Any Bibliographic software for Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by odinzs, Aug 9, 2005.

1. odinzs macrumors newbie

I am going to get my new iBook in a few days time. :p
    I am a first time switcher so I am unsure about the applications that Mac has for handling citations and notes for my essays.

On the PC, I used to use Citation. I have found one for the Mac, Scribe , which is freeware (so that's good).

I was just wondering if there is any other application out there for Macs that you are using.

2. Benjamin macrumors 6502a

Benjamin

Very cool that you are getting an ibook, my brother just got his. Hope you enjoy it.. Anyway to answer your question you could try out ... Bibdesk http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/17063 however not exactly sure what you are looking for, but i think that is like scribe, personally haven't used either application. Anyway hope that helps somewhat.

3. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

if you're looking to input information about a book (author title year etc.) and have it make a citation in mla etc. format, try citation machine. it's an online thingy and i have it bookmarked. *very* handy, and of course free. http://citationmachine.net
    edit: read what scribe is and doesnt sound like citation machine is what you're looking for. sorry :eek:

4. odinzs thread starter macrumors newbie

I think I should be more specific about what I am looking for.

I am looking for an application that you can input the notes and quotes from the book, and it should also be able to manage the bibliography too. Most of the applications I have seen in versiontracker and macupdate can only manage the bibliographic but cannot let you input notes and book quotations.

5. oingoboingo macrumors 6502a

oingoboingo

Have you looked at EndNote? It's quite comprehensive and used widely in the area in which I work (biological sciences). It integrates into MS Word too. I'm not sure if it can handle notes and quotes though. See www.endnote.com for more details. It looks like they have a free trial version available, so you could check the note/quote taking ability.

6. St Soichiro macrumors regular

Almost all bibliographic software has the capability to add some notes/quotes. We used Endnotes for a while, but have been using Bookends for the last one year. Very happy, but it is Mac only! You can link files to a particular citation. We use that to link PDF copies of journals. I imagine that you could make a text file with all the quotations and link that. They have a free trial version. Allows you to do everything AFAIK, but is limited to 50 records. Give it a shot.