Anti-virus software

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Btoney, Oct 24, 2003.

1. Btoney macrumors newbie

I want to install anti virus software for Mac OS X and have been checking out some suppliers' sites. Can someone tell me the difference between Virex and VirusScan? I found the McAfee Security site confusing.
    I would also be interested in any views on anti virus products.
    :rolleyes:

2. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Anti-virus apps for OS X are pretty much optional...for now.

The only thing I've seen with any regularity is a Word virus that plagues some files people send around at work. It doesn't damage anything, it just kicks off the email virus filters.

3. alset macrumors 65816

alset

I would recommend Virex, as I know nothing about other antivirus apps in X. Virex works in the background, though it's never found a problem on my OS X machines. Doesn't hurt to have it, though :) .

4. Btoney thread starter macrumors newbie

Just as a matter of interest, the reason I am investigating anti-virus software is that my bank (The Royal Bank - one of the leading Canadian banks) has revised its contract for the provision of online services and users are required to confirm that they have anti-virus software installed (regardless of which platform they use). I wonder if this is a trend?
    I'm still trying to find out the difference betwen Virex and VirusScan.

5. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Virex and VirusScan.

I'm not 100% sure, but i think VirusScan was the original program for windows. Virex is the mac version.

6. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

The difference between VirusScan and Virex is that McAfee no long develops VirusScan for Macintosh and bought DataWatch, the developer of Virex, which has been the leading anti-virus software for most of the existance of Macintosh.

There are others such as VirusBarrier and Norton Anti-Virus and quite a few that are hard to locate, such as Innoculan.

I have used Virex almost exclusively but might also trust VirusBarrier.

7. Btoney thread starter macrumors newbie

Many thanks for the info. I have downloaded a trial version of VirusBarrier and we'll see how it goes.
    I will also take a look at Virex.

8. Schiffi macrumors 6502a

Schiffi

Just a question, Has anyone's anti-virus program actually found a virus before?

9. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I've heard of other people finding viruses on their Mac, even lately, but it rarely happens. Last I saw, there were only 42 native viruses and those would be Mac OS X-incompatible. Then, there are the 20,000+ MS Office viruses that are probably caught frequently.

I never worked without virus protection by choice, but unless Apple hardware becomes interesting to virus writers, I'm not too worried. Besides, I used to remove viruses in Windows without anti-virus software.