Antivirus software on macs???

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by benthad, Apr 14, 2005.

1. benthad macrumors newbie

benthad

Hello

My first post :D

Antivirus software on macs, is it necessary???

I'm thinking of 'switching' :) and was just wandering how many of you hardcore mac users out there have some kind of Antivirus software running on your macs?

I'm looking to buy a 12" iBook or Powerbook. I know macs are nowhere near as susceptible to viruses as Windows machines but I'd like to know If I should be concerned and run some kind of Antivirus when I do get my mac. I've read on some sites that macs are becoming targeted more.

Cheers.

2. tylersail macrumors newbie

Well my friend, that is the beauty of a mac. We mac users have no need for such annoying, hard to control software because macs never recieve virus'. I would be hard pressed to find anyone with that kind of problem. I know it'll be wierd not scanning for virus' or having a slower computer by the day, but you have crossed over, or at least you will soon. Enjoy!

3. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

Anti virus program is not necessary as of now. I got rid of Norton AV which I installed my 2 PBs (I should not have done that in hindsight). So far, no virus on my Macs. I pass-word protect my wireless network and activate OS X's firewall.

4. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

While it is true that you do not need an anti-virus app right now for OS X, it may not hurt to have one. Two main reason: 1) You can stop the spread of Windows viruses to Windows PC users. 2) One day if/when there is a virus for OS X, the people who don't have any AV app may be hit hard and caught off guard.

If you have .Mac you can use Virex which comes free with a .Mac subscription.

5. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

If you are going use your laptop on a corporate network, where you share files in a file server, it may be a good idea to use an antivirus program. Not to protect you, rather others' Windows machines, since you could still pass on an infected file.

Otherwise I wouldn't bother if I were you.

If there's ever a Mac virus, there'll probably be a fix out for it pretty quick.

6. plasticparadox macrumors 6502

I have free access to McAfee Virex, as I'm a .Mac subscriber, but I didn't bother installing it after my last HD wipe. What's the point? It just slows down the startup.

7. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Nothing here, for 9 years running.

Still happy.

9 years=total years of Mac w/o antivirus software :D

8. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

To stop virus from accidently being passed on to Windows users. They're harmless on Macs, but if passed on via file transfer or e-mail, Windows users can then become infected. Even if there was a Mac virus, the Anti-Virus companies would still need time to find a fix, and you'd need to update your software, so if you rarely exchange files with Windows user, you really don't need it. It's there just in case.

9. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

I may have some windows virus within the office files I get from work but I don't care at all, really, I have to forward these files but it's their fault if they use windows and don't have antivirus activated, they should get a mac. I remember a customer complained because a .doc file had a known virus in a script or whatever it was, dunno, I asked him if he had his antivirus program activated and he said I don't need, I use windows, :D , priceless, I said, what you need is a mac. his company is running now with the first 4 mac minis and are planning to get more with the next rev.

10. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

Theres very few anti software programs on the mac because you don't need it.

11. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Let me put it to you this way. Putting antivirus software on a Mac is like giving a cathoic priest a box of condoms. If there's a need for it... somebody's doing something wrong.
    :D

12. antrabbit macrumors member

antrabbit

My Dad runs Norton on his G5 as he's got some PCs networked to it and doesn't want to infect them. The resubscription cost him £3, so if you want to be safe it doesn't really cost that much.

I've got Intigo on my Pbook just in case, as Macs are becoming more popular some people may start writing viruses for them. Of course I may have wasted my money.

13. Poogie Bear macrumors member

i just got a virus alert

2005-04-15 09:07:31 -0700
    /Users/maxruiz/Library/Caches/Safari/04/03/3202687567-0758068275.cache/0000040d.js/0000040d.js
    Infected with virus Exploit-MhtRedir.gen.
    The file has been deleted.

anyone know what it means?
    :confused:

14. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

McAfee does - http://us.mcafee.com/virusInfo/default.asp?id=description&virus_k=101033
    It just means you accessed a hacked IIS (Microsoft again!!!) server. You were in no risk at all, since it's only MSIE on Windows that is at risk from this. Remember the virus checker will look for all known viruses/trojans.

15. Poogie Bear macrumors member

16. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

You are so wrong about this.

You think it doesn't affect you? One effect of viruses/trojans/other malware is to form zombie networks. Yes, these are unpatched, insecure Windows machines, but they've come close to bringing email to its knees - you think having 80% of the email traffic as spam doesn't affect all computer users?

Besides that, by passing infected files on in your corporate network, you are costing your own company and coworkers time and money to fix it. I certainly wouldn't want to do it at work ... I've never had a virus on any of my PCs, but I still run a virus scanner since my laptop spends 80% of its uptime attached to the corporate network, either in the office or via VPN at home. I expect to have to do the same when I get a Mac. Since our IT department is Windows only, I'll have to buy and install it myself.

17. ct77 macrumors member

I've never heard it put quite that way -- very apt. :)

18. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

if you didn't have antivirus software, how would you know if you did have non-malicious viruses?

19. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

20. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Nothing ever went wrong... not being connected to the internet for a number of years helped, too.

And when it was connected, I eventually did borrow some software from a friend. Installed it, then uninstalled it after scanning. Nothing.

21. iGary Guest

iGary

22. echozoom macrumors newbie

How worried do I need to be about threats such as this from PC World? I was reading this earlier this week and wondered if I needed to take any of these precautions. I don't know much about the terminal so they seem complicated and I didn't really know how to do them or any possible side-effects. Thoughts?

Thanks!

23. lorenzo macrumors member

why the need to even wipe out your mac hard drive if you have no virus or spyware problems?

24. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Maybe he upgrade his operating system?