Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Megaquad

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 12, 2001
I read all this anti-Apple reviews, first Dvorak, now cnet and yahoo... and all those pc zealot replies, they seem to be echoing this anti-Apple reputation that has been brought.

I have a theory, as Microsoft, Dell etc. didn't take Apple seriously until Mac OS X days, now they are seriously worried about Apple taking their market share so they are starting this anti-Apple campaign.

I think Apple has to assemble a team of "brains" who would figure out how to restore Apple's reputation and prevent it of losing market share.

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Yahoo = Anti Apple

Yeah Yahoo has been at it for like a year prediction 'APPLE's DIMISE IS TOMMOROW'- like articles which pisses me off whenever I look at the 'APPL Quotes', people read this and say 'I'm selling now' which just blows.:(

Wow that Article you posted totally blasted that guy, one more of those and he is gonna get a couple of mailbombs.
:D
(From me, who else?)

Marvenp

macrumors member
Originally posted by bluecell
I'm assuming that you're referring to this recent C|Net article. I didn't see the authors the point, other than to say that he's pro-M$.

Read the article and all I can say is that anyone who pays attention to that idiot, deserves what they get. To think that Apple machines are ONLY used by creative types i.e. designers, musicians etc... is absurd. The people who use Macs are people who just want their computer to work with no hassles. Period!

The switch campaign is successful because Windoze users are starting to wake up to that fact. The author does make one valid point though; for the rest of the world, price is the main consideration when buying a computer. Apple is definitely going to have to do something about the price-to-performance ratio if they want huge converts to the Mac platform.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
this guy is stupid with his quote on keynote. with the papyrus font. Hell, if I owned Peir 1 Imports i make like the damn goofy font. just another person who doenst like macs and knows nothing about them, just like my pc friends. there is one thing i tell them when the comment on my mac. when they say something about my mac i go "cool what kind of mac do you have" they say "i dont have a mac, they suck so bad" then i say why the hell do you know so much about them to tell me that they suck." some people may think that is stupid but he can usually never come up with anything back to say but yeah whatever.

iJon

altair

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2002
Seattle, WA

Originally posted by bluecell
I'm assuming that you're referring to this recent C|Net article. I didn't see the authors the point, other than to say that he's pro-M$.

I just emailed the guy and flamed him. Did he actually look at the Sony vaio? I doubt it, it doesn't even compare to the Powerbook. 1 inch smaller screen and 1.2lbs heavier. It didn't even say how thick it was. I really can't believe that guy is allowed to write smut like that. My favorite quote was: "...in many circumstances, conformity is more important than perfection"
I really don't think i have ever heard anyone say that with a straight face, completely amazing. More people should email him, but do it "professionaly". We don't need to put a bad mark on Mac lovers.

peace

me

shakespeare

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2002
Portland, Maine
The CNet guy does essentially say, though, doesn't he, that the Mac is better, and of a higher quality. What he says against the Mac is that it is over the heads of most computer buyers - and wouldn't anyone enlightened enough to realise that prefer the company which soars above the rest?

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
actually, while i agree that a distinct anti-apple agenda going on, i don't think it's working. All it does is give Apple a lot more press, i mean obviously Apple isn't going anywhere so before long people stop taking the doom threats seriously. The biggest threat facing Apple is that consumers will forget that they're serious contenders for marketshare, and even anti-apple press keeps that from happening.

pnw

rjrufo

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2002
Boston
Originally posted by iJon
...when they say something about my mac i go "cool what kind of mac do you have" they say "i dont have a mac, they suck so bad" then i say why the hell do you know so much about them to tell me that they suck." ...

iJon

I like your response. Most PC users don't know anything about the Mac platform. It's like someone saying they don't like a particular food when they've never even tried it. My brother-in-law told me once that I was stupid for getting my first Mac, but he knows very little about computers. I let him play with my PowerBook for a couple of days, and now he says that as soon as he can afford one, he's getting one. I think that the more Apple Stores that they open, the more people like my brother-in-law will become "Switchers".

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
I sent him an e-mail. Here's a copy of it. I was kinda angry, so I'm not sure if it some of it made sense, or if it's actually correct, but I'm sure I did more research than him.

