Any Advice or Repair Help on abused Pbook

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by lusyd, Jan 1, 2005.

1. lusyd macrumors newbie

The new year is off to a typically fantastic start.

An acquaintance came by work to show off some new plugins. He set up on his 12" 867 Al Powerbook. I was running around setting things up, and I tripped on his power cable, knocking the powerbook of the desk. It landed pretty hard, right on the bottom corner while opened - Chassis was warped from being knocked out, the battery doesn't sit right, its skewed and loose - I think the bottom right of the keypad is a little jacked up.

It seems to work alright though. The case seems to have absorbed most of the shock.

I have to take care of the damage, sadly. Local NYC shop Tekserve said this would be something I would have to send in to Apple, and not covered under any warrantee... they guessed apple would charge $500-1000 in parts and labor.

My question is, how should I go about fixing this thing? Are there any cheap ways to do it? Any ideas would be appreciated, I am at a loss..

Below is a bad camera phone pic of the damage..
    Lucid
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. lusyd thread starter macrumors newbie

Any satisfied customers with links to cheaper yet reliable shops would be great too... Thanks. Lucid

3. Gokhan macrumors 6502a

powerbook

well it might be cheaper to just give ur friend what his machine was worth and keep the machine for ur self so he gets a bit of dough to spend and u get a battered pb

oh well

maybe a 3rd party would do this repair for 400-500$ min

lot of labour involved !!!

sorry

4. lusyd thread starter macrumors newbie

do you think it would be any cheaper if i just did enough repairs to make sure its in working order, and the battery or whatever isn't falling out... as opposed to a full overhall that leaves it in new condition?... because i can live with a scuffed up chassis if the thing will be fully functional..

5. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

If you can get it fixed for i'd say less than $600 i would fix it otherwise sell it on ebay for $300-$400 and just buy a replacement computer.

Thanks really to bad.

6. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Do you think the acquaintance will accept that? In the end, you'll have to fix it to his/her satisfaction.

7. lusyd thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey thanks for the responses..

I think whats happening is I am going to trade my 2 week old ibook 12", which is similar in value to the original 12" alu.pbook now.. and I will be stuck with the damaged laptop, i can live with it if its only the cosmetics that aren't in good shape. So i guess I am asking can some minor cosmetic repairs get this thing in working condition... theres no scary problems with operation right now. I am going to take it in to get a diagnostic done on it..

8. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

Ouch! Just looking at that picture makes me cringe. Poor PB. :(

Daniel

9. Gokhan macrumors 6502a

ok

well thats good ?

look if u feel confident enough although 12inch laps are a mess have a go at fitting a replacement case from 3rd party company or get it fully repaired you can only partly repair it if u do a bad job = take it apart beat meatal back to origiiinal shape ???

try ?

or 500$ repair which is not worth it ! sell it on ebay man and let someone else have the headach ! when ibook's are going for 650$ bite the bullet and add 200$ to the ebay sale and buy new and perfrect ibook off amazon.com

:)

10. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Download the service manual and take a look at the exploded view to see which parts you need...

Then take a look at the price of the parts.

http://www.pbparts.com/shop/_al+_cs

Case parts are about $100-$200 each.

11. Mertzen macrumors 6502

Mertzen

My thoughts exactly .. but if you do this take pics of every step you taka .. catalog every group of screws [ an egg carton is good to keep them in little groups ] .. and take your time

Here is another store with parts : http://powerbooktech.com/

12. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

It is $606 for a new bottom case assembly, if Apple does it.

13. winwintoo macrumors 6502

Has the guy checked his home owners insurance - maybe his powerbook is covered under that? Does your office have insurance that would cover such and occurrence?

It hurts to look at that picture though. It amazes me how much cosmetic damage a Mac can sustain and still keep on working.

Hope you can work it out.

My PB has decided to weld it's innards all together and quit working. I'm seriously thinking of replacing it with an iBook - I wish I had someone to blame for the problem - can't even blame me though.

Take care, Margaret

14. lusyd thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi,
    There's no insurance, a friends got a deductible of 500 on his, so it is really no loss..

I think its still working because the corner that sustained damage is the battery side, the logic board and HD are on the left side, which is in good shape.

15. winwintoo macrumors 6502

I wish you lived closer to me - maybe we could work out a deal - I'd rather have an iBook but can't justify one right now and I'm saddled with this messed up PowerBook that looks real nice but works only according to some secret schedule that I'm not allowed to know about :confused:

Take care, Margaret