Anti-virus software...

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by deputy_doofy, Oct 1, 2006.

1. deputy_doofy macrumors 65816

deputy_doofy

Not sure if this forum is the exact place to ask this, but....

Are there any FREE anti-virus programs for Windows? I ask because my gf's McAfee subscription ran out and she won't re-subscribe, not because she doesn't want to, but because she probably doesn't know she needs to. Secondly, I don't want her paying for such nonsense.

I'll be moving in with her so she will have access to use my Powerbook G4, my PowerMac G5, and soon my MBP w/Merom :p (at which time she will have full-time access to the Powerbook :D). I know, however, that she still likes to use her Dell. Therefore, I want to keep it protected, but don't want to pay for the "privilege."

Thanks.

2. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

i'll second that vote. AVG is pretty much install and forget about it. :)

3. pincho macrumors regular

pincho

avast anti-virus initial FREE registration is needed, but it is very lightweight and never had a problem with it for 1 1/2 years so far (Y)

4. deputy_doofy thread starter macrumors 65816

deputy_doofy

Cool. Appreicate these answers. I have been running HitManPro 2 on it for the last month just to clean out the endless spyware/adware she had. Even the "about:blank" page was a giant ad until I ran that. Amazing, the amount of stuff Windows users must endure regularly. Still fascinates me that people still WANT to use that OS...