Anti Virus info for a newbie.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by dunks.paddler, Feb 24, 2005.

1. dunks.paddler macrumors newbie

Feb 21, 2005
    Hi Folks,

First Mac arrives on Monday. Switching from PC to Powerbook. Will be connecting straight to wireless network. Having spent last few years locking down everything with antivirus, anti-spyware etc on windows machines unsure what issues are with macs. What software would you recommend? Are viruses etc such a big threat?

Cheers in advance.

Powerbook 17" 1.67 1GB Ram 100HDD almost..... :)
  2. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

Apr 21, 2003
    washington dc
    :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

you're kidding right??

you don't need any of that crap
  3. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
  4. bubbamac macrumors 6502

Dec 24, 2003
    Please do a search for "Antivirus" on the forum for discussions ad nauseum.

In the meantime, I wouldn't let any Norton Software in the same room with my Mac. Norton for the Mac is buggy - and that's being kind.

You don't need AV software - for the time being.
  5. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    As of today, zero viruses, zero spyware. That will change, I'm sure. However, there isn't any decent AV software for the Mac (maybe Norton, but there are a lot of forum members who believe it to be bad for their Macs, and maybe Virex, but you need to join .Mac to get that - but it's included in the membership). Since there aren't any viruses, it's impossible to tell if any of the AV software works at doing anything except detecting PC viruses in email from friends, which might stop you from spreading something to other friends, but it won't infect your mac.
  6. uaaerospace macrumors 6502

Feb 15, 2005
    I have had my PMs (G3 for a few months, then my G5 for the rest of the time) connected to our LAN at college for the past 2 years. It stays on all day, so it is constantly "online." When I browse the net, I am not the least bit cautious about what I click on. Maybe I am just lucky, but I have never had any problems at all any type of virus, etc. My roommate (3.4 P4 Compaq) has had 2 viruses in the same amount of time, and repeated pop-ups even when not browsing the net....and he IS careful. What I am trying to say is that you don't need any type of antivirus/adware software on your Mac. It will just be unneeded overhead on your processor(s). ~Josh
  7. h0e0h macrumors 6502a

Aug 30, 2004
    West Monroe, Louisiana
    i'm a .mac member and believe you me, i didn't sign up for Virex. I've never used it, and only run it once... just to see what would happen... heck, i think i'll run it right now... simply for my own amusement... and the result is... AH HA! just as i suspected... absolutely nothing... listen, this is how bad it is, i have a PC and ALL (i mean literally all) i use it for is posting in these forums and playing solitare... no email... no nothing... so i don't even have any anti virus software installed... that's pretty sad isn't it...
  8. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Jul 17, 2004
    I'll go easy on you because it is your first Mac.

HECK NO!
  9. Bigheadache macrumors 6502

Mar 1, 2004
    No need for spyware software. However you'll find alot of people on this forum way too cocky about security. A quick peruse of the Secunia website shows that Linux, BSD, Apple, etc all have weaknesses. At the moment there are 3 unpatched vulnerabilities in Mac OS X. On the plus side, they aren't rated very high as threats and there doesn't seem to be any indication that anyone has targeted them. The point is, no system is perfect and it probably wouldn't hurt for people to take system security a bit more seriously.
  10. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    good points, i dont have any AV software, but the day there is a virus for mac i will find out right here

i do have a firewall up, both hardware & software, it wont hurt to have at least these going for you
  11. gekko513 macrumors 603

Oct 16, 2003
    A .Mac subscription includes a license to use Virex. I have .Mac, but I don't use Virex.

If you have a need for the other services that .Mac gives, like: e-mail, easy ways of sharing photos and more, online storage, home-page, easy access and syncing of data between computers, backup software and other online goodies, then it could be a good solution.
  12. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    There are:
    A) 0 known viruses for Mac OS X
    B) 2 known trojans for OS X, one that was never released into the wild and one which does not spread, requires you to input your password for it to install, and only installs a keylogger.
    C) 0 known spyware for OS X.

So, no virus worries.
  13. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Jul 17, 2004
    A, B, 3?
    Eh? :confused:
  14. Chappers macrumors 68020

Aug 12, 2003
    At home
    Thats ok - GFLPraxis just knows something you don't
  15. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004

Doh. Editted. Thats what I get for typing too fast.
  16. james.sumners macrumors newbie

Feb 14, 2005
    The only reason to use virus protection software on platforms other than Windows is to further protect the Windows users.
  17. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    I've used Norton for over twenty years. Only had a problem once that required a phone call to the Norton help desk.
  18. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Jan 23, 2005
    Yep, all it does is install a keylogger than logs your keystrokes, nothing important... :rolleyes:

If you get that how do you remove it?
  19. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Jul 17, 2004
    I guess the question is, would you be stupid enough to enter your administrator password after double clicking on the installer and going through the required OS X -style installer pages?

If you are that stupid, then..... :rolleyes:
  20. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mar 10, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    As said earlier, a quick search would have genererated enough threads on this subject, the last good one I can remember is this one...

I still stand by my words from then, anti virus is (probably) useless, but keep your firewall on and if you're paranoid, like me, try HenWen, Little Snitch and/or Paranoid Android. Edit: A couple of links added...
  21. dunks.paddler thread starter macrumors newbie

Feb 21, 2005
    Thanks for the advice. Seems caution is advisable but problems really don't exist yet which is great.

For those who seemed so suprised I asked the question please go easy on me! Never owned or really used a mac and worked day in day out with PC's for last 8 years which kind of makes you very paranoid and security aware particularly after several major disasters with individual machines and whole networks.