Any audiophiles here?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Ted Witcher, Sep 27, 2005.

1. Ted Witcher macrumors regular

I saw some discussion somewhere about Bronfman arguing for some kind of tiered pricing structure on iTMS. There was great hostility towards the idea of paying more than $.99 for a song.

My question is, would a higher price be acceptable if you could get an uncompressed WAV file, or at least a lossless file? Something like www.musicgiants.com, only Apple style. Any thoughts?

2. steve_hill4 macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

I like to consider myself as an audiophile, (but largely don't have the equipment to really practice what I preach). I never buy songs from iTunes or anywhere, but prefer to buy the CDs and occasionally vinyl. I buy CDs not for sound quality reasons, but for cost reasons. Buying an album from a store, (usually online), costs little, if anything, more than downloading it and I get a physical uncompressed disc that I know will serve me well on a hi-fi, CD player, I can rip to computer - at ANT bitrate, copy to minidisc, etc.

If I were a downloader though, I think it should cost the same whatever the quality, since there are lower costs with online downloads, you effectively pay the same, but the cost differences get passed onto you. If it would cost any more, I would certainly say it should be no more than 25% higher than the standard would be acceptable.

3. maddav macrumors 6502

maddav

I'm an ex-audiophile, since I got a iPod mini (and now a nano) I decided to use 128kbps AAC for all my files (and it was practical due to my iBooks relatively small HD size). I think most things sound alright on the iPod, I can't tell the difference between 128kbps and 224kbps.

Unfortunately I recently got a new sound system and most of my 128kbps AACs sound horrible. Only those from the ITMS sound decent. Seems that I need to re-rip all my stuff (again), or I might just wait until I get my PowerBook. ;)

4. Ted Witcher thread starter macrumors regular

I guess I'm just trying to gauge interest in an uncompressed iTMS. I play my iPod through my stereo for convenience sake, but it would be nice to know that if I buy something from iTMS, I really am getting something as good as if I went to the store and bought the hard media.

5. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

I never paid more than $10 for a CD so there is little point in having a high bit rate download if I can rip it for less or equal money and have a backup of the song.
    As for quality... I usually rip 224AAC or 320AAC for my iPod and Lossless only for my home stereo.
    You can really tell the difference with good equipment, especially good headphones. Now I only wish iTunes would automatically downsize those songs when syncing the iPod...

6. maddav macrumors 6502

maddav

Now that is a fantastic idea, the only problem would be the time taken to downsize all the tracks whilst syncing. Plus MOST people I know with an iPod have never altered the default importing settings, so this would have little appeal.

Personally though, that is the best idea for iTunes & iPod that I've ever heard!

7. steve_hill4 macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

In the UK you can get new albums from iTMS for typically £7.99. You can buy that same CD from one online retailer for £7.95 with free shipping, you can even get it from the supermarkets for about £9.99.

For older albums, they cost typically £7.99 on iTMS, (I say typically for both as some albums can be a little more, some a little less, it's depending on tracks as we all know). I can find those from some online retailers for as little as £4.99, sometimes even shipped for free too. I can also go to some music stores and get it in their permanent sales for £4.99.

I say why bother.

8. musiclover137 macrumors regular

Are you suggesting that higher bit rates have high appeal for most iPod owners?

I don't think there is a big market for lossless formats.

My point is that if Apple decided to give more options for bit rates, they would probably be ok with adding a option in iTunes for adjusting the rates.

Also, they already have this option with the shuffle...

9. steve_hill4 macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

Well, if the option was available to store in lossless in the library and convert then sync with your iPod, I know more people would buy lossless, but only if it was the same price, or only a small amount extra.

I just can't justify spending a certain amount on an album I can get elsewhere within 20% of the iTMS cost at worst and get a physical disc, pressed on high quality machinery, with a high quality printed booklet. I certainly can't justify some older albums that I can get cheaper elsewhere, again higher quality.

Lossless or not, it wouldn't attract me.