Any billiards junkies out there?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by gamer2k, Jun 2, 2006.

1. gamer2k macrumors newbie

If so, what's your game and what do you shoot with? :D

2. taybone macrumors member

My friend dragged me out one evening about 6 months ago to shoot pool, and boy am I glad that he did! It was my first time, and lets just say that he beat me a little more than I liked :D . BUT, i became hooked, and have been shooting at least once a week since then. I've gotten to the point that when I am practicing by myself, I can run a table without missing once... I have so much more to learn, but boy is it a blast!

3. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

Ive been working at a poolhall on and off for 4 years. I usually play with a house cue, but have a donated POS brunswick with a cracked shaft. After I get ride of the rust it doesn't matter what cue I use.

Im a fan of 8, 9 goes by too quick, trick shots seem to come and go.

Ben

4. gamer2k thread starter macrumors newbie

very nice, i've always been a fan of 9-ball just because of the cue ball control and precision that's involved. though i must say, i have a lot of respect for those who are consistently able to run an 8-ball table since there's so many more obstacles to work around.

cues are a secondhand obsession of mine, currently playing with a predator but hoping to eventually save up some cash and get a nice custom cue made to my liking.

anyways, cheers!

5. Boggle macrumors 6502

Boggle

1 pocket. and I have 2 falcon cues, both pretty old but I wouldn't trade'em for anything.

6. gamer2k thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah. A thinking man's game, very awesome. There's actually a cue in Falcons 2005 series that I'm still considering as being my next play cue, just because it uses a radial joint.

7. lith macrumors newbie

No snooker fans here?

Its been about a year since I've had my last game but its one of my favorite game/sports to play simply because its not a game that anybody can master.. Well maybe except for Ronnie. 9 ball on a 12' snooker table is quite fun if I had to play 8/9 ball. Still, nothing compares to snooker!

I use a Mastercue with a 8.5mm tip.

8. Boggle macrumors 6502

Boggle

Thanks. I just love that game. I'll play 8,9, straight, even 7, but 1 pocket. It's so addictive. And it improved my overall "game" 500%.
    About your cue choice...I like the the radial joint (never used a cue w/ one though) I imagine it would add a lot of control, and make for some precise english. Though when getting used to it, wouldn't it feel like you're using a tree trunk.

I like snooker, a lot actually. My problem with it is few places have a table, and almost nobody who plays it, (in the states) wants to play for fun, or beer, or table-time. It's always a race to "X" for $200 or something along those lines. At least w/ 1 pocket I can find people who want to practice instead of hustle. But I do play the occasional game on rainy afternoons @ buffalo billiards in DC.

9. lith macrumors newbie

Yeah thats true Boggle. Even in Vancouver BC, Snooker is a dying table sport. Snooker is mostly dominated by the asian crowd over here but it seems 9-ball is taking over especially with Taiwan in the picture.

A couple years ago, there were quite a few spots to play with excellent tables, even some now but its not the same quality as it was a couple years back.

Fortunately I know quite a few people that plays for fun so there's hardly any pressure, ie hustling.

10. todd2000 macrumors 68000

I started about a year ago with my frend, and we would go at least twice a week, we played 8/9ball usually. We were addicted, but alas I moved to VA and would you believe there are no pool halls anywhere near me. The nearest one is an hour away. This is my cue http://www.cheapcues.com/Players_Pool_Cues_G-2215.asp nothing fancy, but it was my frist one. I really can't wait, Im visiting my friend in a few weeks were gonna play every night Yay!!

11. Boggle macrumors 6502

Boggle

Where can you go in VA that doesn't have a pool hall nearby? Do you live in Big Stone Gap? Or somewhere similarly remote?

12. Chokladkakan macrumors regular

Sad to bring the thread up, but I think it's fun to talk about, and better bring this up than creating a new, I thought.

I play Snooker, pool and some billards (six holed carambole). I enjoy eight- and nine-ball, even though I prefer nine-ball, since it's profitable to play defensive. I use a Riley-450 when I play Snooker, and some no-name cue for pool.