I feel obliged to correct some mistakes in your article "Macintosh: An acquired taste"

"Technically, it was fabulous--and completely impractical. Microsoft's PowerPoint exists for one reason: Sales representatives use it to lull their audiences into an agreeable mood before asking for money. "Your company is fabulous, but I can't stand that little man holding the stopwatch and scratching his head. We're going to go with the vendor with that Egyptian papyrus theme," is a statement that will never come out of a corporate buyer's mouth. "

I'm a student, and when I need to do presentations that catch people's attention, PowerPoint doesn't do the trick. The delivery of your sales pitch, if strong and attractive, can persuade corporate buyers from 'no' to 'yes'. Aside from Keynote costing less than PowerPoint, it is a much nicer application, easier to use, and packed with features. You forget that software doesn't only exist for the business world. If someone wants to show information about a piece of art, or do a presentation about the Civil War, PowerPoint makes it look less than real. With Keynote, users can easily build beautiful presentations made to turn heads.

"The uninitiated, though, saw something different: two notebooks. The elegant new PowerBook comes with a 17-inch screen, but it's not all that different than 16-inch-screen models from Sony and Toshiba. A nearly identically configured Sony Vaio, in fact, sells for $2,699--$600 less than the PowerBook."

Actually, it is all that different. It has a 17" widescreen display. Much different than the 16" behemoths on the Sony's and Toshibas. This computer is also made out of aluminum, weighs 6.8 pounds, and is only 1" thin, as opposed to being made of cheap plastics, weighing 10 pounds (yes, I have seen 10 pound laptops), and being 2" thick. There's a reason you pay more for a BMW than you do for a Ford. The quality of the craftsmanship is much better. Oh, and by the way, a similarly configured VAIO costed $3200 on Sony's website. (this is with 512mb RAM, a 60GB HD, a DVD Burner, and everything to make it as 'Mac worthy' as possible.)

"Apple's new mini-notebook, meanwhile, fits squarely within its category. It's not the thinnest or lightest model (that distinction belongs to the 2-pound Sharp Muramasa) or, at $1,799, the cheapest. It's good, it looks cool--but it's a mini-notebook. Outside of Japan, a depressed market, few people buy them. "

You obviously weren't paying attention to Jobs' keynote. It is the world's smallest full featured notebook. Your little 2-pound Sharp Muramasa doesn't have a built in optical drive, has an underpowered GPU, and a relatively small battery life (2 hours and 55 minutes is expected when you don't have an optical drive at all.) The 12" PowerBook G4 is the smallest full featured notebook available. There are smaller notebooks, all of which require a docking station or some other form to use an optical drive. And, as far as people who would actually buy them: Students. I have an iBook (one of the newer ones), and I love it. All of my PC friends envy it because it is so small, yet it can do so much. When I go to college, I plan on getting one of these 12" PowerBook G4's. The portability is unmatched, and it's ruggedness is outstanding. Besides, if mini-notebooks are a depressed market, then why to you hold your Muramasa in such high regards? Because it looks cool?

"More important, Apple partisans--and to some degree, the company itself--believe the public should care about things like pixel count, aspect ratio and data transfer rate. "

I don't know where you got this line from. If I remember correctly, it's the PC users who brag of higher clock speeds, greater resolutions, and faster networks. Apple just incorporates technology into their computers that make them more usable. The widescreen displays are easier on the eyes. Do a test for me. Put your hands together vertically in front of your face, and pull them apart to the left and right until you can't see them anymore. Now, put your hands together horizontally in front of the test, and pull them apart upwards and downwards. Now tell me, is your range of vision wide or tall? If it's tall, then I think you should get your eyes checked. Higher resolutions also allow HDTV editors to do their jobs better, and more precisely. And don't say that PC users don't care about transfer rates, because I assure you, they do. Apple is also much more than that. They are about the user experience. It should be simple and easy. A no-brainer. Their products are elegant, yet simple. They are intuitive, and to a degree, inspiring. You should really learn more about the Mac community before incorrectly describing it.

"This compliments the public too much. When it comes to discerning quality, we're simpletons. Instead, corporate buyers and individuals just want to know how much their computer will cost and will they get busted if they make one or two copies of their software. (Of course, think of the scary flip side. If Apple had changed the course of history in the 1980s and emerged as the guiding force in computing, we'd be up to our necks in graphic artists, freelance DJs and career temp employees.) "

If corporate buyers saw more than the initial sticker price, then I'm pretty sure that more companies would be using Macs. In the long run, the basic Mac that does everything a corporation needs it to do (networking and number punching) costs less than a PC considering maintenance costs, and the fact that PCs need to be upgraded more often. It's been proven that Macs are cheaper to own and maintain, and that they last longer than PC's. My dad still uses 6 year old Macintosh laptops. They worked when he bought them, and they still work today. As for being busted for copying software, what's that got to do with anything Apple? Did you know that licenses for Windows 2000 servers can cost a company thousands of dollars each year, while the Mac OS X Server with unlimited clients costs only $999, which is cheap in a large network environment. And for your artists and DJs, get a life. Other companies make software for business. As a matter of fact, Microsoft was one of the first companies to offer applications for the Macintosh. If Microsoft hadn't created windows, then Macs would be cheaper, they would run all the applications you could possibly need, and they would still work.

