anti-virus software

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by unc32, Feb 19, 2003.

1. unc32 macrumors regular

I have access to a site license of Norton Antivirus from my University. Should I use it? Do I need it? What are your guys thoughts?

2. beez7777 macrumors 6502a

beez7777

assuming you're on a mac, don't bother. there aren't really any mac viruses out, and i've heard of some people saying that norton screws up their system.

3. funkywhat2 macrumors 6502a

funkywhat2

Don't listen to this kid. He got a virus disguised as a program that he executed, and he lost everything. I owuld use it, but Norton does have some issues with certain people's systems.

4. Freg3000 macrumors 68000

Freg3000

Yeah, there are come problems with "certain people's systems." What happens if he ends up installing it, and Norton screws everything up? Then he would be one of those people...

I'd be weary of installing any anti-virus programs. Like it was said above, there are very few Mac viruses (viri?) to even worry about, so you probably are increasing your chances of problems when putting something like Norton on your computer.

JMHO.

5. beez7777 macrumors 6502a

beez7777

it wasn't a virus that messed up my system, it was when you tried to do something through the terminal or something, and when i tried to boot into OS 9, it couldn't recognize the disk. the thing you're probably referring to was just a messed up file from limewire, didn't do any harm. my advice to unc32: dont download anything from limewire or any other file sharing programs, and you should be fine.

also, freg, i believe that both "virii" and "viruses" are correct as the plural of "virus." :)

6. funkywhat2 macrumors 6502a

funkywhat2

That's why I said there are some issues.

Back up your work, then install. If nothing happens, then you're good. If something does happen, then you have a backup.

Now your protected from the few, yet violent Mac virii that you could get.

7. funkywhat2 macrumors 6502a

funkywhat2

Yeah, maybe. I've never used the terminal on your system. You decided to d/l Office, it finished and you installed. Then, you tried to go into 9 and it broke.

8. Bear macrumors G3

People who pirate software shouldn't complain in public places. Actually they should go get real jobs and buy the software they need.

As for Norton or any other software that interacts at such a low level with the OS, check with the software company as to the compatability of the version of the antivirus (or other) software with the version of the OS you are running.

9. beez7777 macrumors 6502a

beez7777

that's not what happened, first of all, the dload was incomplete, so when i tried to open an incomplete file, i got an error, which was like 2 weeks before you started messing with stuff. im not gonna hijack this thread with a flame war, so i'll end it now.