Antique Clone Tech Question

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by umrdad, Dec 14, 2005.

1. umrdad macrumors member

Hi all, hope there's some antique mac guru's around here, anyway have a motorola starmax 3000/180 that's had the memory maxed (160mb) sonnett G3 in the L2 slot, running OS 9, the modem port died what i want to do is install a PCI modem but have been unable to find any info on this either compatible models or drivers i realize this is an antique suitable for a doorstop but here in Bugtussle where i live 56k is as good as it gets and this unit has been more reliable than a trusty dog for 5+ years i know i can use the printer port for another external modem but i'd really rather have an internal one if possible

2. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

your best bet is probably to get an external modem - either a geo-port modem or USB modem (if you have a USB card)

3. California macrumors 68040

California

Hey a friend of mine has one of those Starmax things and needs to get rid of it. Also needs me to take the information off the hard drive, but either the monitor is not plugged in right or doesn't work. I'm at a loss as to how to get something to plug into it. What would you suggest? And I'm sure it would be yours for shipping if you would walk me through things. It has been sitting for years, but does power up.

4. Arcus macrumors 6502a

For performance and quality nothing beats a US Robotics external modem. There is a reason they a $300. The worse your phone line is the more reason not to get an internal. Internal modems just cant compete.

I odnt really know if USR offers a solution for your system. If not try multi-tech.

5. umrdad thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the replies guys, california most of those shipped w/1gig hdd remove the cover pull it out and connect it in line w/another mac running same OS if its got usb or ethernet might be able to connect it w/another mac running OS X?? not sure about that do know for a fact they won't do **** w/dead PRAM battery that's how it got parked and now have pismo in process of hotrodding even though a lot of people turn their noses up at the starmax if you're just doing basic things web surfing, word processing, etc. and are stuck w/56k dial-up they're just as good now as they were 10 yrs ago