Antisocial WoW Players?

Discussion in 'Games' started by topgunn, Mar 21, 2007.

1. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

I have a question for all of you World of Warcraft players.

When I play games, I don't like to have to interact with other players. I don't like to wait for games to start online. I don't like to be schooled by people who spend exponentially more time playing than I do. I like to play for whatever chunks of time I have and that's it. If I have 30 minutes to play, I want to spend it playing and enjoying myself. I don't want to spend 20 minutes waiting to get a group together.

With all this in mind, could I still play and enjoy World of Warcraft?

2. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Airforce

Yup! That's how I play. I don't have time to wait around. I play 15 minutes here and there. With rested exp (doubles your exp), I still level up decently fast.

3. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

I don't think an MMO is for you.

4. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Airforce

He'd do fine. I do the same thing due to lack of time between life, college, and the Air Force. If I can do it, anyone can. ;)

5. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

I agree, I've played UO since 99' and ive gone through stages of just wandering around solo and hanging with guilds. In my experience once a guild gets too large it gets too political and there is too much BS around. I tend to stick to smaller guilds or on my own.

I think you will be fine, but in WoW i believe there are certain things that the devs require you team up for, i never liked the "on rails" feeling i got from WoW, i bored quickly from it.

Ed

6. topgunn thread starter macrumors 65816

topgunn

I have mudded for for 10+ years and I have enjoyed interacting with other players and occasionally teaming up to get something accomplished. But, I enjoy being able to do my own thing as well.

I have had the game stashed away in my desk drawer for nearly a year (it was on sale for $20 at Fry's so I picked it up) so I may go ahead and give it a whirl.

7. Allotriophagy macrumors 6502a

That is pretty much how I play it now. I prefer to play with real friends, in the same room together.

Otherwise I just spend my time buying Chinese gold and twinking my BG chars.

8. huck500 macrumors 6502

huck500

True, but the vast majority of content is easily solo-able. You can completely skip any quests that require you to team up, although it's pretty easy to find a temporary group to complete most of them.

I don't get the "on rails" comment, can you expand? Just curious.

I played almost exclusively solo up to 60 or so, and now I'm in a pretty big raiding guild... but I don't think I'll be able to deal with how seriously they seem to take everything. You'd think we were solving a world crisis or something...:rolleyes:

There's a good reason to play an MMO even if you don't like playing socially - they by nature are designed to give you a lot of freedom, and a lot of different kinds of things to do. I can't really play offline RPGs anymore, because they just seem kind of pointless and generic.

Just don't play FFXI... you have to group for everything in that game.

9. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

WoW is one of the (if not THE) most solo-able MMORPGs out there, in terms of game mechanics. However, I only really enjoyed it when I was able to play with real life friends, and when I was in an end-game raiding guild for six months (before it fell apart). That's me, you might be different.

10. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

You play the same as I do.

I found I did fine initially with WoW and enjoyed the first few hours leveling up and exploring the immediate vicinity.

HOWEVER... once your up to maybe level 15-20 + the only way to really progress in the game is to join a guild and then all that commitment crap kicks in and your in a gaming place you simply dont want to be in.

Not worth the effort imho unless your really willing to sit down to 2-4 hour gaming sessions with people constantly telling you what do, where to go, what your doing wrong....

If I want to be nannied, i'll hire a feckin nanny. I just want to enjoy the game on my own and at €15 a month I should be able to.... but thats not what wow is about and it requires way too much.. wayyyy toooo much...

11. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Airforce

I guess I'm playing a different wow. No nagging guild and I'm well past 20.

12. pcypert macrumors 6502

It's solo able...but for me the charm was in the groups. The solo stuff is hack at a wolf, hack at a more powerful wolf, hack at a ogre, hack at... Sometimes it's just so dang repetitive...but the dungeons and caves are cool...but even then can be annoying...you get stuck with folks who play non stop and have done it 25 times and they spoil every little bit and there's 0% failure chance...takes the fun out....

Paul

13. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Probably so. There has to be a reason why 5 million others are playing :) Just posting my experience which of course will be different to others.

Just found the game wanted tooooo much from me in order to get anything rewarding out.

Yep that was it for me. Solo levelling - run here kill 10 of these, run here kill 20 of these. That gets so repetative and tiresome, you look for a decent mission/quest and find you really need a guild/group to do it... And then exactly as you say "you get stuck with folks who play non stop and have done it 25 times and they spoil every little bit and there's 0% failure chance...takes the fun out...."

14. Kernow macrumors 65816

Kernow

Entirely depends on what you want out of the game. If you want to go after the very top end rewards then you will have to group together to get them, and invest a severe amount of time doing so.

