Any Amateur Radio operators on here? (expecting almost no replies)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by 840quadra, Sep 13, 2005.

1. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Any Amateur Radio operators on here, talking the HAMs and such.

I hope I am not the only one, but I think it would be cool to assemble a small list to keep track of us.

If you are, I am curious why you got your License, and how long you had it.

73's (Ham Speak)

840quadra
    KC0LAW

2. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

My friend Colin is a radio thingiee.

After the Hurricane, he was at the red cross every day, communicating with people from Louisiana, helping out.

He's had his license since he was like... MAN, I dunno. Ask him,

KU5B.

(what a lid..)

3. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

I let my license expire many years ago and so I don't consider myself a Ham anymore. I got my license in 1985 (when I was age 15) and so I guess it expired around 1995. My call sign was KB4QQE.

4. al3000 macrumors 6502

My great uncle is really into this, he was demonstrating it to me the other day - really fascinating. He used to use radios, but now he uses echo cast on his computer.

5. Oryan macrumors 6502a

Oryan

I've been working on getting my license off and on. My dad and brother are HAMs and often help with tornado spotting and emergency management. It's something I'm looking forward to helping with next summer.

6. oldschool macrumors 65816

oldschool

i've always wondered about HAM radio operators...

can someone give me a rundown?

in what capacity do they help out with emergency management?

7. darkwing macrumors 65816

8. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

One guy on eBay thought that I was. But alas, I am not...

9. darkwing macrumors 65816

oldschool, I am not the best person to answer this as emergency communications really doesn't interest me. I'm more interested in microwave experimentation and HF mobile applications. HAMs were crucial during the 1989 earthquake that hit the San Francisco bay area. HAMs are also used along marathon routes and bike races to monitor the athletes and call for help if anyone becomes injured or dehydrated. I've been asked if I'd like to volunteer for things like that in the past.

In the olden days, before satellite phones, HAMs would hook up phones to the radios so soldiers away at war could talk to their families.

10. 840quadra thread starter Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

I primarily use my license for doing Automotive Rally Racing events. I am one of the Road marshals that will radio into net control to notify of emergencies, and or conditions that could effect the safety of a rally event.

My interest in getting into radio license came from working at a rally and listening to Net control. The radio operators are an important part of any rally event, because in most cases Cell phones will not work, and CB radios don't have enough distance (or discipline of primary users or protocol ). The HAM radio running on 2m has enough coverage to reach 5 - 10 miles depending on conditions, and offers great freedom.

I am also one of the people that volunteers to spot for weather issues, or during emergency events if needed.

11. maestro55 macrumors 68030

maestro55

The Amateur Radio Network is one composed of many different trained operators who use amateur radio for pleasure and for emergency communications. To find out more see the ARRL website at www.arrl.org.

I am a 17 year old extra class amateur radio operator. I have been licensed for over four years and have enjoyed various different aspects of the hobby, including HF Contesting, HF Dxing, rag chewing, VHF FM, digital modes, and pretty much anything else I can get my hands on. I am a member of the ARRL (American Radio Relay League), The Pasadena Contest Club, Worldwide Young Contesters, and The Bosque County Amateur Radio Club. My HF equipment consists of an Icom IC-718, an MFJ-971 tuner, and Hustler 4BTV Vertical. The rest of my shack includes a Kenwood R-600 Communications Receiver with a 50 foot wire antenna, an Icom T2H portable 2 meter transceiver, and an Alinco DR-130 2 meter radio using a ringo ranger 2 vertical antenna about 20 feet up. The radios are powered by a 20 Amp Astron power supply.

73 de KD5OWO

12. dobbin macrumors 6502a

dobbin

I work in Emergency Management (in the UK). A lot of our plans rely on communicating using mobile phones during an emergency. If the cell goes down for whatever reason (too busy, technical fault, fire etc) then one of our back ups systems would be to use local amateur radio users to pass messages for us. They have created an organisation called RAYNET to facilitate this. To increase resilience this is just one of several back up systems, the others being satelite phones, landlines, other radio systems, pigeons, smoke signals, semafore etc ;)

13. Adonsa macrumors newbie

Hi 840Quadra,
    Yeah, count me in; just took and passed the exam last Saturday. I'm uncertain what i'll do next, as a licensee.

14. BuzWeaver macrumors regular

BuzWeaver

KB4IUB here, but I've not really messed around with the Radio in a few years. My Father is a pretty big Ham.

15. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Now, Frequency is one of my favorite of all time movies, but that's as close as it gets. :)

16. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

I'm a ham. Been a ham for 7 years now. I got my tech plus in August 1999 a few days after my 15th birthday, then upgraded to extra within 8 months (inc. 20 WPM code). I'm primarily a CW op. I use 2 M now and then, but HF is my favorite place to be. Unfortunately since moving into an apartment, I haven't been able to get on the air. I'm considering trying out an indoor antenna. Don't know how well it will work though. When I get a house of my own, I plan to have a well equipped station as far as antennas go.

17. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

Congrats on passing your test. There's TONS of stuff to do in ham radio, from building your own gear to QRP, to microwaves, emergency communications training, etc etc.