any better than spotlight?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by cyberone, Mar 23, 2006.

1. cyberone macrumors regular

I created some doc folders - but spotlight doesntt index them properly.

many documents aren't indexed and excluded if I do a search for certain terms.

is there a reliable search program for data stored on my machine?

yes, did I mention that I love freewares?

2. drumpat01 macrumors 6502

drumpat01

well there is always quicksilver, although thats more of an application launcher but its worth a shot and its free. There is also one called LaunchBar 4 which you can get a free trial for.

3. adese macrumors member

adese

under normal surcumstances does spotlight recognize .docs?

if so than you should just reindex spotlight and you should be fine

in terminal:

sudo mdutil -E /

4. adese macrumors member

adese

note that this will reindex the whole internal volume so if you are reindexing a different volume replace the "/" with the apropriate path

5. cyberone thread starter macrumors regular

adese - you are the man, its reindexing - takes about 3 hrs ... looks like it works! tks!

6. cyberone thread starter macrumors regular

hmm, still doesnt work despite reindexing ... still misses out on the same files ... som docs are indexed, some not, even in the same folder ...

7. RacerX macrumors 65832

If I recall correctly... Spotlight needs a helper for reading (parsing) documents from some programs. If the developer doesn't provide this, Spotlight is going to have problems indexing that information.

This was an issue back in the NeXT days with the Digital Librarian too.

8. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I have the same problem. Spotlight doesn't find certain files by content (especially old .doc files) and also, oddly, doesn't find certain other files (bluetooth setup assistant, for example). It's unreliable enough that I don't really trust it for everyday use, which is a major disappointment because it could be one of the best things about Tiger.

oh, and all that reindexing does it causes spotlight to "forget" all my mail messages until I select them individually.

9. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I've just fallen in love with Quicksilver.

If you think Spotlight is neat, Quicksilver is very impressive. I say give it a shot.

10. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I too am trying quicksilver and finding it very impressive. But can it search within a file's contents?

11. cyberone thread starter macrumors regular

right, quicksilver doesnt search contents, just file names ...

what the heck could the problem be with that spotlight misses ...

think I have to wait for Google Desktop Search for mac ... spotlight just doesnt do it, what an alpha software.

12. cyberone thread starter macrumors regular

but when I'm re-saving a document that spotlight hasn't indexed - after the re-saving its indexed ...

go figure.

13. MUCKYFINGERS macrumors 6502a

MUCKYFINGERS

Judging by all the praise it garners, I'll need to give Quicksilver a try sooner or later ...

14. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

the command
    Code:
    sudo mdutil -E /
    will cause a reindex of the internal volume, but what command do you need to reindex external volumes? or is it in fact, just that one. because i've got 4 x 250gb drives connected, and tis saying it's going to take 7hrs. so i'm assuming it may just do them all...

15. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

A couple of things that threw me when I started using Spotlight - when searching contents, you can only search for the beginning of words. (E.g. you won't find "Macworld" if you search the file for "world").

Also, when searching by filename, Spotlight treats capital letters like word breaks. So, if you search for "tooth", Spotlight will find a file called "BlueTooth Setup Assistant", but not "Bluetooth Setup Assistant".

Spotlight has been very unreliable for me too.