Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I used to use a GPS quite a bit. But then I sold my boat. I'd plot my position about every hour by making a little cross on the chart One of the GPS units went with the boat because it was wired in but the hand held unit I still have. But I've not had a reason to turn it on.

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
Hi
I'm joining this thread because I don't like to see guys get beat up with incorrect information.

The existing US cellphone networks, by law, can all locate cellphones without needing GPS. This was specifically so that emergency dispatchers could send help even when the victim was lost or unable to describe their location. The law went into effect a few years ago.

The cellphone is located by comparing the signal strength at three cellphone towers (lower signal strength means, naturally, it's farther away) and figuring out where a cell phone would have to be to have those results. The math is pretty darn simple.

Normally, your cellphone signal is received by at least three towers, it just connects to whichever one has the strongest signal. When you're driving and getting closer to another tower, your phone automatically switches after that one becomes the stronger signal.

The emergency cell phone location system can figure out your location within about 100 meters (or less). (The location tracking feature is also used to estimate traffic flow on highways, but my post is long enough already, so I won't go into that.)

So, there is no public safety reason to have GPS on cell phones. The requirement has always been based on commercial opportunities. Cell phone service providers would love you to ask them where the nearest pizza joint is during lunch time. You'd get to lunch faster, and the pizza place would give them money for the referral. As you recall, Steve Jobs demonstrated precisely this commercial application during his iPhone presentation (he looked for the nearest Starbucks and called them to place an order for 600 lattes).

GPS on your cell phone would also be good for maps and driving directions. I travel a lot for business and the rental car GPS has been invaluable several times. Upon request, the rental car GPS also provides the locations of nearby restaurants and gas stations - another feature I've been grateful for. If you allow location tracking on your cell phone (Verizon already offers this to me by reusing the tracking technology required for 911 calls), you can get all these services without needing a GPS installed.

Because of the frequency it operates at, GPS does not work well inside buildings and suffers outages in downtown city areas. For my money, the 911 tracker technology is better in urban areas - where all the commercial applications are most likely to be used.

We can have a great argument about whether GPS is a good idea for cell phones or not - but not based on public safety issues.

Mike
Check out A-GPS.

Taken from Location-based service - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In the U.S. the FCC requires that all carriers meet certain criteria for supporting location-based services (FCC 94-102). The mandate requires 95% of handsets resolve within 300 meters for network-based tracking (e.g. triangulation) and 150 meters for handset-based tracking (e.g. GPS). This can be especially useful when dialing an emergency telephone number, such as enhanced 9-1-1 in North America, so that the operator can dispatch emergency services such as Emergency Medical Services, police or firefighters to the correct location.
Doesn't sound accurate enough for turn-by-turn navigation. I'm not at all a cellular or communictions expert and, therefore, I could be way off. Anyone know anything further?

Finally, check out Howstuffworks "How GPS Phones Work"

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
What if you are in unfamiliar territory and can't give an exact location? What if you are badly hurt and can barely dial 911 let alone speak? Come on, use your head a little here.

I think the OP is dead set against GPS no matter how useful it is for other people.

I'm at a stage where I'm going to need a GPS device and phone hybrid. See, to the OP and anti-GPS people, we don't all live in giant sprawling cities where you can never really get lost. I live on the foothills of the moors along with millions of other people from Oldham, Manchester, Sheffield all the way up to... well... the most northern part of Scotland. Before GPS came along if anyone went walking on the moors they'd more or less be required to take a map and compass. Fog decends quickly, rain, night, whatever. You need to know exactly where you are. Everyone I know who goes up there carries a portable Tom Tom or whatever with them these days. A phone with GPS built in would be one less thing to carry and a million less things than using a map. Waterproof GPS device = godly.
Oh and skiing in Poland. Veeery useful.

If GPS on a phone manages to save just one life then I'm all for it.

afd

macrumors 65816
Apr 12, 2005
Scotland
At the moment I go about with an iPod mini, SE k800i and if I need GPS a Palm T|X and a bluetooth GPS reciever. The iPhone gets rid of the first 2 easily. I would be very happy if I could loose the Palm too.
GPS is not something I use everyday - I know how to get to work, friends, relatives and shops etc., but it is very useful whe going on holiday and you are on unfamiliar roads. I used it everytime I got into the car on holiday in Portugal. I also value having a clean driving licence, so when driving on motorways, knowing where the speed cameras are is very useful.
Is not having GPS on an iPhone going to stop me wanting one? No.
Would I use GPS on an iPhone? Absolutely.
Going off topic a bit,I used to like Palms, but it looks like they are going down the windows route, since my phone does calender, address book and email, all I need it for is taking notes at meetings, watching video, reading eBooks and GPS, all of which the iPhone could be capable of.
It would be a shame if Apple didn't enable a GPS application to run on the iPhone. If you don't need it you don't need to use it, but plenty of people would, and probably pay extra for it. I would.

