Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shaun.P

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 14, 2003
Omicron Persei 8
Any audiobook fans?

I much prefer audiobooks to regular books. Recently, I've become quite addicted! I like factual and technology based books. I buy the books through Audible and use their app on my iPhone.

Books I've listened to:
  • Steve Jobs - Walter Isaacson, 5/5
  • Creativity Inc - Ed Catmull, 4/5
  • The Pixar Touch - David A. Price, 4/5
  • Moonshot! - John Sculley, 3/5
  • DisneyWar - James B. Stewart, 4/5
  • The Man Who Couldn't Stop - David Adam, 3/5
  • Becoming Steve Jobs - Rick Tetzeli & Brent Schlender, 5/5
  • A Million Miles in a Thousand Years - Donald Miller, 3/5

Listening to soon:

• Born With Teeth - Kate Mulgrew,
  • The Innovators - Walter Isaacson,
  • The Girl on the Train - Paula Hawkins.

Any recommendations?

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I can understand people who drive a lot, or whose eyes need resting, or, perhaps, in hospital, loving the idea of audiobooks.

Personally, I love the physical act of reading, and I love to read a real book that comes between covers.

Above all, I love the idea of book shelves in a house, -
they are so civilised - and besides, you know that game you play, skimming someone else's bookshelves, mentally working out one aspect or dimension of just who they might be by the books on their shelves.

eicca

Suspended
Oct 23, 2014
I love the actual paper, but with a job and stuff it's hard to find the time to sit down with one.

I got real "lucky" last summer, my job had me behind landscaping machinery for 10 hours a day so I got loooots of audiobooks in and I quite enjoyed it.

Read a few Robert Ludlum, the whole Hunger Games trilogy, Divergent (which I hated), some Lee Child, and plenty of talk radio which isn't books but still fun.

Suture

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
I had purchased the Jobs audiobook and really enjoyed it. That was the last one I had finished. I had Audible for a year, but found myself not using it as much and wanting to just read more.

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
I tried an audiobook once, and I just couldn't get it. I'm not very good at absorbing information I hear; I'm much better at absorbing information when I see it.

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
I've tried an audio book of a book I've already read: Little Women (don't judge:p. Besides, it's a classic although modern reader would find the prose a bit musty.) It read almost like a play: lots of dialogue but a very description of the action. I understand the reasoning behind that, since reading word for word would make the audio book 10x longer.

My other issue with audio books is the quality is highly dependent on the reader. In Little Women, reader did a very great job with the voices. I found it quiet enjoyable. A different audio book I tried had a reader who wasn't as good. I stopped after the 1st chapter of Atlas Shrugged (a good book btw).

I much prefer the book version for all the nitty-gritty details that makes the world come alive in my head.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I've listened to a couple of audiobooks, and while they are enjoyable I much prefer to actually read than listen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.