God." This also makes me question the validity of these numbers, to have such drastic change over the course of just 3 years when it dropped to 35%.

19. macrumors 601

Oh, god.
    :rolleyes:
    Make of that link what you will.

But: If you are trying to claim that the UK is a religious nation on a par with the levels in the USA… then you are mistaken.
    Religious belief in the UK is nowhere near at the levels of the US.

Politicians who drag religion into their speeches and policy are derided.

Do I have a link for that? No I don't.
    You have to live here to realise that. ;)

Here's the perspective of a Yank living in the UK. Link.

20. macrumors 6502

iObama

People like you cause as much hate in the world as you claim religion does. Atheists always claim that Christians are arrogant for thinking that Jesus is the only way to get to Heaven, but attack anyone else for disagreeing with you. Funny how that works.

21. Moderator emeritus

Another reason for Americans to avoid moving to the UK: not understanding their sense of humour in the absolute slightest.

22. macrumors 603

Cromulent

Not sure why you are getting uppity over an obvious joke but I'll bite anyway.

Christians are arrogant for thinking Jesus is the only way to get into heaven. What about Buddha? What about the Hindi Gods?

If there truly is one God I think he would be open minded enough to let people from all religions into heaven, not just Christians. That is why I think Christians are arrogant.

Edit: Bah, beaten by BV :).

23. macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

I will completely agree. I don't get British humor. Not all, but most of it.. Not a huge Monty Python fan.. Sorry, I know this will get me flamed... :p But it certainly doesn't mean that others don't find it funny, my wife loves Monty Python and does not understand why I don't... oh well, compromise in a marriage

24. macrumors 68030

.Andy

This is the closest I've ever been to using my ignore list ;):)!

25. Rt&Dzine, Mar 21, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2011

macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

I literally laughed out loud at skunk's comment. You and skunk often crack me up. Maybe because I was raised by an Anglophile.