CEAbiscuit

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2006
The Kitchen
Bottom line - for a $600 phone shold have GPS and Navigation as an option... whether used or not should be up to the user. But if I can get Navigation on a $50 LG phone, I would sure expect it on a $600 iPhone...

sunfast

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2005
I depend on GPS as I do a lot of offshore yacht racing. But I have two dedicated systems - I wouldn't fancy depending on a mobile phone.

MichaelF

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2007
Utah
Yes, Virginia, there is an FCC requirement

IIRC, this is a proposal rather than a law. If you can provide a link supporting your claim, then I will gladly accept it. Even if it were law, it would only be workable in populated areas where cell towers are spaced closely enough for three of them to pick up a phone's signal. In many areas of the country, cell towers are few and far between. You get one tower or none at all.

As for the signal strength method, there is simply no way that it can approach the accuracy of GPS except possibly in the suburbs or a city park. Any obstruction which attenuates the signal sent to a cell tower will dramatically alter the location determined by triangulation. OTOH, GPS uses four (4) geosynchronous satellites and the time required for each of their timing signals to reach your receiver. Three are needed for triangulation and the fourth is a check on the other three. Civilian GPS can pinpoint a location to within a meter (about three feet).

Long story short--cell tower location is better than nothing, but GPS can distinguish you from the person trying to provide you with aid.

The law calls the cell phone location technology E911, perhaps you've heard of it? To save you time fuddling with entering the words "cell phone location technology" into Google, here is a quick description of E911:

Short for Enhanced 911, a location technology advanced by the FCC that will enable mobile, or cellular, phones to process 911 emergency calls and enable emergency services to locate the geographic position of the caller. When a person makes a 911 call using a traditional phone with ground wires, the call is routed to the nearest public safety answering point (PSAP) that then distributes the emergency call to the proper services. The PSAP receives the caller's phone number and the exact location of the phone from which the call was made. Prior to 1996, 911 callers using a mobile phone would have to access their service providers in order to get verification of subscription service before the call was routed to a PSAP. In 1996 the FCC ruled that a 911 call must go directly to the PSAP without receiving verification of service from a specific cellular service provider. The call must be handled by any available service carrier even if it is not the cellular phone customer's specific carrier. Under the FCC's rules, all mobile phones manufactured for sale in the United States after February 13, 2000, that are capable of operating in an analog mode must include this special method for processing 911 calls.

The FCC has rolled out E911 in two phases. In 1998, Phase I required that mobile phone carriers identify the originating call's phone number and the location of the signal tower, or cell, accurate to within a mile. In 2001, Phase II required that each mobile phone company doing business in the United States must offer either handset- or network-based location detection capability so that the caller's location is determined by the geographic location of the cellular phone within 100 meter accuracy and not the location of the tower that is transmitting its signal. The FCC refers to this as Automatic Location Identification (ALI).

I oversimplified the location mechanism for simplicity's sake, but since you also have a Master's Degree in Electrical Engineering and over twenty years experience in radio communications, I'll give you the straight technical scoop:

Most of the carriers selecting the E911 technology favor a combination of time difference of arrival (TDOA), which calculates a phone's position based on the speed the signal reaches multiple nearby antennas, and angle of arrival (AOA). With AOA, cellular towers identify the direction from which a signal is coming and then plot the direction of the incoming call based on a reading from two towers. TDOA is how GPS works, as you know. ESM and SIGINT receivers usually use AOA to get a position fix. Yes, I know multipath effects add Rayleigh fading to the signal strength measurements, but they also add errors to TDOA and AOA measurements as well.

As for the case where only two cell phone towers are in range in a rural area, they are usually sited to provide overlapping coverage along commonly used roads - which is also where you're most likely to find someone who is not familiar with the area and needs help. And I still think the third tower down the road could still get enough signal to make a TDOA and/or AOA estimate. In any case, emergency crews would start with the reasonable assumption to start looking for the person on or near the road.

