Anti-virius needed or no?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by brentg33, Mar 7, 2007.

1. brentg33 macrumors 6502a

Just got a macbook, coming off of windows.....saw something like Clamxav, is that even needed? is there any harm in installing that just incase? also, outside of appzapper, what is another good uninstaller?
    thanks
    brent

2. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

Outside of AppZapper, you might look at CleanApp or AppDelete.

As for anti-virus software, there aren't currently very many (any?) viruses "in the wild" for OS X, but if you're truly worried about it, it won't hurt anything to run it.

I practice safe browsing habits and don't run any AV software currently and I feel perfectly safe. When/If viruses start appearing for OS X, I will probably install ClamXAV as my AV of choice.

3. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

At the moment I would say you are safe, BUT I would install Anti-virus, just in case. :eek:

FJ

4. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

No. My processor cycles would be better spent protecting me from the boogeyman.

5. merc669 macrumors 6502

merc669

Agree with topgunn...Never had a problem of a virus since I have had my MBP for close to a year and I would rather have my processor occupied with more important things.....

Bill.....:)

6. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

uApp is another handy little free uninstaller.:)

7. nateDEEZY macrumors 6502a

ClamXav is a great application, I don't know why people are so hesitant to install it. It doesn't run in the background or anything... It only runs when you want it to run.

If you want to be on the safe side, I'd install it. I always run any download programs through it.

8. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-brentg33

Agreed with the others. There are about zero virii that your machine can get. While that could always change in the future, right now, antivirus software fore a Mac is a waste of time, money HDD space and CPU cycles.

One little tip however: It is possible that you machine can receive virii that are intended for windows. Don't panic, they'll just sit on your desktop doing nothing. The risk is infinitesimally small, but it is possible to transmit that virus to others, so trashe 'em when you see 'em.

9. brentg33 thread starter macrumors 6502a

but would it hurt the machine to run a program like clamxav?

10. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-brentg33

Don't know anything about it. Don't see any real harm though if you want to.

11. brentg33 thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks
    has anyone heard of Macscan, or something like that...its a spyware scanner....needed or no?

12. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

Not needed.

13. semaja2 macrumors 6502a

If a virus was let out that did mass damage quickly, NO AV would protect you i dont even think the current AV for OSX does checks like the windows ones where they look for applications that are doing odd things.

I would in all serious not bother with any AV, there is NO point at ALL, even if your on a windows network i would leave it upto them to run a virus scanner for their viruses

14. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-brentg33

Try to remember this: OS X is based on a Unix variant e.g. designed to be on all the time, debugged ad-nauseum, and secure as priority #3 (the former are #1, and #2).

Windows, even Vista, is built upon a codebase (yes, it's diminishing with every version, but it's still there) that had no concept of the Internet. So security, despite recent attention, is still a fundamental issue. It's not arrogance per, se, it's just that was the thinking at the time, and they've just moved the code forward.

That being said, spyware, virii, trojans, worms, et. al. are just not as easy to write to any kind or effectiveness for OS X. Sure, nothing is invulnerable, just tougher than others.

So you really, honestly, don't have to worry about it right now.

15. theman5725 macrumors 6502

There is absolutely no point of having anti-virus for Macs.

16. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

I actually started running an anti-virus on my Mac, not because there are any OS X viruses out there (0 so far!), but because I deal with a lot of Word files from PC users, and getting a Macro virus can be a PITA. Mainly because then I have to run ClamXAV on all the files and it's just time wasted. Having the anti-virus scan all my downloaded Word files makes my day a little easier.

17. BilltheCat macrumors regular

BilltheCat

what do you use if not clamav?

18. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Not needed. That product was devveloped to scam on switcher's fears.

19. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

I use McAfee VirusScan, which I get for free through my University.

20. brentg33 thread starter macrumors 6502a

should i be keeping clamXav on all the time or only when i need to scan

21. ppnkg macrumors 6502a

ppnkg

Get ClamXav. I haven't had a virus so far on my mac, but if you're interacting with windows users, the responsible thing to do is chack any documents etc that pass through your computer. I think.

22. astarling06 macrumors regular

astarling06

At my university, all computer users are required to use antivirus in order to use the campus-wide wireless. For PC users, they use Trend Micro and for Mac users, we have to use Norton and the university provides the antivirus for free. It doesn't do much except just sit there from what I can tell. Since I recently switched from PC to Mac in January, I'm used to having antivirus on a computer so it's not big deal to have it on my Mac whether I need it or not.

23. brentg33 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I did download ClamXav, but i kinda confused on how to use it....is it something that i should keep open on my dock, or only use it to scan files that i download and quit the application after the scan, does it offer any real time protection?

24. oligore macrumors member

oligore

Just keep your firewall on. I reckon thats the only virus protection you need

25. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

its not going to hurt but its going to take up some of your RAM and slow you down, dont know anything about the program so it may not be a big deal, youll see tho.