Any Apple Conglomerates?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by jer446, Nov 6, 2005.

1. jer446 macrumors 6502a

I have apple stock, but kind of feel that it is at its peak, and i would like to buy some stock but dont really want to buy apple. I love the apple company, so was wondering if apple has any conglomerate companies that would be good to invest in?

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

What in God's name are you saying? Does Apple have any conglomerate companies? I suggest that you first look up conglomerate in the dictionary. Next, I suggest that you understand that good investors put their money only in companies that they understand.

3. jer446 thread starter macrumors 6502a

um maybe im using the word wrong but a conglomerate is a smaller company that is owned by a larger one, ex. i thought maybe apple had some other companies by different names.. No need to get rude i was trying to research so i can invest..

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Don't know if any are diverse enough to be granted that designation.

However, some of Apple's subcontractors/vendors may have some stock you can invest in.

Agere Systems, Inc., Ambit Microsystems Corporation, ASUSTeK Corporation, ATI Technologies, nc., Broadcom Corporation, Freescale Semiconductor, Inc. (formerly the Semiconductor Products Segment of Motorola Inc.), Hitachi Global Storage Technologies, Hon Hai Precision Industry Co., Ltd., IBM Corporation, International Display Technology, Inventec Appliances Corporation, LG. Phillips Co., Ltd., Matsushita, Mitsubishi Electric Corporation, NVIDIA Corp., Portal Player, Inc., Quanta Computer, Inc., Samsung Electronics, Synaptics, Inc., and Toshiba Corporation

The problem with conglomerates is that any shining unit they have is usually dragged down by underperforming units, but they are usually more stable.

Great if they break some of their units into tracking stocks, usually deadly if they decide to break themselves up.

---

However, if you want to invest directly in an Apple subsidiary, I don't know think you can.

5. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

Actually, a conglomerate is a larger company that owns many smaller ones that do diverse things, i.e. aren't directly related to each other.

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

No, that is not correct. A conglomerate is several companies operating under one large banner. General Motors, General Electric, ChevronTexaco, ExxonMobil, IBM, Viacom, Coca Cola, Pepsico, etc. are all conglomerates.

Macaddicttt has it about right.