Anti-Virus

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by D3AD, Nov 27, 2006.

1. D3AD macrumors newbie

Just A Thought I Grew Up With A Windows Computer I Was Just Wondering If Macs Used Any Tpe Of Anti-Virus Protection. I Know My Old Windows Computer Used Norton Is There Anyhting You Need Like That For A Mac?

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

No need for any anti-virus on Mac. Cause there are none (viruses). There is Norton for Mac, but it will just screw things up.

3. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

The only thing you might want to consider is if you share a lot of files with Windows users, you might want to have ClamXav on hand to scan those documents so that you don't pass along viruses to them. But your Mac (running OS X) is safe for now without any antivirus software.

4. ChrisA macrumors G4

As of this date there are no Mac Viruses to be caught. None the less the folks at Norton will be happy to take your money and sell you a copy of "Norton Anti-virus for Macintosh"

(Tell you what? For $10 I'll sell you a device to keep Three eyed green men from the planet Zork out of your bedroom. You get double your money back if the device fails.)

Seriously, the reason you would buy Anti-virus software for a Mac or a Linux system is so that you can scan incoming e-mail for Windows Virus so you do not pass them on to your MS Windows friends.

5. failsafe1 macrumors 6502a

failsafe1

Isn't there a need for anti virus on Macs to help stop the spread of stuff to PC's? I am required to load Norton on my Macs at my office and don't like it. There are some rumblings that adware was recently demoed for macs but this may be fud I don't know. If you want some anitivirus that is not Norton look at Clamav. It is free and runs on Windows and OSX. I could not get the page to load but it looks like clamav.net is the address.