Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by entatlrg, Nov 1, 2012.
What's your thoughts, would you make the switch?
Only if they canned me out of my on-the-road sales job and am going free agent doing graphical design all day at home.
Im thinking about it. I have a 13" MBA and 17" MBP. I'm thinking of ditching both for a rMBP or maybe even switching back from laptops to an iMac. Haven't decided yet though, still thinking on it.
I just got my first iPad two months ago and am shocked how much more I use it than either laptop.
I am very satisfied with my 13" MBA. The problem is with the 13" rMBP is that there are no discrete graphics. It's a bit overpriced too.
It also is significantly heavier and noticeably thicker ..... In that respect my MBA 13 beats the rMBP 13 in every aspect. No way I will buy the rMBP ...
(Overpriced is relative. In a way my MBA was overpriced to, but I opted for the i7 2.0 8Gb 512Gb maxxed out version to make sure I would never run against its limits. A few months down the road I am seriously glad I made that decision)
I switched and I'm glad I did. Granted, the only real differentiator is the retina screen, but that's what I've been waiting for. Everyone is complaining about the price, but a similar equipped Air (8GB Ram, 2.0 with turbo boost to 3.1, 256GB storage) is $1699. That's $300 less than the same spec rMBP. $300 for Retina? And the only tradeoff being a half pound of weight? Yes, please.
Not worth to upgrade
I think the MBA Air with 8GB and i7 is as good or better in ways than the 13" RMBP but it depends at what cost you get it at. If you get a student discount or can go refurbished than the MBA can be very attractive.
For instance is a MBA through Apple i7, 256GB, 8GB is $1700, same as the base 13" RMBP. So for $1700 I would take less GB (128GB) and hope that the 4000 Intel can power the Retina on everyday tasks.
I got my MBA i7, 256GB, 8GB refurbished for $1450 so to me a Retina screen wasn't worth it.
My final thought is go with MBA but if you can afford it and have to have the 13" RMBP then go all out and upgrade the SSD and get the i7.
Personally if you can wait 9-12 months wait for Haswell processors and possibly MBA Retina spin offs, but again MBA Retina spin offs are going to be 22-42% more (increase of RMBP). So average that out that's a possible 32% increase. So 11" RMBA base might be $1350-$1400. 13" RMBA might be $1500-$1600.