any apps to open .exe

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by b0tt094, Nov 12, 2006.

1. b0tt094 macrumors 6502

b0tt094

2. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

3. b0tt094 thread starter macrumors 6502

b0tt094

lol

for mac:p

PS although windows sucks the vista's cd cases look sick :p

4. ChickenSwartz macrumors 6502a

Depends on what the executable is for. CrossOver Mac can run exe files, but limited apps with limited success.

5. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

You can always run Windows XP via Parallels and then launch the .exe files from XP.

6. TangoCharlie macrumors member

7. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I believe that the OP was referring to running/executing the .exe files vice looking inside them.

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I'm not sure just how seriously to take this thread... but just to chime one more thing in:

.exe files subsume a number of functions in Windows:

1) Windows applications -- as discussed, you either need to be running windows or emulating windows (or in the case of WINE derivatives, not emulating windows, whatever that means :D ) in order to run a Windows application. OS X cannot natively run Windows apps any more than Windows can natively run OS X apps.

2) Installer bundles -- occasionally there are reasons to want to crack open a Windows Installer Bundle to get at some of its contents. The example I'm familiar with is in order to install a Windows Mobile program onto a WM handheld without using desktop Windows. There's a program called FileJuicer that can help with this.

3) Self-executing archives -- these are essentially .zip files or something else that contain some code to extract themselves so that one does not need to have a decompression program to extract them. There're also occasionally reasons to want to open these on Macs. I think Stuffit will do that.

So the not-so-serious part of me assumes you're asking for (1), which is a waste of time. (2) and (3) may not be; if so, I hope the answers help. :)

9. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

Yeah - I'm not sure a boat load of sarcasm was what the OP was after :)

.exe files cannot be run under Mac OS X as they use the Windows API.

As someone above said, if you want to run EXE files, you'll need a copy of Windows running either through Parallels, Boot Camp, or (depending on what it is you're trying to run) CrossOver.

Edit: Aw, someone beat me to it.

10. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

well technically even textedit can open an exe file, so can Fire Fox...hey no one said it had to make sense when you opened it. :p

11. wal9000 macrumors member

Darwine can, but it's not designed for the average mac user yet. Complete pain in the *** to get it running. Google can probably help with the setup.

[​IMG]

12. wal9000 macrumors member

Also, Darwine won't work with a lot of exes. In fact, I've found very few that will work with it.