Antivirus For MAc oSx

Discussion in 'macOS' started by cowman007, Mar 26, 2007.

1. cowman007 macrumors regular

Does anyone know a decent free antivurs program for MAc osx? I do alot of downloading from the internet so Im worried about these kinds of things. ANy ideas?

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

There are NO VIRUSES FOR MACS. You DO NOT need one.

People who use them use them to scan for windows viruses incase you are sending files to an unprotected PC...

3. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

There are, however, nefarious java applets, and statistically speaking there's a high probability that something nasty will show up sometime. There's no harm in trying to be a little pro-active.

4. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

True - no harm no foul, but I still don't run it (yet). I practice good browsing habits and generally good computing habits, so if something comes out, then I'll worry about it.

Currently, however, I roll without it.

5. k2k koos macrumors 6502a

k2k koos

Virus, what virus

There are no virusses for Mac yet, there is some nasty software out there, and there are some security issues, but nothing that could cripple your system in a sneaky un detected way. Virus protection is only useful to prevent passing them on from a PC, via your Mac, to another PC, your Mac will not be affected, but the other PC will.

Do not worry, but keeping a watch full eye is a good idea, you never know.

6. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

There has been a few viruses on the Mac OS. non that have been threatening at all, but there have been a few. As the platform becomes bigger and more widely understood there is the potential to see some more popping up. There is already malware and spyware for the Mac, not as apparent, but its there. more bigger threats could be just around the corner. General common sense in regards to internet usage is still the best medicine, but if the program is free why not use it.

7. smokeyrabbit macrumors 6502

This is discussed every other day. There are no self-propagating malware (true viruses) for OS X. There are several proof of concept trojans that you'd have to be a fool to intstall, and if someone can physically access your Machine, they can run some damaging apps. You can also stick a fork into your own eye and fill your CD tray with peanut butter, or just rip out your own hard drive and cause "data loss". Most mac users don't worry about this stuff because it's not really a problem. I never have any AV software running. I think that people are basically evil, too, and I still don't filter any email attachments that go out to my friends and relatives (who insist on forwarding every single internet myth chain email to me still) for PC malware. Sorry for the negativity, the chimp made me do it...

8. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

dartzorichalcos

Just install Security Updates from Software Update and you'll be fine.

9. biturbomunkie macrumors 6502a

10. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Where? AFAIK, there currently is not even a rumor of "nefarious java applets." Java applets run in their own "sandbox." Even if they are "nefarious," they cannot so anything outside their "sandbox." It has been years since there have been reports of an applet that managed to break out. Sun quickly fixed the problem.

11. theman5725 macrumors 6502

There are no virsues for OS X. Using an anti virus program is a waste of time and computing resources. :apple:

12. cowm007 macrumors regular

13. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Touché. Sandbox they may be. Call me paranoid, but for how long? I will however continue to use AV and require it for all corporate installations.

Frankly I'm fairly certain that the average intel Mac user isn't using that much of their available resources. And the fact that Widgets are a true waste of resources apparently doesn't cause anyone to shout "STOP USING WIDGETS!". :rolleyes:

14. zblaxberg Guest

zblaxberg

www.apple.com

looks like someone hasn't seen the :apple: website...

15. KershMan macrumors 6502

Just because there are not current viruses on OS X does not mean you should not run antivirus software. We even run antivirus software on our Solaris boxes.

If you exchange files on a regular basis with Windows users, you should run the software. Especially in a business environment where you can be found liable for propagating viruses. Just because it doesn't "affect" you doesn't mean you are off the hook.

16. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Java's stakeholders are not asleep at the switch. The vulnerbilities that cropped-up in the past were caught and fixed. They will catch and fix any that appear in the future. This is not to say that you should not run AV. But the point remains: There are no Mac viruses. There are no Java vulnerabilities that affect the Mac. The only reason to run AV is to disinfect contaminated files that you receive from Windows users.

17. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

And prepare for the future.

18. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

Antivirus software is only truly effective against known viruses, and since there aren't actually any for OS X, running antivirus on a Mac won't prevent anything other than passing on Windows viruses to Windows users. It can't truly protect against something that doesn't even currently exist.

19. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

That's one way to look at it. Another way is to remember that DATs are released often, and when there is some sort of malware widely released for OS X, there will be a DAT soon to follow.

20. jesteraver macrumors 6502

I use Norton.

It's pretty good its found a couple trojan horses but wouldn't do much anyways they were for mostly to wreck havoc on windows

21. cowman007 thread starter macrumors regular