However, it sounds like you play exactly the same way I do. Blizzard have put a lot of effort into making WoW accessible for the solo/casual player, and there is a vast amount of content that you can easily and enjoyably play in the way you want. You are in no way penalised for not being part of a guild or for not participating in raids etc. I am up to level 50 and I have played very much in the way you have described and enjoyed every minute of it.

I would say give it a go.

15. macjonny1 macrumors 6502a

macjonny1

You can solo up to level 70.
    Whoever said you need a guild above level 15-20 above doesn't know what they are talking about.

If you want to go in the instances, you will need a guild.

Some quests need groups, but again you can level to 70 solo, and have hours/days/years of fun without grouping.

You can make WoW into almost anything you want to do.

16. epicwelshman macrumors 6502a

epicwelshman

I played WoW for one of those week-log trial periods. Then I got bored, realised I wanted a deep solo RPG and bought a 360 and Oblivion.

17. beige matchbox macrumors 6502a

beige matchbox

I play on my own most of the time, i used to play with a mate but he lost interest a while ago

I've got 4 or 5 level 19s, a couple in their 30s in a level 60, all pretty much done on my own, or in impromptu groups formed while i was doing the quest. I'm also a member of a guild, which unlike a lot of them is very informal, and rarely gets anything done :rolleyes: good group of people, i don't join in on the instances as i don't find it fun.

Oblivion looks like great fun, but i like the odd group session, or helping another player on a quest every so often, i don't think i'd get the same feeling :eek:

18. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

You'll still have plenty of fun without the social elements. I personally recommend finding a friend to play with, someone you know IRL, as I really really enjoy that a lot more than when I used to play solo - but it's possible to ignore everyone else in the game and still enjoy it :)

19. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

one thing springs to mind..

[​IMG]

20. harveypooka macrumors 65816

You could, but you'd be missing out on a lot of the WoW experience. WoW is the community and it all depends on what server you're on. Why not just try a RPG like Oblivion, I reckon you'd get more out of that.

21. topgunn thread starter macrumors 65816

topgunn

Thanks to everyone for your insight. Seeing as how I have some time tonight and tomorrow and possibly over the weekend, I believe I will fire it up and see how it goes.

I am not opposed to forming up with anyone on occasion. I just don't want to have to depend on it. I would simply like to be able to get online, play and have a good time regardless of who else is on.

What I was hoping I could avoid was sitting around in a group of prepubescent boys listening to them talk about how cool they say they are all while we wait for the giant pickle monster to repop so that the pimple faced leader can bark commands at me so that I can have a shot to obtain the uber l33t girdle that I need to protect myself from the kid with anger issues who hunts down newbs to somehow justify his existence. I had my fill of that playing MUDs and it no longer fits my concept of fun.

22. harveypooka macrumors 65816

Hmm. Nature of the beast if you're on a PvP server - but not all. I quit WoW after a year of playing - it just got tiresome. Especially when you get to the stage of pure leveling, it's pointless. However I have a mate that plays most evenings and does have fun regardless if he's in a group. He has about eight characters at varying levels and he enjoys that aspect of it. It really, really depends what you're after.

23. sb58 macrumors 6502a

sb58

isn't socialization the entire concept behind MMO's?

24. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Well, sounds like you don't want to play on a PvP server anyway, at least. Otherwise, end-game 40-man raids can be fun, as long as you find a good guild. The definition of this can vary though. Tends to be that the guilds that "get **** done" tend to take the game pretty seriously—meaning if you don't have your ass in gear, you'll get kicked, and justifiably so. Most of the end-game encounters require that people know the fights and do what they're supposed to. That's not to say that there aren't good raid leaders who are also decent human beings, but there's a certain level of hard-assery it takes to run an effective (read: profitable) raid.

Keep in mind though, if you don't like getting ganked by enemy players in PvP and the idea of running end-game instance raids doesn't sound appealing to you either... there really isn't much for you to do in WoW. It's either PvP or PvE once you hit the level cap. Of course, BC might've changed that somewhat, I hear the level 70 raids are focused on being smaller, rather than the 40-person dungeon crawls of the 60 days (MC, BWL, AQ40, and Naxx). But I can't speak from personal experience on that one—I sold my epic 60 before BC came out and escaped the time sink that is World of Warcraft for good. ;)

25. iSee macrumors 68040

iSee

Haha, we could form our own guild, the antisocials.

Rules:
    1. You are not obligated to help other guild memeber. In fact, it's discouraged.
    2. Chatting with guild members is heavily discouraged.
    3. Organizing guild events is prohibited.
    4. Everyone in the guild has the same rank.
    5. Anyone who levels significantly ahead of everyone else will be kicked (except that no one is monitoring this, so its kinda theoretical).
    6. ...