"Microsoft and Intel understand this completely. Standards exist in the industry not because of a secret, evil conspiracy. They exist because, in many circumstances, conformity is more important than perfection. That's why the two companies, and the rest of the PC market, spend more time talking about price and availability than anything else. No one will ever "woo-hoo" a speech by Intel CEO Craig Barrett, but his company provides the chips in most of the world's computers."

I can't believe that you actually wrote this. http://www.apple.com/server Apple does adhere to standards, believe it or not. It's microsoft who decides that certain standards could make more money if they controlled them, and then create proprietary protocols and push them onto the windows world as standards, leaving the Macintosh, Unix, and Linux worlds on their own. Look at the MP3 and Mpeg4 codecs. Microsoft attacked them with their own proprietary .wmv file format. Microsoft is even trying to make the internet a 'windows only' thing by making each new version of Internet Explorer even more proprietary than the last. It appears that the 'conformity' that you see in the windows world is actually Microsoft trying to push all of their technologies all over everyone. Microsoft can't stand to not dominate any market that they compete in. If you read this article: http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/7/28724.html you will see how Microsoft will cheat and still, just because they can't stand to not be first. Another thing that is good for users is open source. It allows the best minds in the world (no, the best minds in the world aren't all at microsoft and intel) to contribute to a piece of software, making it better than any one company can attempt. Microsoft sees anything that can threaten their products as extremely hostile, and takes every measure to see that they end up on top. Tell me, if windows products were so much better than everything else, then why does Microsoft have to spend money to send teams of people out to persuade people to use their products? Can't the products speak for themselves? They spend all their time Unix and Linux and OpenSource bashing, yet their products can't compare to some of the things that other companies and open source programmers have developed.

to be continued...

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by rjrufo

I like your response. Most PC users don't know anything about the Mac platform. It's like someone saying they don't like a particular food when they've never even tried it. My brother-in-law told me once that I was stupid for getting my first Mac, but he knows very little about computers. I let him play with my PowerBook for a couple of days, and now he says that as soon as he can afford one, he's getting one. I think that the more Apple Stores that they open, the more people like my brother-in-law will become "Switchers".
haha thanks, maybe that will be a good response for all of us. Now my pc friend(not really a friend) is mr amd guy, although he thinks he knows lots abot computer, which he doesnt. he came up and told me apple is going to switch to amd. and he keeps asking when they are gonna do it. now this idiot is making me mad, he is coming onto my turf (hell yeah its my turf) and telling me what apple is gonna do. i couldnt believe it when he told me this. if you guys wanna know kindof what this guy is like ill tell you one thing which will make you go into disgust. he tells me friends that since im am apple guy im really the only person he knows that likes the ipod, he says the ipod sucks. he has never used one, touched one or anything. now get this , i am about to tell you what he thinks is better. he told me the creative zen blows away the ipod. all my friends love the ipod and they all told their parents they want one when their birthday. all my friendss know how to use my ipod, i just hand it to them, i dont have to pick the song for them. from just looking at the zen it just looks complicated. my pc games reviewed the zen and they said they didnt like it becasue you had to use creatives software to access it as a hard drive. boy that must suck. the final thing i tell my pc friend is that "when you get a real job that requires computer skills i may take you seriously in what comments you have about my computers" his goal right now is to work at best buy, haha like they know s*** about computers. I am 17 and I am one of Steve's little Mac diciples working at my parents store. damnit mac community i hate the ignoranance of my pc friend. i have told you guys what i say to pc idiots, i want to know what you guys say to comeback at them. come on, let me know, i want more good stuff to throw at him when he starts dissing my macs again. wow, that got kind of long.

iJon

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
Part 2:

