antivirus software?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by gonnabuyamac, Jan 5, 2007.

1. gonnabuyamac macrumors 6502

Sep 26, 2006
    i'm a new mac user. coming from the world of windows, i'm paranoid about the whole virus thing... even with the promise of virtually no viruses for macs. does anybody actually run antivirus software, or do most people just go without?

i'm looking at Internet Security Barrier X4 by Intego. It's kind of pricey, and I'm not sure that I even need it.

Let me know what you think.
  2. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

Oct 12, 2006
    Pasadena, CA
    I've used OS X for 2 years now with absolutely no anti-virus software and have not had a single problem.

that's my 2 cents :)
  3. crazycat macrumors 65816

Dec 5, 2005
    You dont need it, when i first bought a mac i bought an antivirus software which was at best money wasted.

Enjoy your macs and forget something called a virus unless you run Paralles or Bootcamp :)
  4. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

Staff Member

Jan 20, 2005
    Get's free but very good. I run it once in a while. About the only thing you have to worry about at the present time is passing along a Windows virus to your PC-using friends.
  5. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    There isn't a need yet, but it's smart to be cautious.

For now, free is the best way to go. ClamAV and the graphical shell ClamXav is available.

I swore by Virex for years but it never detected a virus, even on Mac OS where there were 38 native viruses at the time.

Intego has relatively good software but they're a bit slow so, if you go with their products, don't update the operating system until they've updated their software.
  6. Mac'Mo macrumors 6502a

Aug 29, 2006
    lols im wondering the same thing, i know osx is good against malware but what if you d/l a bit?