Antivirus software advice

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by billyergs, May 24, 2005.

1. billyergs macrumors member

Do the majority of mac users use some type of antivirus software?

Any recomendations?

I purchased Norton Antivirus 9 from Compusa today only to find out that it's not fully compatible with OSX :\ Hope they will refund me..

2. jiv3turkey748 macrumors 6502a

jiv3turkey748

theres never been a virus on osx ... dont waste your money on antivirus software

3. Flying Llama macrumors 6502a

Flying Llama

I hope you are aware that there are no viruses, spyware, malware etc on the mac. None. Nada. Niente.

So I don't even own Antivirus software for my mac. A lot of people here don't, no doubt a huge majority. :)

EDIT: Beaten by the punch!

4. iGary Guest

iGary

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yes, you're not thinking shallowly enough for the Mac world. Take that money and spend it on cute accessories for your computer right this instant! :D

6. billyergs thread starter macrumors member

The receipt states "Opened software, games...may only be exchanged for the same title."

Thing is the only Norton antivirus that is fully compatible with OSX is Norton antivirus 10. I bought version 9 which was all they had for sale at compusa (which is also the only version for sale on compusa.com and macmall.com.)
    So I hope they can refund me or atleast give store credit.

The price was $79.99 so if I get store credit any recomendations on what to get? It's a brand new g5 2.7 which is primarily used for graphics and video editing.

7. iGary Guest

iGary

Spend 20.00 and get a shuffle. :D

8. Hugh Jass macrumors newbie

Don't need anti-virus software on Mac OSX. Enjoy it, it's a good time to have a mac.

A word of caution: RUN from anything that starts with the dreaded word "Norton". Norton software does far more harm than good in the mac world. You don't need it anyway.

9. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Yes, it's called OS X :D ;)

If you haven't already, just don't open the box and they should give you a refund....at least that's how it is at other stores.

10. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

Sorry but Compusa is crappy. Iono if you'll ever see that $79 again. :(

I think Norton is actualy BAD for your computer if i remember.

I know that Virex interfers with FCP. Wont let you import anything.

11. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

You've already got great antivirus software. Its called OSX :D

CompUSA may not let you return it, but I'm sure there's some moron on eBay who'd buy it for nearly full price.

12. mileslong macrumors 6502

mileslong

i use antivirus software, maybe too many years on a pc. i use intego virusbarrier. gives me peace of mind. it works fine with tiger. and NEVER, NEVER, NEVER use anything with the word norton in it. the biggest piece of bloated, spyware filled crap to hit the planet. this is not hyperbole when i say that their customer service is the worst in the history of forever. so is their website, you can never get rid of the junk off of your system. stay far away!

end of rant...

13. mattster16 macrumors 6502a

No Need

The only time I ever used antivirus on my powerbook was while I was in the dorms at college. They required it and somehow could tell over the network if I had it running or not. It was Norton 10, not a bad program, never interfered, didn't slow anything down, but the only thing it ever caught was PC viruses one might get when surfing...how should I say this...questionable websites? ;) Since then though I have uninstalled it.

14. buryyourbrideau macrumors 65816

buryyourbrideau

technically you can get "viruses" on a mac. you can get pc viruses through P2P sharing and many other ways as well

however these "viruses" just lay dormant and dont affect you at all. so i guess there kinda is a "need" for a virus scan and then there isnt.

me = no need
    :p

15. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

No need for anti virus.

Just get your Firewall running (System Preferences -> Sharing) and back-up any vital data you cannot afford loosing at a regular interval and you probably never will run into any problems. :)

Chances are that if there ever surfaces a Mac OS X virus, the existing AV software wouldn't even recognize it when it hits you. In which case you're better off with good back-up routines, anyway... ;)