Your article was not only based truly on your opinions, but contradicted itself, and showed that you have been blinded mask that microsoft puts on to make them look nice and friendly. They are anything but that. It is true that Apple inspires rave and reviews, but without them, you would probably be using the equivalent of windows 3.1 on a super fast computer. I'll admit that PC's are good for gaming and punching numbers all day because they are dirt cheap, but for the creative, education, and any other market that requires the user to do more thinking than the computer, the Macintosh clearly shines. Without the Macintosh, there would be no innovation in the computer market, except for Michael Dell, who innovates only by making computers as cheaply as possible. You get what you pay for, and for $599, I wouldn't expect much for that new dell dimension... You do realize that Apple and Dell are the only computer companies making money, and Apple is doing it through innovation, while Dell is doing it by being wal-mart. Apple isn't afraid to try new things. Some things work, and others don't. Right now, Apple is being conservative due to the nature of the economy, since they can't afford to take a risk, but during better times, Apple has been known to do things unheard of in the PC world. And you can't say it doesn't work because it does. Apple computers are the most imitated computers in the world. If Apple is making money, and people are trying to copy their computers, then they must be doing something right.

And I have no idea why your article was posted on news.com. It's not news, it's your opinion. Were you paid by microsoft to write this or something? It certainly sounds like it by the tone of your article. Before you write your next 'Apple doomsday' article, do some research first before blatantly putting something down.

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
oh, and then there's this: microsoft's answer to mpeg4: f*ck you!

Yet another market that may be squelched by microsoft... Lets just hope that everybody chooses mpeg4 over media player 9... We're fortunate that they haven't come out with anything to rival Rendezvous, and that companies are catching on quickly. This should give microsoft no choice but to stick with rendezvous, because Phillips, TiVo, HP, Brother, and other companies aren't going to change their hardware just for a different protocol... microsoft is bullsh*t, and they should burn off the face of the earth...

ELYXR

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2002
Seattle
I wrote that moron this letter...

The uninitiated, though, saw something different: two notebooks. The elegant new PowerBook comes with a 17-inch screen, but it's not all that different than 16-inch-screen models from Sony and Toshiba. A nearly identically configured Sony Vaio, in fact, sells for $2,699--$600 less than the PowerBook.

After I saw the new Powerbook’s on Apple’s site I couldn’t stop drooling. Then I read your article at News.com, a resource I usually trust and respect. Here I spent an hour and did your homework for you. Everything in italics is Sony, everything in bold is Apple (I had to change this for the messageboards because of no tables support).

Apple PowerBook G4 17" (Wide-Screen)
Sony VAIO PCG-GRX600 16” (non-Wide-Screen)

1Ghz PowerPC G4 RISC
Pentium 4-M 2Ghz CISC

512MB PC2700 DDR-SDRAM
512MM PC2100 DDR-SDRAM

17-inch TFT Widescreen (1440 by 900)
16-inch TFT Non-Widescreen (1600x1200)

NVidia GeForce4 440 Go with 64MB of DDR-SDRAM
ATI Mobility RADEON 7500 with 32 MB DDR-SDRAM

60GB Ultra ATA/100
60GB (Ultra ATA-66 or ATA-100?)

Slot-Loading internal Superdrive (DVD-R/CD-RW)
Tray-Load internal (DVD-RW/CD-RW)

Built in Bluetooth 1.1
No Bluetooth

Built in Airport Extreme card (802.11g @54Mbps)
Optional 802.11a or 802.11b card

DVI and VGA output (Dual Monitor or Mirror)
VGA output only

1 Firewire 400 and 1 Firewire 800 (800Mbps and backwards compatible with included adapter)
1 i.link port (IEE 1394 4-pin cannot power devices)

10/100/1000 BASE-T (Gigabit) Ethernet port
10/100 Ethernet port

Integrated V.92 modem
Integrated V.90 modem

1 Year Warranty
1 Year Warranty

6.8 lbs. (3.1 kg) with battery and optical drive
Height: 1.0 inch
Width: 15.4 inches
Depth: 10.2 inches

8.4 lbs. with battery and optical drive
Height: 1.8 inches
Width: 14 inches
Depth: 11.5 inches

Light sensing keyboard with blue self-illumination which monitors light levels in the environment and adjusts accordingly.
Are you kidding?

Price $3299.00
Price $2699.00

rjrufo

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2002
Boston
G4scott, I was thinking of doing the same thing, but you beat me to it. I'd like to know what his response is, so please, post it here.

