Any billiards junkies out there?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by gamer2k, Jun 2, 2006.

1. gamer2k macrumors newbie

Jun 2, 2006
    If so, what's your game and what do you shoot with? :D
  2. taybone macrumors member

Mar 29, 2006
    Sacramento, CA
    My friend dragged me out one evening about 6 months ago to shoot pool, and boy am I glad that he did! It was my first time, and lets just say that he beat me a little more than I liked :D . BUT, i became hooked, and have been shooting at least once a week since then. I've gotten to the point that when I am practicing by myself, I can run a table without missing once... I have so much more to learn, but boy is it a blast!
  3. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

Jul 22, 2002
    Tacoma, WA
    Ive been working at a poolhall on and off for 4 years. I usually play with a house cue, but have a donated POS brunswick with a cracked shaft. After I get ride of the rust it doesn't matter what cue I use.

Im a fan of 8, 9 goes by too quick, trick shots seem to come and go.

4. gamer2k thread starter macrumors newbie

Jun 2, 2006
    very nice, i've always been a fan of 9-ball just because of the cue ball control and precision that's involved. though i must say, i have a lot of respect for those who are consistently able to run an 8-ball table since there's so many more obstacles to work around.

cues are a secondhand obsession of mine, currently playing with a predator but hoping to eventually save up some cash and get a nice custom cue made to my liking.

anyways, cheers!
  5. Boggle macrumors 6502

1 pocket. and I have 2 falcon cues, both pretty old but I wouldn't trade'em for anything.
  6. gamer2k thread starter macrumors newbie

Jun 2, 2006
    Ah. A thinking man's game, very awesome. There's actually a cue in Falcons 2005 series that I'm still considering as being my next play cue, just because it uses a radial joint.
  7. lith macrumors newbie

May 21, 2006
    No snooker fans here?

Its been about a year since I've had my last game but its one of my favorite game/sports to play simply because its not a game that anybody can master.. Well maybe except for Ronnie. 9 ball on a 12' snooker table is quite fun if I had to play 8/9 ball. Still, nothing compares to snooker!

I use a Mastercue with a 8.5mm tip.
  8. Boggle macrumors 6502

Thanks. I just love that game. I'll play 8,9, straight, even 7, but 1 pocket. It's so addictive. And it improved my overall "game" 500%.
    About your cue choice...I like the the radial joint (never used a cue w/ one though) I imagine it would add a lot of control, and make for some precise english. Though when getting used to it, wouldn't it feel like you're using a tree trunk.

I like snooker, a lot actually. My problem with it is few places have a table, and almost nobody who plays it, (in the states) wants to play for fun, or beer, or table-time. It's always a race to "X" for $200 or something along those lines. At least w/ 1 pocket I can find people who want to practice instead of hustle. But I do play the occasional game on rainy afternoons @ buffalo billiards in DC.
  9. lith macrumors newbie

May 21, 2006
    Yeah thats true Boggle. Even in Vancouver BC, Snooker is a dying table sport. Snooker is mostly dominated by the asian crowd over here but it seems 9-ball is taking over especially with Taiwan in the picture.

A couple years ago, there were quite a few spots to play with excellent tables, even some now but its not the same quality as it was a couple years back.

Fortunately I know quite a few people that plays for fun so there's hardly any pressure, ie hustling.
  10. todd2000 macrumors 68000

Nov 14, 2005
    Danville, VA
    I started about a year ago with my frend, and we would go at least twice a week, we played 8/9ball usually. We were addicted, but alas I moved to VA and would you believe there are no pool halls anywhere near me. The nearest one is an hour away. This is my cue nothing fancy, but it was my frist one. I really can't wait, Im visiting my friend in a few weeks were gonna play every night Yay!!
  11. Boggle macrumors 6502

Where can you go in VA that doesn't have a pool hall nearby? Do you live in Big Stone Gap? Or somewhere similarly remote?
  12. Chokladkakan macrumors regular

Aug 13, 2008
    Sad to bring the thread up, but I think it's fun to talk about, and better bring this up than creating a new, I thought.

I play Snooker, pool and some billards (six holed carambole). I enjoy eight- and nine-ball, even though I prefer nine-ball, since it's profitable to play defensive. I use a Riley-450 when I play Snooker, and some no-name cue for pool.