Any Automator experts here?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mingspace, Nov 15, 2006.

1. mingspace macrumors member

How come for some reason, when I try to do something, and I take the logical steps, it doesn't work? For example, I am trying to delete all files with a certain extension...

I click "Find Finder Items"
    I click the folder where these files are.
    I've tried clicking name, and contains, and the extension which is ".MOI"
    And then I tried moving to trash. It doesn't work! Why??

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Just had a look and your problem is the ".MOI". As you specified look for extension, Automater already builds in the "." therefore it is looking for "..MOI" which it can not find.

Simple answer put extension to "MOI"

3. mingspace thread starter macrumors member

I just did that. It doesn't work either. Any other suggestions?

4. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

The way i have it set up is as follows:

1. Find Finder items:

Where - Desktop

Whose - Extension is equal to moi
    2. Move to trash

This works perfectly for me, are you sure the extension is actually moi looking in "Get Info"

5. mingspace thread starter macrumors member

Yes I am stumped to why it doesn't work for me... And even tougher, renaming files. I had it working the other day but only sporadically and only after I played for awhile with it.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Can you post a picture of your action in Automator (the right side window), o Serious Cat? I think maybe the problem is that it's hard to tell if what you did and what the other poster did are exactly the same without looking at them....

7. mingspace thread starter macrumors member

When I moved the files to desktop it worked... But not in the folder I had it in... Im puzzled. Any reason why that may be>?

8. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

None that i can think of, i tested mine both on the desktop and a folder deeply rooted in documents and they both worked for me.

Does it now work when you move the files back into that folder.

IF not then you could always add a move files to (probably best to get it to make a "temp" folder on the desktop) the desktop and then trash them, awkward.

9. mingspace thread starter macrumors member

OK So can you tell me how to rename the extensions on files? For example I want to rename MOD to MPG

10. mingspace thread starter macrumors member

I see something weird happening. It looks as if the place I am copying the files to as a backup when I try to rename the files are being changed. But the files I am actually trying to change is not being altered at all. :confused:

11. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Replace the action copy finder items to with a move finder items to

In regards to changing extensions - Assuming you already have the selection of files sorted out then add this to the bottom or where appropriate

Add the "Rename Finder Items" command.

Select the option "Replace Text"

In the "Find" field add .mod

In the "Replace" field add .mpg

If you want this to run without popping up windows on the screen select options and uncheck the "show action when run option"

12. mingspace thread starter macrumors member

Yes, I'll try that now, but why did it do that in the first place?
    What do you mean by "
    Assuming you already have the selection of files sorted out then add this to the bottom or where appropriate"?

Do I have to insert "Find Finder Items" before the "Rename Finder Items" module?

13. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Sometimes automator likes to protect your files

That is exactly what i mean, wasnt sure if you were consolidating two problems in one thread or what, so thought it would be best to add this in.

14. mingspace thread starter macrumors member

Can you undo an automator action?

15. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Depends on what it is you are doing, if it is moving files i have found that generally you can because Finder remembers what you did (but only up to a point. However for changing names and such the like i haven't found a way to do this so i dont think so.

If you want to be more confident about what is happening - Select the Show action when run box. This will give you a window asking for what to replace and with what (defaults to what you entered in automator). Then it gives you the option of cancelling the operation or proceeding.

16. mingspace thread starter macrumors member

I still cant get it to work right. I have MOD files on my desktop and I did the "Find Finder Items" module.
    Whose Extension is equal to MOD
    Copy Finder items to Movies
    Replace text, Find .mod Replace .mpg.

Didnt work. And im really confused. It's copying some in the backup folder... But not all. Even when working incorrectly, it doesnt fully work incorrectly. lol :confused:

17. mingspace thread starter macrumors member

Where do I find this option? Man I suck at this.

18. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Maybe when you are copying them the "links" to the files are being lost. Not totally sure so you could change the order, so rename the files and then copy/move them.

I'm going to bed now (UK) so either someone else will help or i will continue tomorrow.

I will PM you with my email address incase you need/want to send me something for me to check.

19. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

There should be little"triangles" at the bottom of most actions, click on it to expand and the option should be right there.

20. mingspace thread starter macrumors member

Sorry for asking so many questions, but I am playing around with this thing and just got an error message: The operation could not be completed because there is already an item with that name.

This makes no sense because I am searching and replacing text.