As for GPS versus E911 accuracy, remember that GPS WAAS (which is a form of Differential GPS) provides that 3 meter accuracy. If you are not near a WAAS transmitter you are back to 15 to 30 meter accuracy. In any case, if you tell a highly motivated paramedic that someone is hurt and the paramedic knows their location within 300 feet - I'm pretty sure they will be able to find them.

Look, if you like GPS and already carry one around - adding it to your phone saves you weight and cost.

OK, I'm done wrestling with this subject. Happy trails to all. I'm gonna go look at Leopard screen shots and count down the days to my new iMac.

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Nov 27, 2003
I don't know if I'm talking about the same thing, but it would be useful these days for parents to be able to locate their children's whereabouts. Does a GPS phone act as a tracking device?

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I WILL have GPS in my next phone, car, or both.

My parents have it, and it's GREAT. It's incredibly mature and efficient, much better than paper maps.

If you say there's no need for GPS, then I take it maps have no use either? You must then never leave your neighborhood :)

Because a GPS (for driving as opposed to hiking) is basically the ultimate map: it knows where you are. Now throw in the ability to give you directions!

I don't care so much about OTHER people knowing where I am. (But maybe I would if I was surviving on roots and berries after being dropped in the forest by a tornado.)

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
sales reps would use it all the time. my lord boss1 - you must have a job in an office or anything related to sales. if you don't or never have, then you've got a good excuse for not knowing better. if you have or do, you should be ashamed :)

my wife is a financial advisor. she's on the road ALOT. she could load up maps/routes for meetings of the day; when she's on the road, if there's a stoppage in traffic, a gps phone or mapping device could point her around the stoppage.

so many uses.

but i'm a hunter and use a gps device all the time and swear by them on a number of levels.

i think your thread is personally biases...you have no need for one so it fueled your thoughts. no problem with that, but you should know a little bit about your topic first :)

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
To sum up, GPS is useful for:

• businesses monitoring their clients (trucks, taxis, couriers)
  • parents keeping tabs on their kids' whereabouts
  • helping road warriors and busy executives get from place to place in unfamiliar places
  • navigating YOU from point to point through unfamiliar places (vacation, or like me and severely directionally-challenged)
  • locating camps, trails, game, in hunting and fishing
  • emergency services (911 location)
  • geocaching
  • camping, orienteering
  • positioning, waypointing, charting on lakes and oceans

Whether GPS in your cell phone is equally useful as a handheld unit for the above is a valid question, but I don't see why not.

m-dogg

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2004
Connecticut
GPS is one of those things that does not seem necessary at all...until you own one. And then you'll wonder why you didn't get it sooner!

I don't know how much I'd use it in my phone, but in a car, there is no question. If I travel with someone who doesn't have a GPS in their car, I bring mine. The next car I buy will have a factory-installed GPS

I love my Garmin Nuvi 360 - It's awesome!

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
Human existence has managed without GPS for thousands of years and all of a sudden people seem to imply it's a necessary navigation survival tool. :confused:

Human existence has managed without cellphones for thousands of years and all of a sudden people seem to imply it's a necessary survival tool. :confused:

Human existence has managed without computers for thousands of years and all of a sudden people seem to imply it's a necessary survival tool. :confused:

:p

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
GPS is a great technology and I've toyed with the idea of getting one for years. Also, as an archaeologist it's a standard tool of the trade these days, along with other electronic survey equipment.

With that said, a lot of people with GPS satnav rely on it a little too much when travelling - sometimes those things are just wrong, and if you don't have a map handy and some awareness you can still get yourself lost, even with the GPS.

I doubt they'll put GPS in the iPhone but it would be a very cool feature.

stealthman1

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2006
Ca
I have OEM GPS in two of my vehicles, I would never buy another vehicle without it. The GPS in the Japanese car is much more functional than the German car, though both have saved me lots of time...that's where the 'need' derives from. In 'Freeway Mode' it shows me as many upcoming exits as I want to scroll though and tells me what services are at each...that doesn't sound like much, but when you stop for gas and eat at 'Joe Truck Stop Burger', then realize In-N-Out was at the next exit having a GPS that knows where every Starbucks on earth is be pretty damn cool! GPS with POIs in a phone would ROCK!!! GPS sucks batteries like there going out of style though, so I don't expect it soon. It is no substitute for a map though when traveling long distances, both the Jap and the Krout cars think the quickest way to Vegas is through Los Angeles...:rolleyes:

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
BTW

GPS doesn't use much power at all. What uses power is the maps app and your radio to download data to show you where you are. The actual GPS chip uses barely anything and ONLY is active when you're in an app that calls upon it.

