Anti-War Demonstrators March on Washington

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Sep 24, 2005.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

link

so, 100k in DC, 10k in london, thousands elsewhere. a strong showing?

2. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

My sister went from NYC to DC for this. I couldn't go, I had too much homework and book shopping to do :(.

_Emerson

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Not really, especially compared to past demonstrations. It hasn't made much impact in the news either.

Especially when this is now public knowledge.

For or against — most people in the UK accept this as Tony Blair's war and since he's due to stand down within the next couple of years, there's a general feeling that things are just gently playing out.

Besides, the economy over here is slowing down, large lay-offs are starting to be reported. Consumer spending is way down — there are other concerns that seem to be pre-occupying the British public at the moment.

4. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

I only saw about 2 pro-war folks, and I can't believe that it was only 100,000. There were so many people the march was more like a slow shuffle--the streets were too packed.

My favorite sign:

"The Rapture is not an exit strategy."

5. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

oh, i hadn't seen that.

ahhh, because it's from the future.

6. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

nice.

7. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

:D

8. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Yeah, I saw the protest on C-SPAN. Sir George Galloway, actress Jessica Lange and Ralph Nader were among the speakers.

One of the organizers put the number of protesters at 300,000. Though that might be inflated, they did say several times that there were so many people that they had trouble getting the actual protest march moving -- the streets around the White House were just jammed with people.

Besides London, there were simultaneous demonstrations in Copenhagen and Helsinki.

9. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Lange and Nader were good, but very brief.

It was (to me) a very nice mix of people. Very different approaches to protest and opposition to the war and very different backgrounds. It really did seem to me to be a fairly diverse cross-section of Americans. That made a lot of sense to me, considering the extent of opposition to this war (not confined to any demographic).

On my way away from the mall though, I ran into the world Bank/IMF anarchist protest group. Now there's a bunch of jackasses.

10. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

And who do you think the right wing noise machine will play up?

11. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

We were having a manufacture demo day at work.As it was, we had two people out, without notice.

12. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

I watched some of the CSPAN coverage too.

Unfortunately, I felt that there were too many piggyback bit*ch fest issue speeches distracting from the primary focus of the protest.

I'm sure the radical right wing fundementalists will attempt to discredit this protest as an un-American display of support for left wing radicals.

I did enjoy hearing Bush and Co on national television referred to as criminals, liars and deceivers who belong in prison, numerous calls for impeachment and a general revolution to remove
    corruption from our goverment.

My kind of television! :D

13. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

so let's average it and call it 200k. not too shabby.

14. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Sorry, but for the blatant lies told and the better half of $200 billion dollars spent on the war in Iraq; we should have seen 500K to 1 million in the streets.

But I forget, that Republican polices have made people either too scared or too comfortable in their lives to really give a damn.

15. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

In some ways this is the issue that those on the left need to address. There may be a single issue of focus. Yet they let that single issue be clouded by trying to make it inclusive.

16. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

You're right; there were speakers there who were talking about South African repression, political prisoners in Cuba... It got better as it went on, but at one point I thought the protest got dangerously close to completely losing its focus.

On the positive side: lots of press this morning. It was almost the first thing I saw when I turned on CNN (upstaged only by the Rita coverage). It was also front page stuff in the Cleveland Plain Dealer and the Akron Beacon-Journal. Nice to see it isn't getting shoved to the inside pages.

My wife and I talked about the protest, and we both agreed that next time we would make an effort to take part. When Bush referred to the protesters as "well-meaning but wrong", we both also had a flashback to the protests of the 1960s and early 70s. Those protests didn't really make Nixon take notice until they got violent. It would be a shame if history had to repeat itself in that regard.

17. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

The neocons want the opposition to get violent.

They long for any excuse they can find to grind the heel of a jackboot into our faces.

18. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

There just isnt a reason for us to be in Iraq, there were no WMDs its was all spin by a inept cia and a republican aministration pushing its agenda. Most democrats were right on board with the spin they were fed. Im glad people are marching :)

A true test if this war is needed is by asking folks would you sacrifice yourself or your own child for this mission? Thats a big NO for me since there were no WMDs. We should demand our govt gets out of Iraq just to help pay for the Hurricanes if nothing else. People will catch on. slowly. It took this republican awhile.

Plus on a side note democracy isnt put in place by the end of a gun and we have Islam thats doesnt preach tolerance, how Iraq doesnt become another theocracy is beyond me.
    What happened to the guy that did 911 Bin Laden? spun nto Iraq....

19. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

the march was awesome. there were so many... just "normal" people. people my parents would be friends with. people with kids and dogs marching. people who don't read worker's weekly, etc etc. and that tells me that it's no longer "fringe" to be against the war. there were many first time protesters. there were signs like "we are moderates who aren't against war in general, but this was in iraq was a mistake based on lies..." etc.

i didn't stay for all the speakers (i spent most of the time at the green festival to learn about stuff once i had marched for a while and "been counted"), but i wish i could've seen ralph... ahh well

there were definitely more than 100k. it's pathetic that even though the washington post talked to the police chief, who said that the organizers had definitely surpassed their goal of 100k (and probably over 150k), they still say "tens of thousands" and use the 100k number most of the time. also, in today's wash post express (that most people read on the metro here in dc), there were 2 pictures from the pro-war rally on sunday.... which drew... 400 people! and none from saturday. sad

if there is another massive peace rally anytime soon i hope to get my parents (previous republican voters) to come. i just would love for them to see the signs like "catholics opposed to pre-emptive war"... ahhh

anyways, it was uplifting for sure. and inspiring

20. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

I saw that guy! That sign was really long, but I like his message that effective foreign aid is an important tool in combatting terrorism.

21. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

It's funny you mention that. On TV, you could see that as many of the "lesser" speakers...some of whom were reading poetry...came up to the podium, people started drifting away, presumably towards the march. But when they announced Nader, the cameras caught a number of people running back to the podium to hear him. :D

Earlier I said that my wife and I had thought about going, but didn't.

If everybody like me who merely thought about it would go to the next one, and folks like jelloshotsrule could persuade someone else to come along, how big would the protest be then? :cool:

22. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Protest is fine but Best way to show these guys is to vote their Butts out!..............all of them and lets throw term limits on these Senators just like the President. Close those doors to lobbiest and their $$$ and presto our Govt is fixed.

23. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

wow. i'm very happy to hear that. not to tangent too much... but i heard john de graaf (author of affluenza) speak about time, and how even us progressives need to make more time for family, etc... and not work work work. and i totally thought of ralph. such a great man who unfortunately for himself (and fortunately for millions i guess) put his mission before his personal life...

completely agree. i mean... it was definitely 150k+. i wondered what would happen if "we" all just stayed there? what if we ran the protest over the course of a few days. i think it's safe to say the end of the war is more important to most of us than missing a few days work... i think there's a point where arrests would be pointless, and they couldn't really move 100k+ people. just seems like it's not an impossible idea to shut down part of the city, peacefully of course, in a massive demonstration over the course of a few days...

thomas- where do you hail from? ie, how tough of a trip would it be for you?

24. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Like I said in the other thread, I support the protests fully... but I have to wonder if it is doing any good. I mean, I'm sure it raises awareness, and gets people pissed off over the corruption and mistakes of our leaders. But is it doing any good? We already feel that way. I still can't help but feel, well, helpless.

At least you guys are out there voicing your opinions though. Who knows, maybe as support dwindles, the administration will be forced into action. I just can't help thinking of Bush sitting there with his fingers in his ears going "la-la-la, I can't hear you".

25. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

yes, it provides hope.