You also commented on the open source issue, (I'm also talking to iJon here) and a friend of mine and I were having a conversation about Apple vs. Microsucks. He said that Microsucks is a standard. I mentioned open source to him, and said that an example is Java Script. Microsucks took Java Script and created their own version of it called Jscript. From what I've seen, anything that is written for Java Script, doesn't work properly in IE (Windblows XP) because it's not written for Jscript.

Now, if I was the judge on the anti trust suit and saw that, I'd throw the book at 'em. But then again, I'm now a Mac fan, so I probably woudln't be a good judge.

Xero

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2002
Los Angeles
Originally posted by iJon
i have told you guys what i say to pc idiots, i want to know what you guys say to comeback at them. come on, let me know, i want more good stuff to throw at him when he starts dissing my macs again. wow, that got kind of long.

iJon

A Good one i use, "Well, if you used your computer for anything besides video games, you see that macs are superior.... OH and by the way, did you schedual that annual hard drive format yet??"

hehehe ;)

NicoMan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2002
Malmö, Sweden
Apple bashing

I personally thank the guys who have made the effort to e-mail that news.com idiot. I mean it is getting to a point where I am losing patience with those morons (if you knew me you would know that means something) who write those articles. I am usually quite calm and amused when I hear people bashing Apple; some have 'valid' reasons for not being interested in Apple computers, but they rarely make comment about the strategical importance of the company...
But this guy who wrote that article at news.com is so dishonest in his article it is not even funny. And no amount of reasoning with this guy will set the record straight. The guy has obviously no intention of being reasonable. I think the Apple clan needs a public response (a reasonable one, not an all-out angry attack on the guy) hopefully on news.com so that the same readers will read that article (not everyone has the will to check the veracity of the writer's facts, and some of the readers will probably have believed what that idiot wrote).

Just a thought.

NicoMan

ELYXR

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2002
Seattle
news.com dude...

I hope they fire the news.com guy and give me his job... hehe :p

But seriously, that guy is a total moron... he didn't even spend an hour and compare the two configurations he claims are "nearly identical". I provided a blow-by-blow comparison of the Sony VAIO PCG-GRX600 16” and Powerbook G4 17" models earlier in this thread. I hope his editor has access to his email. :eek:

I checked news.com and the article isn't featured anymore ... which tells me that someone pulled it. Usually they still have the previous days articles featured along with the new ones. Especially if it's a scathing review like that one was. The biggest problem I had with it was that it was completely biased... especially when he was talking about standards, and how Microsoft is a standard and that's good. F*** him.

The moron has one thing right...

Originally posted by ELYXR

Sorry guys, the Sony whups butt here!! The Al17 has only 68% of the pixels that the Sony does. The Sony would have 2 pages side by side with room left over for palettes (and a dock on the bottom if it ran OSX)!

Frankly, that's a little too tight unless all font sizes were controllable. I have my 21" set to 1600x1200....I'd still like to see one!

That said. The Al17 runs OSX. That's all I need to know...

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Re: The moron has one thing right...

Originally posted by jayscheuerle

Sorry guys, the Sony whups butt here!! The Al17 has only 68% of the pixels that the Sony does. The Sony would have 2 pages side by side with room left over for palettes (and a dock on the bottom if it ran OSX)!

Frankly, that's a little too tight unless all font sizes were controllable. I have my 21" set to 1600x1200....I'd still like to see one!

That said. The Al17 runs OSX. That's all I need to know...
your right there, but thats the ONLY thing it beats it at. I would glady sacrifice a little screen space for everything else. also on a another not, is it the graphic card that wont let it go higher or the screen. becasue i have a 9000 in my g4 with an apple studio display at 1600x1200, or is a combo of both that cripple it a little bit. just wondering.

iJon

rjrufo

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2002
Boston
Originally posted by Kethoticus
Perhaps CNet would let someone out there get equal time if they requested it, debunking everything this moron said?

I'd offer, but I've read far more intelligent comments here than I could ever write myself in rebuttal.

Maybe we can collectively write a rebuttal. If we can get CNet to accept it, why not?

Steradian

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2002
San Jose
Re: news.com dude...

I hope his editor has access to his email. :eek:

well if you scrolled down to the bottom of the page you would see this :(

Michael Kanellos is the guy who wrote this trash :(

"biography
Department Editor Michael Kanellos will chronicle the fortunes of promising start-ups in this regular column. If you've heard of a young company with a hot technology, he wants to know about it. Kanellos also runs the Enterprise Computing and Personal Technology sections at CNET News.com "

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.