Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
How can I make these kind of visual identifiers on an image of my own. Any app to do this easily?

interface00.jpg

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
Man this OmniGraffle is just confusing the heck out of me.

What tool should I use to get exactly the above text label effect, line and everything, from my desired points on an image file that I dragged into the OmniGraffle document area?

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Okay, let's walk through an example.

For starters, pick Magnetized from the Stencils menu. The roundrect shape will be just right for this. Drag one onto the screen, and stretch it out to roughly the shape you want.

Let's add some text: Double-click the rectangle and type away. Click on the shape somewhere outside the text to finish. Next, press Ctrl-T to bring up the font inspector, and change it to whatever you like.

Now let's fix up the rectangle's appearance. Click the inspector icon in the toolbar to bring up the all-singing, all-dancing window. Hit the Style reveal triangle if it isn't open already, and you can kill the shadow with the middle tab.

The leftmost tab is for the fill properties (color). The little square to the right, next to the vertical slider, is what you click to change the background color.

I think that will do it to it. You can option-drag that finished shape to duplicate it, instead of recreating from scratch every time.

Next, to draw those lines: pick what you need (probably a plain old stright line) from the line menu in the floating toolbar up top. Back at the inspector window, pick lines and shapes (second tab) to change the stroke width and color (and make sure stroke is checked).

To avoid the magnet thingy while you're dragging the line into place, hold down the option key. To keep the lines nice and square, also hold down shift.

I think that's enough to get you going... (the description's a little verbose I guess, but actually doing it ain't so bad.)

pknz

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2005
NZ
Yeah I have to say that I too find OmniGraffle a bit of a pain in the @$$ to work with when I use it, which is quite infrequent.

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
pknz said:
Yeah I have to say that I too find OmniGraffle a bit of a pain in the @$$ to work with when I use it, which is quite infrequent.

That's funny, because I find it a pleasure to use. One of the best apps out there. I guess it's just a matter of familiarizing yourself with where everything is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.