Anti-Virus

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Tclare, Jan 27, 2007.

1. Tclare macrumors regular

Hey!

I have just switched to a mac from a PC. I would like to download a free Anti-Virus scanner. And before you all reply in your hordes saying that Macs don't get viruses. I would just like to put my mind at peace. So what do you recommend?

2. piltupso macrumors regular

Well I've used ClamXav to track down some word macro virus problems my school can't seem to get rid of. It has never found anything else, but I am not sure what else there is to find to tell the truth.

3. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I know you said that you didn't want to hear this, but you don't need to protect your mac...

You will DEFINITELY hear about the first OSX virus the day it appears (if it does)

The only reason for mac antivirus is to scan files that you will share with windows PCs.

Apps such as ClamXAV check for Windows viruses, not those that would affect mac, so your mind should not be more at ease unless you think that windows PCs you share with are underprotected.

4. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

Ain't this the truth!

5. abbottpc.com macrumors member

You will find any people who have owned Macs for years and who never used a virus scanner. If you want one, make sure to use a free one. Companies make anti-virus software because they know that Windows switchers are scared.

6. BigPrince macrumors 68020

It will probably get in the way more then anything. Why add something thats not needed and can just bog down your system.

7. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

I don't even think about viruses and such. It took me a bit to get used to all the virus protection on my work PC when I first started. I couldn't open anything without it running, really annoying.

Just get used to not worrying, I know it is hard to understand, but there really are not viruses.

8. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

Why do you think the hordes were going to say that? Because it is the reality of the situation. Besides, if anything is ever devised to successfully attack OSX, none of the stuff you can buy is going to help.