Anti-Vista Marketing at Apple Stores

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 7, 2007.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Appleinsider reports that Apple will be increasing their direct marketing against Microsoft's Vista operating system with Apple Store materials:

The training materials specifically focus on the cost and confusion of upgrading to Vista, alongside direct comparisons with Apple's Mac OS X.

Apple's recent television ad campaign has also been directly targeted at Microsoft's Vista operating system.

2. Moderator emeritus

Time to dish some FUD the other way for a change...

3. macrumors 65816

Thus resurface the snarky jabs that made me stay away from the Macintosh for over a decaded.

4. macrumors 603

roland.g

That's great, but the best anti-vista marketing would be a release of Leopard.

Or at least a date.

5. macrumors 603

notjustjay

Yeah, I've always felt the best way to switch a non-Mac user is to show them what's so nice about using a Mac, not belittle their current choice of operating system.

6. macrumors 6502a

xli_ne

very true

7. macrumors G4

But Vista isn't their current choice of OS. It looks and acts completely differently to XP. And unlike 10 years ago XP can now run on a Mac.

8. macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

You may find this campaign is a two pronged attack. Once Leopard is released then they can start promoting what it can do.

Mocking Vista is kind of like launching a pre strike bombardment of the beaches.

9. macrumors P6

Peace

10. macrumors regular

All this bickering and name calling is getting really old. A good product should be able to stand up on its own and pointing fingers and making snarky comments is simply asking for trouble IMHO.

11. macrumors 6502

I hate apples marketing, they are so full of themselves.
    Im thinking about switching to ubuntu as soon as it's fully supported for my macbook.

12. macrumors 604

iJon

All good products come with some comparing marketing. Bud vs Miller, Cable vs Satellite, Pringles, vs Lays, etc. Apple is simplying setting people up to rethink their OS purchase and come check out a Mac. Apple knows that Mac OS X is that good that all it takes is to get someone to use it and it's safe to say Microsoft has lost a customer for life. If Apple doesn't compete and exploit flaws in their competitor then only current Mac users will continue to use Macs.

As much as you people think Apple is full of themselves and lying, they aren't. I see customers every day who love these commercials and fully agree and relate to every one of them. These are also the same people who are ECSTATIC about taking home a new Mac.

Bring on the Vista campaign, if Microsoft has such a good product than they shouldn't have to worry.

jon

13. macrumors 68000

RichP

BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD Marketing idea!

Never directly confront a competitor that is so much larger than you head-on. All Apple has to do is keep releasing hardware and OS's that are strong enough to speak for themselves.

Lets anger MS some more, maybe they will pull the plug on Office then, as they did with IE and Windoze Media. (which although I dont really like any of those products, they are necessary evils. If MS ever dropped Office, alot of us would be forced to become "switch-back-ers"

14. macrumors 6502a

Dunepilot

A/B comparison shows that Apple is confident in its product. When you only have a small market share, that's what you have to do, and being proud/boastful is in the nature of a company that is increasingly modelled on Jobs himself. This is a good thing, I say.

15. macrumors P6

Peace

Unless Apple was coming out with an Apple Office app ;)

16. macrumors 6502

You can still use Codeweavers CrossOver to run Windows programs like MS Office in Mac OS X. We'd survive :D

http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxmac/

17. macrumors 68020

sunfast

This sort of behaviour disappoints me and does nothing to help the perceived smugness of mac users. I was detered from the Mac by what I considered their superiority complex and it was only when I eventually tried the product that I changed my mind.

18. macrumors G4

You're forgetting that Microsoft just released Vista in a blaze of publicity showing how they'd innovated all those new features. Most people out there will believe that publicity unless Apple hammer the point home that OSX had them first.

I don't want to be having that argument with people again as to why Microsoft didn't come up with "that feature" when Windows users start slagging off my Mac. I'm tired of that conversation. With a couple of months of careful marketing now, Apple can ensure I don't have to.

19. macrumors newbie

I am disgusted.. very childish....

I hope that the t-shirts say "Cancel or Allow" on them!

Sorry... s******....

Fletch

20. macrumors 603

Rocketman

Peace, you crack me up.

Microsoft HATES real competition, so watch for backlash.

Rocketman

21. macrumors 603

Stella

It won't be Microsoft Office. That is the killer app.

22. macrumors 601

andiwm2003

they'd better release leopard and show things that are standard functionality on os x but can't be done with vista at all. that would attract people.

23. macrumors 6502

This is stupid. This is getting really old and it is no longer fun. We know mac is a good oprating system but it is time to stop macing fun of Microsoft. Since macs are better lets find another way to convert PC users not by macing fun of them. Instead show them what mac is and not hat microsoft is not.

24. macrumors 6502

frozencarbonite

I don't like the idea of companies bashing other companies to advertise.

I say just advertise your product's strength and let the customer decide in the end which product they would rather buy.

This whole get a mac campaign has turned into something I do not agree with. It's nothing but Windows bashing now.

25. macrumors 604

gkarris

Just for fun:

Look, Steve, eventually my system will be on all your computers...