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Feb 4, 2009
Upstate NY
Idk about you but my mother is terrible with directions. An iPhone comes in handy when your in the car with her and she's yelling about not knowing were the heck she is. That said I only have an iPod touch now awaiting my iPhone....also how can you be against a GPS IF your lost. I guarentee when your driving to an important meetig and you can't find t you'll regret this thread and use it.

EDIT: wtf? Why was this thread revived I barely noticed tell now!

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
Actually, since 2000, this has not been the case. Consumer GPS can be as accurate as it's military counterpart now - that is, of course, with similar equipment. You're $300 mobile phone with GPS isn't going to work half as well as the $3,000 one they issue to troops, the $5,000 one they slap in hummers, or whatever. there's no comparison.

the military ones can be loaded with special encryption keys. the Air Force can send a command so that the satellites start to return less accurate info. usually in case of war or a terrorist threat. the military ones will continue to function and the civilian ones will be accurate to only 300 meters or so.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
EDIT: wtf? Why was this thread revived I barely noticed tell now!

Yep. I didn't check the dates on the posts either and I was reading along and getting ready to hit "Reply" and post my thoughts... then I found not one, but TWO posts that I'd contributed already. That was a bit startling :D

ViViDboarder

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2008
USA
like i said, extremely rare situation and very circumstantial. And as another reader noted above, your cellular device doesn't need extravagant GPS features in order for them to get your location. Yadda yadda

What qualifies as extravagant? Also, we got by for years without the use of Cellphones as well or the need to be in constant contact with people by voice or by internet!!!

It's probably extremely rare that you'd need to get facebook on your phone or have to look something up online. So should they not include data on phones?

The thing is, there IS a use and it's a technology advancement.

There are PLENTY of reasons to use GPS... Is it required to survive? Not often, but then again, neither is the phone. I could call someone and find out directions from the metro to my destination, or I can just use my GPS. Different tech, same necessity, same results.

Bottom line - for a $600 phone shold have GPS and Navigation as an option... whether used or not should be up to the user. But if I can get Navigation on a $50 LG phone, I would sure expect it on a $600 iPhone...

Agreed. It should be an option. If you'd rather use a regular map or call people for your directions you can feel free to do that. It's not going to hurt you.

Should you be in a situation where you do happen to need (use your imagination) GPS, you'll have it.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
What's really the point of this thread?

I mean, we don't really need cell phones as landlines and public phones are pretty much everywhere. I don't see the point of a word processing application as typewriters have been doing a bang up job for years. What's really the point of maps? I mean, there are street signs everywhere. This just doesn't make any sense, have you never been to a new city, or been unclear about an address or directions?

Type121

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2004
Northeast
The military may well have something new up their sleeve now, but everyone gets the same signals from the NAVSTAR satellites (e.g. the GPS constellation).

Close. Civilian receivers work off the C/A code while military receivers can also receive the P(Y) code

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPS_signals

After SA, which has been turned off, the largest error in GPS is usually the unpredictable delay through the ionosphere. The spacecraft broadcast ionospheric model parameters, but errors remain. This is one reason the GPS spacecraft transmit on at least two frequencies, L1 and L2. Ionospheric delay is a well-defined function of frequency and the total electron content (TEC) along the path, so measuring the arrival time difference between the frequencies determines TEC and thus the precise ionospheric delay at each frequency.
Receivers with decryption keys can decode the P(Y)-code transmitted on both L1 and L2. However, these keys are reserved for the military and "authorized" agencies and are not available to the public. Without keys, it is still possible to use a codeless technique to compare the P(Y) codes on L1 and L2 to gain much of the same error information. However, this technique is slow, so it is currently limited to specialized surveying equipment. In the future, additional civilian codes are expected to be transmitted on the L2 and L5 frequencies (see GPS modernization, below). Then all users will be able to perform dual-frequency measurements and directly compute ionospheric delay errors.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.