Antivirus Programs for Macs?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Eevee, Aug 17, 2004.

1. Eevee macrumors 6502a

Eevee

Just got my 15" powerbook and was wondering if I need an Antivirus program. Believed that most PCs get infected, and Macs rarely get hit. Is this correct? If not, which program should I get?

2. Ryan1524 macrumors 65816

Ryan1524

i don't have an antivirus on my PB and don't plan to install one.

most mac users install AVs to be corteus and not pass on windows viruses, but it's really un-necessary for our sakes. we simply don't have to suffer the virii that plaques the windows world. welcome to the greener side of the fence.

3. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

No malicious virus has been written to exploit security holes in Mac OS X since it's initial release 3+ years ago. If you are paranoid, just turn on your Firewall and download updates when they become available.

4. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

Install NAV on your Mac will only hinder its performance. Save your money and spend it towards more RAM.

5. cslewis macrumors 6502a

cslewis

Don't waste your money. There was only one virus ever written for the mac, and that was a while a ago. I'm not even sure if it was for OS X. If you don't know, viruses written for Windows (about 99.9999%) :p can't infect macs. So download strange apps, and open attachments all you want. :D

6. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

Just FYI, there were loads of viruses for the mac before OS X. Most seemed to be from quite some time ago though, and some of them were around for years (one got onto a macaddict Cd a few years ago). OS X though has been free of viruses. There was a proof on concept one written, but none "in the wild"

7. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

The only type of virus you could possibly get is a Microsoft Office file with a macro based virus. Even then, you'd just have one corrupt file, and it wouldn't spread.

8. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

I have a .mac account so i downloaded virex 7.2 from them...can't do any harm, it came with the membership so it was free....I guess i just have it for my own peace of mind ;)

9. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

except for waste system resources

10. vkapoormd macrumors member

i agree with the everyone else; i initially had Norton AV on my 15" PB, but it did slow things down (so it seemed, and it took longer to boot up on a fresh start), so i got rid of it; haven't had any problems whatsoever, and i download all kinds of stuff. Bottom line, you don't need it, save your money. :D

11. zim macrumors 65816

zim

Virus? What is that?

I am a .mac users and have Virex. I run it once a month, it picks up on Windows viruses sent from my wife's job's relations, she is a product designer and deals with overseas companies, we see a lot of weird stuff come through. I also run it on my work email, I work for a school, we also get a lot of crap through that but again, Windows junk nothing that will hurt my babies.

I suggest getting a .mac account.

12. Eevee thread starter macrumors 6502a

Eevee

Thanks for the Info!

Hi all,

MacRumors Forums rocks!!

And thanks for the info! I was thinking of buying one last night, but glad I didn't.

:D

13. Fender2112 macrumors 6502a

Fender2112

Whatever you do, stay away from Norton. It has a knack for breaking things. In my case, Final Cut Express would crash and freeze my computer, forcing me to reboot. Something no other program has forced me to do.

14. drsuse macrumors member

what about norton utilities, would you say that's useful for osx?

15. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

It's a waste of 50 bucks. Now on my PC, $50 is nothing for a little security in windows world. Although it's like putting up a chainlink fence to protect your house from an army of tanks :rolleyes:

16. Jalexster macrumors 6502a

If you describe "useful" as corrupting your HDD, ruining you file tables, deleting your files, perfoming defrags on a system that dosen't need them and stopping your programs from opening, then yes, Norton is "useful" on Mac OS X.

Norton does a good job on Windows, but it will ruin your Mac. Your Mac dosen't need utilities. It defrags automaticaly I believe, and does other system maintainance automaticaly.

17. Jalexster macrumors 6502a

Norton AntiVirus 2004 + ZoneAlarm (Pro or Basic) + Spyware Doctor + Spybot + Mozilla Firefox + Mozilla Thunderbird + latest Windows updates + 2 hardware firewalls = Safe WinXP computers. Heh heh.

All are free except for Norton AntiVirus and the two Hardware Firewalls. WOOT.