Anti Missile Lasers and Guns That Shoot Around Corners...

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Mr. Anderson, Oct 29, 2003.

1. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/ptech/10/29/laser.cannon.ap/index.html

wild stuff - the potential for the the laser system is huge - but I'm wondering if its only a matter of time before we see highly polished missiles that reflect and defeat the laser.

The shoot-around-the-corner gun is great though. Special forces will love that thing.

D

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Very interesting.

Did you see the stuff the CIA is displaying? Mechanical dragonfly listening device, coin sized camera, robotic fish who's mission is still classified.... Pretty cool stuff.
    Link

3. jrv3034 macrumors 6502a

You realize that this is the stuff of Sci-Fi movies, "laser cannons"... jeez, the future is starting to look kind of scary. Cool, but scary...

4. Kid Red macrumors 65816

5. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

That is very interesting technology. Good for Israel backing this technology. The idea of the view finder on the rifle is cool. Before the article I was wondering about the shooter seeing around the corner.

6. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    Re: Anti Missile Lasers and Guns That Shoot Around Corners...

THis is not too new. There were guns with 90 degree angled barrels in use during WWII. Unfortunately, the add on barrel only lasted a few shots.

7. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Yes, but these guns have a camera that allows them to see where they're shooting, no mirrors. Cool stuff.

And if you add a night vision system you could look and shoot around corners in the dark....;)

D

8. x86isslow macrumors 6502a

i would think that cameras would be a liability in battle, they would seem more likely to break than mirrors.

9. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

But these aren't just for battle, but for stealth and special forces.

If you had just one or two guys with these guns and were working building to building, room to room, they'd give you more survivability and better chances.

They are just pistols, so you wouldn't want everyone with one - but to prevent an ambush or check for cover before making a move would be great.

D

10. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I also think that it's camera that will make this a great asset for our special forces. Think that it probably has or will have the capability fo night vision.

11. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Have you heard of the other gun that shoots around corners? Its crazy. It has a lazer that detects the distance of the wall from the gun, then adds another foot or so to that distance. It then shoots a bullet that explodes sending tons of bbs in a circle around the area. pretty crazy.

12. Phil Of Mac macrumors 68020

Phil Of Mac

How the hell did they make a laser powerful enough to do this? This is pretty nice. I want one mounted on my PowerBook!

13. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

wow, that gun kicks major ass. i want one right now. now they should impliment it into paintball guns so i can still shot people without killing them.

iJon